Roman Cuirasses, Attic Helmets and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

This game has been updating armor for factions for years now and the overall look of their militaries has somewhat changed (I'm talking about you, Battania).
Is it unrealistic to expect some sort of muscle cuirass or more crested helmets for empire nobles and elites? I'm talking about lavish roman armor, as Byzantine generals and emperors would display on parades and even in medieval battlefields.

I'm asking because roman armor such as seen on Eagle Rising shows how beatifull late and classic antiquity inspired equipment can look in bannerlord and Tale Worlds choice of an early middle age Byzantine Empire inspiration does allow for some simillar gear to be added. For those of us that don't use mods and roleplay a late antiquity roman empire setting of sorts this would be amazing and not exactly "anachronical" for this game standarts (given Battanians are 2nd century celts and Vlandians are Normans).

This game has been updating armor for factions for years now and the overall look of their militaries has somewhat changed (I'm talking about you, Battania).
Is it unrealistic to expect some sort of muscle cuirass or more crested helmets for empire nobles and elites? I'm talking about lavish roman armor, as Byzantine generals and emperors would display on parades and even in medieval battlefields.

I'm asking because roman armor such as seen on Eagle Rising shows how beatifull late and classic antiquity inspired equipment can look in bannerlord and Tale Worlds choice of an early middle age Byzantine Empire inspiration does allow for some simillar gear to be added. For those of us that don't use mods and roleplay a late antiquity roman empire setting of sorts this would be amazing and not exactly "anachronical" for this game standarts (given Battanians are 2nd century celts and Vlandians are Normans).
No, utterly no. Battania already looks silly because of how much 'Gallic' styled **** they've ended up with as opposed to early medieval Celts.

Vlandia looks dumb with their plate shoulders and are anything but Norman now.

Why the **** do the Aserai have Ottoman esque armour? Aren't they pre islamic arabs?

There is just so much wrong with Bannerlord aesthetics wise now. It is not impossible to get some distinct, interesting looks for a 'pre Warband' esque game, but they've messed it all up now. Just... smh.

I usually don't care about history vs Bannelord, but in aesthetics in general I don't know what the hell are they trying to achieve. The empire in general looks atrocious, but I hate Vlandia the most because Normans look cool as ****, and BLANDia is completely boring and dull. They didn't even cared to make the lords look good in the court rooms, so many beautiful tunics and the ****s are wearing peasent garbage garments. 0/10

I usually don't care about history vs Bannelord, but in aesthetics in general I don't know what the hell are they trying to achieve. The empire in general looks atrocious, but I hate Vlandia the most because Normans look cool as ****, and BLANDia is completely boring and dull. They didn't even cared to make the lords look good in the court rooms, so many beautiful tunics and the ****s are wearing peasent garbage garments. 0/10
Its like they thought Hastings looking Normans would be too boring... but oh, they don't want to just make Swadia. So we ended up with Swadia minus the awesome great helms.

I agree that 'historical' accuracy in a fictional world is stupid to uphold, but goddamn what about some thematic consistency and risk? Like who cares if 12th century Normans don't really jive with 9th century Celts, these guys would have done 'proto Swadia' some justice.

npW9d.jpg

But also yeah, its silly that TW hasn't designed enough awesome civilian gear. Makes me sad that INJ2 isn't a bit more generous with all the fancy gowns and robes they've made.

Its like they thought Hastings looking Normans would be too boring... but oh, they don't want to just make Swadia. So we ended up with Swadia minus the awesome great helms.

I agree that 'historical' accuracy in a fictional world is stupid to uphold, but goddamn what about some thematic consistency and risk? Like who cares if 12th century Normans don't really jive with 9th century Celts, these guys would have done 'proto Swadia' some justice.

npW9d.jpg

But also yeah, its silly that TW hasn't designed enough awesome civilian gear. Makes me sad that INJ2 isn't a bit more generous with all the fancy gowns and robes they've made.
Did you do that? Man that looks great. Taleworlds needs to start hiring it's own forum users

Did you do that? Man that looks great. Taleworlds needs to start hiring it's own forum users
I took that off the Creative Aesthetics thread in this very forum. Apparently TW listened to it... for all the good it did.

My own upcoming mod is designed to steer Vlandia this way though, for whatever that's worth.

I think only the Empire, and some of Sturgia, captured the intended aesthetic well. At least the higher tier infantry and cataphracts look like what I would sort of expect Byzantine military forces to look like from 1000-1350. Lot's of scale, lamellar and chainmail

I think only the Empire, and some of Sturgia, captured the intended aesthetic well. At least the higher tier infantry and cataphracts look like what I would sort of expect Byzantine military forces to look like from 1000-1350. Lot's of scale, lamellar and chainmail
Khuzait is actually the only faction I really like aesthetics-wise. Sturgia is close but I wish they went more the rus way and less the viking way. Their high-tier troops look cool tho. Empire Battania and Vlandia feel the worst to me, and Aserai is kinda bland given the potential of an Arabic inspired faction.

Khuzait is actually the only faction I really like aesthetics-wise. Sturgia is close but I wish they went more the rus way and less the viking way. Their high-tier troops look cool tho. Empire Battania and Vlandia feel the worst to me, and Aserai is kinda bland given the potential of an Arabic inspired faction.
Actually that's right too. Khuzait does look good - their infantry look a bit like Han slave-soldiers and they draw a lot of inspiration from Hunnic/Turkic/Central Asian styles too.

The Sturgian noble cav capture the Kievan Rus, but the others look like fantasy vikings for sure, especially Sea Raiders.

Any of the lamellar Empire troops look pretty good - but the whole troop tree has issues - zero light cav, zero skirmishers, but they have...crossbows? The helmets are a bit goofy but apparently period correct.

Battania and Vlandia are very bland to me. Specifically Vlandia just looks like an orc army, everything is dark leather and red cloth with some goofy plate shoulders on some troops. At least their troop tree makes the most sense

Khuzaits could have looked a lot more distinct beyond just being some sort of Mongol mash. Also some of the straight up Chinese stuff doesn't work for me.

They need more colourful robes and funky Central Asian hats and ****.

No, utterly no. Battania already looks silly because of how much 'Gallic' styled **** they've ended up with as opposed to early medieval Celts.

Vlandia looks dumb with their plate shoulders and are anything but Norman now.

Why the **** do the Aserai have Ottoman esque armour? Aren't they pre islamic arabs?

There is just so much wrong with Bannerlord aesthetics wise now. It is not impossible to get some distinct, interesting looks for a 'pre Warband' esque game, but they've messed it all up now. Just... smh.
Amen brother

They need more colourful robes and funky Central Asian hats and ****.
Every unit from every faction needs more varied colours. Every troop and even random civilians on the streets wearing the only the primary colour of their respective faction is one of the most egregious things about this game visually.

Every unit from every faction needs more varied colours. Every troop and even random civilians on the streets wearing the only the primary colour of their respective faction is one of the most egregious things about this game visually.
That too. All these little things that can enhance the game's immersion.

Back
Top Bottom