SP Antiquity Roman Republic Army beta v2.1 released!

Users who are viewing this thread

You convinced me in the other thread Okin, but isnt 26c slashing damage too much for gladius? Despite its toughness, it was a short sword and so on, its hit should be less powerful due its smaller arc of the swing and less weight than a bigger sword.

I dunno, it seems reasonable to me. Falchions and broadswords do 27c, scimitars, nomad sabres and fighting axes do 26c. The gladius was short but it was pretty hefty, so I'd say 26c is ok. I'm more concerned about the speed, I can't make up my mind about whether 110 is too fast or not. It's the same speed as a knife. :???:

That´s the point, 110 is acceptable for thrusting, but maybe fast for slashing.

Also I´ve noticed that falx makes cutting damage instead piercing, (I thin it´s better that way cause 47 piercing could be devastating) but Eagle said that was piercing... just saying this if he wanna fix it.

And one prob, I´ve installed this mod over Huge and Mag.17, but I cannot use any old saves despite I can start a new game normally. I had installed the Nomad version for Mag7, so maybe thats the problem, but then... why I can start a new game and have the Knights on the inn if I installed the Nomad version as base for roman mod?.

Nahadiel, the saves aren't compatible because the mod changes some of the central text files. Personally I have the berserker heroes in the inn, I can't think of a reason why you would have different ones.

I really don't know about the weapon speed. It seems logical to me that the gladius would be faster than the bigger weapons, but of the default stuff the fastest is the dagger with speed 112 whereas longswords, arming swords, scimitars and sabres are between 104 and 100 speed. It's a bit confusing. :???:

In the end I stand by the stats I proposed, but maybe the knife and dagger speeds should be raised or something. I dunno.

As for the falx, I suggested these stats to Eagle: Swing attack 32 piercing damage, reach 120, speed 78 and a bonus vs. shields.

the gladius should have a piercing damage since you did actually stab with it instead of cut...

and the falx should definately have cutting dammage... it was built to cut off limbs with a chopping motion... not a stabbing motion...

Yoshiboy said:
i would be happy to do any kind of re-skins for this mod. Get me a pic and tell me what to edit :razz:

I will truy appericate it, and can you contact me via MSN messager or AIM?

MY msn mesager is Eagle_dxs_16(at)hotmail(dot)com

(change (at) to @ and (dot) to . and for some of reasons I had to do this way, one of them is to aviod spam email from these idiot commerical ppl that got email out from these forums. so watch for these bloody of idiot and false commerical ppl ok?)

AIM: Eagle114th

Eagle out...

For my next version of this beta, these are list of what I will do to improve my beta:

1) nerf the damage of gladius but roman gladius I and II are NOT SUPPOSED to be avaible in smith, since they are ONLY for roman army for balance reasons. The ONLY weaopns that are supposed to be avaible in smith are Gladius, Roman Spear, and Falx.

However, I might will have to reinstall unofficial mod tools because I can't seem to tweak and nerf the damage while saving it.

However, I will do everything in my power to fix and rebalance the new weapons in my Roman republic mod.

2) reduce the speed of gladiator, they seem to be too uber and will be nerfed greatly, but still, they will be powerful that you should consider about raising army of storng princeps to be able to defeat these group of gladiators.

3) I will start making a new formula of how to balance and reworking on each of new weapons.

4) hopefully new textures will be included in next version to give you more of true roman feeling when playinig as roman.

There will be more to list, and more of feedback wil be appericated as usually.

Eagle out...

I also want to let everyone know that, the only avaible in smith of gladius have abilties of only dong thrust damaging. That is one of reason why I gave it some high amount of damage. For example, you'd see damage of 35 to 45, and again, I have balanced it in some of way.

Realistically, the purpose of gladius it to get very close to enemy while using your huge shield as your body shield. As you are within a feet from enemy, that is when you'd go for quick stab kills against enemy. That is how famous of Roman legionaries have mowed down enemy armys that out numbered roman army so greatly. For example, barbarian soldiers always have out numbered them, but yet, with vast of advanced technologies and discplined training of military, they were able to hold enemy back quite well with great courages and mow them down with gladius style of quick kills.

In order to use this deadly weapons of gladius, you can only have one options of attacking by doing stabbing. However, you will be REQUIRED to bring very strong and large sheld with you. You will had to get very, very close to enemy and then go for quick kill.

But if this gladius is bugged somewhere, please report them directly to me, and I also will keep checking my PMs as welll, just in case, you want also want to PM me for some of reasons.

Eagle out...

Yoshiboy said:
i messed with some textures using Cataphract's desert textures.

I am thinking of changeing the roof tiles and the trees to palms or something. I dunno, what stuff would they have in greece? As i guess the mod will be the romans invading.

links:

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/desert1.JPG

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/desert2.JPG

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/desert3.JPG

I liked the looking of this desert map. I am also seriously considering about doing Roman vs middle east of army After Roman republic army vs hellentic, along with Dacian barbarian tribes mod. You might will see Roman vs Selecuids/Parthians. Even you will fear their all powerful of archers elite groups, especially heavy cavalry army.

You will reply heavily on strength of your strong infanty while replying on hired of archers and cavalry from scythian, syrian, and other middle east's army to give you strong missiles and cavalry supports.

They look quite impressive!!! You have a creative mind of doing texture jobs without being required to wait for an offiical mod tools, just like way I did my own creative way of doing new animations for gladius stabbing and replacing old spears with new one.

Keep up your nice work on these texture job!

Eagle out...

Looking very nice! And dont forget to save some of armour to texture for Greek's hellentic of hoplite army, especially Spartan hoplite as well.

Eagle out...

Gah, this is hopeless, I give up. Maybe I'll make my own Rome mod once the mod tools are out.

Final comments:

Oddball_E8 said:
the gladius should have a piercing damage since you did actually stab with it instead of cut...

and the falx should definately have cutting dammage... it was built to cut off limbs with a chopping motion... not a stabbing motion...

The gladius was primarily used for stabbing, but it also had sharpened edges and could be used to slash when necessary. I've been saying all along that both should be possible. As for the falx:

falxcut1.jpg

That looks like piercing damage to me (I also love the legionaries in the background with the cameras :grin:). Obviously the falx could also be used for cutting but since you can't have both I think piercing damage would be better. It'd also add variety since at the moment there are no two-handed weapons in the game that deal piercing damage with swing attacks.

And last but not least: standardized color uniforms are unrealistic here (They came later) and Greece isn't exactly a desert climate, nor is Italy.

spartan hoplite

http://www.warpmod.com/dev/YoshiBoy/spartan1.JPG

EDIT: with better helm.

The problem with the tunic is because it was orginally black i had to use a gradient map which loses alot of detail even after editing the contrast. I will see what i can do. This one is finished.

I will put all the files for download later. If they are wanted.

YAY! They look wonderful! maybe you could you the black knight helmet thingy, because it look more like a corinthian helmet

*edit**actually, the first image of the spartan looks more realistic*

Yoshiboy, fantastic, but I'd like to see just a little more fading and creasing in the spartan's robe- however, thats just me opinion and it is really up to you :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom