SP Antiquity Roman Republic Army beta v2.1 released!

Users who are viewing this thread

okiN said:
Gah, this is hopeless, I give up. Maybe I'll make my own Rome mod once the mod tools are out.

Final comments:

Oddball_E8 said:
the gladius should have a piercing damage since you did actually stab with it instead of cut...

and the falx should definately have cutting dammage... it was built to cut off limbs with a chopping motion... not a stabbing motion...

The gladius was primarily used for stabbing, but it also had sharpened edges and could be used to slash when necessary. I've been saying all along that both should be possible. As for the falx:

falxcut1.jpg

That looks like piercing damage to me (I also love the legionaries in the background with the cameras :grin:). Obviously the falx could also be used for cutting but since you can't have both I think piercing damage would be better. It'd also add variety since at the moment there are no two-handed weapons in the game that deal piercing damage with swing attacks.

And last but not least: standardized color uniforms are unrealistic here (They came later) and Greece isn't exactly a desert climate, nor is Italy.

actually... if you look closer... what hes done there is actually cut through the top of the shield... it was quite a mean weapon... but definately built for cutting... not stabbing...

another hint might be that the filename for that picture is falxCUT... not falxstab or something like that...

i think the point is its so strong that it should to peicing damage. If it can rip through a shield like that.

my attempt at hastati breast plate:

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/hastati.JPG

another problem is that be using the golden helm we cant have the black helmit. That is unless Noob edits the rsfs to link to that other black amour with the gold lineing and that hemet or creates another texture link altogether.

That photo almost looks like he cut through the shield from the top down. I see a small mark at the top of the shield and a line going down.

Im not making a judgement either way, just saying.

Yoshiboy said:
i think the point is its so strong that it should to peicing damage. If it can rip through a shield like that.

my attempt at hastati breast plate:

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/hastati.JPG

another problem is that be using the golden helm we cant have the black helmit. That is unless Noob edits the rsfs to link to that other black amour with the gold lineing and that hemet or creates another texture link altogether.

well by that reasoning any large twohanded sword or axe should use piercing damge...
but by definition piercing damage is if something is thrust into someone else by a sharp point... if you use a weapon in a cutting motion it still penetrates deep into the body, but not in a piercing fashion...
understand what im saying? (cos it might not make sense... im very tired)

falx

The falx is a pole-arm weapon widely used throughout Thrace and Dacia in Roman times, and later by the Romans themselves. Compared to most other weapons of its time, it is rather bizarre. It generally consisted of a three-foot wooden shaft with a long curved iron blade of nearly-equal length attached to the end. The blade was sharpened only on the inside, and the weapon did most of its damage in a pulling motion as opposed to a slashing or stabbing motion, and was thus highly effective against the conventional armor of the time; however, it left its wielder vulnerable due to its requiring both hands to use properly. It is most likely derived from the scythe, as it resembles one with its blade rotated 90 degrees. More rarely, the blade was shorter and attached to a basic sword hilt, where it could be used one-handed.

A large number of weapons are considered to be derived from, related to, or identical to the falx, with the rhomphaia being the most notable.

there... case closed... no piercing damage... just cutting...

Hmm... what are those? I started a campaign with Thrace and they kick ass :razz: They got heavy cavalry that also throw javelins, they're so uber <3

Falx in the pic was swang from the top. Though in Adamklissi Tropaeum (Trophy elected to commemorate Dacian war by Trajan {same war in Trajan's column but curved by perhaps legianary mason and depicts very different Roman Army} in Romania), a panel depicts a Dacial stubbing a legionary with Falx. He used falx's curved blade to get around the shield.

well i could stab you with an axe too... doesnt mean that it was used that way very often... it just means you use every way possible to hurt an enemy...
besides, panels like that arent a good indication of how equipment worked and was used...
for example, most egyptian chariots are depicted with the wheels mounded in the center beneath it... but in real life they were mounted at the rear, the artist just saved some space putting them in the middle...

Yoshi boy, i lub you. you're my mommy

Oh and by the way, in RTW, i like to hold me enemy with phalanx, and attack the side of then with falxman, and then charge my calvary on their back, i love how the falxman sqeezes them

A big axe would make the same thing to the shield (have you ever cut down a tree? The tiring thing isnt hit the tree, it´s removing the axe from it was tires you cause the cut is so deep) and is cutting damage. But Okin idea sounds good, maybe would worth changing it to make piercing just to have a piercing two handed melee weapon.

Really nice model yoshi, I didnt knew Spartans worn a tunic over their armor, just their bronce or iron cuirass. About greaves, Greek used to wear leather ones covered with metal plates in the front, but dont know if that ftis the time-frame (as the other time :oops: ).

i must say that i dont think that greeks will work well in this game... they fought using phalanx formations... this game cant even do a basic formation... pikes will be basically pointless...

hence the inclination of using barbarians (gaul or germanic tribes) as the enemy...

Oddball_E8 said:
i must say that i dont think that greeks will work well in this game... they fought using phalanx formations... this game cant even do a basic formation... pikes will be basically pointless...

hence the inclination of using barbarians (gaul or germanic tribes) as the enemy...

Actually I have made Greek's hellentic and after testing, they were so succesfully even if there is no phalanx formations yet. There are several way to get them to be packed together to use their pike against large group of cavalry and foot army. And even single of these hoplite can manage to kill strong swordman individually, but depending on ranking of these army are.

Just wait for the next version of Roman Republic mod when you get to play as Greek factor (swadian) or fighting against Greek when playing as Roman (Vaegir).

Eagle out...

i just hope your sollution to that problem wasnt to increase the damage of the pike like you did with the galdius...

Oddball_E8 said:
i just hope your sollution to that problem wasnt to increase the damage of the pike like you did with the galdius...

Not excalty... they are like regular pike.. And about gladius, you'll have to understand.. I balance this weapon in one of way. You are required to get VERY, VERY close to enemy, I mean really close where you'd get to smell enemy's nasty breath.. You'd go for quick stab kills, but often it depend where you hit them. After tweaking gladius for next version, it will take 2 hits to single hit kills, depending where you stab on enemy's body.

Sometime I balance weapons in different ways.

Eagle out...

Back
Top Bottom