Rock Paper Scissors

Users who are viewing this thread

Archonsod said:
The problem is the number of battles decided by the actual troops can probably be counted on one hand. Generally speaking battles aren't won or lost because your bunch of blokes with swords were better than the other guy's, they're lost because it started raining at an inconvenient moment, or an inconvenient bout of mass dysentery breaking out the night before, or because you forgot to recon that nice big forest that would be ideal for a sneaky flank attack, or simply because some wag spent last night telling ghost stories around the campfire and now all your men are ready to leg it if someone so much as shouts boo.

None of which makes for particularly compelling gameplay.

Or, to quote the masters: amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

Corvus said:
I think you really need to think about the fighters rather than what they were equipped with, especially if you look into ancient warfare. The majority of soldiers in say, Roman Republican times, were not professional soldiers. Think of the bit in '300' when Leonidas asks the soldiers they meet on the way to war "what is your profession?" and they answer blacksmith etc. They might be strong men, but they were not particularly skilled fighters. They probably couldn't pull off elaborate sword faints, they probably just knew and had drilled for a few hours on some basic techniques.
This man is stupid and likely knows nothing about warfare or ancient history.
The Romans were extremely smart. Their men were disciplined, outfitted well, well-trained and well-paid. They had all the right reasons to go to war and fight eagerly.
First of all, they were an excellent fighting force, as they fought together as a unit.
They were paid well, and were not at all forced into the army. Many men went willingly because of the gleam of gold.
They were also well-motivated. Roman officers performed cruel punishments if men broke ranks, like stoning every tenth man in the unit that ran. Unless I'm misremembering, I think they also made the soldiers stone their unlucky comrades.
They didn't have to pull off elaborate sword faints. Like I said, they fought as a cohesive unit, thus all they needed to do was stab at the guy in front of them, usually.
However, they also did hundreds of drills, for hours and hours upon end.
The tortoise, for example, was a great technique which the Romans used to defend against arrows. Google it if you do not know about the technique.

Nor does it matter about the type of man.
What matters is the ******** leader. If the general inspires admiration, respect, or fear and dread (either works), then the army will follow their leader. However, it is not just about the leader's attitude and personality. He also needs to be highly strategical and, basically, be a master at chess. They need to know their soldier's weaknesses and strengths intimately. All of these things and more.

@LordofShadows: I'm not sure what you're saying, but if you're saying tactics don't matter, you're retarded. I'm sorry, but if that's what you're saying, it is true. You simply must be retarded to think that.

RedHaze said:
*snip*
@LordofShadows: I'm not sure what you're saying, but if you're saying tactics don't matter, you're retarded. I'm sorry, but if that's what you're saying, it is true. You simply must be retarded to think that.

I suggest you study more. I was quoting, and it is quite true. If I can put 15 soldiers onto the battlefield for every 1 of yours, you will lose. If I can destroy your logistics trail, you will lose no matter what. If I can supply my soldiers better, you will lose, except in exceptional circumstances.

Hmm. I feel you're forgetting the fact that, if I do everything pretty much the same way you have, except I employ tactics like attacking you from behind as well as from the front, then I could kick your arse.
I didn't say tactics mattered more than logistics, or that logistics don't matter, just that tactics do matter, and if you don't use them you're likely to get your testicles stuffed down your throat via a sword edge.

RedHaze said:
Hmm. I feel you're forgetting the fact that, if I do everything pretty much the same way you have, except I employ tactics like attacking you from behind as well as from the front, then I could kick your arse.
I didn't say tactics mattered more than logistics, or that logistics don't matter, just that tactics do matter, and if you don't use them you're likely to get your testicles stuffed down your throat via a sword edge.

Twit. You can only attack me from behind if you have enough manpower to support multiple avenues of attack, otherwise you are inviting defeat in detail.

I also never said that tactics don't matter. To expand on what I said, the amateur studies tactics elusively, while the professional studies the factors that influence tactics, of which by far the most important is logistics.

Another quote for you: "My logistics corp are a humourless lot, because they know if I fail in a campaign they will be the first to be blamed" Alexander the Great.

Then why the hell did you reply? Where was the god damned contradiction?
God, and you call me a twit?
I said IF you are saying tactics are useless. AND ONLY IF. Learn to ****ing read for god's sake.

RedHaze said:
Then why the hell did you reply? Where was the god damned contradiction?
God, and you call me a twit?
I said IF you are saying tactics are useless. AND ONLY IF. Learn to ****ing read for god's sake.

Look at my name. It was more fun this way, plus I found out just how much of a retard you are.

Mmm, yes, the key word being believe.
If everything people believed was true, the tooth fairy and Santa Clause would be real, Lady Gaga would be actually good and talking dogs would run up to you and greet you, Vikings DID wear cow horns on their helmets and Christopher Columbus DID discover America.

Still funny that for all your talk, that you believe viking is a noun and not a verb.

It;s proper use is: "I am going viking today."
Or as a noun: He is a Vikingr

Notice the difference?

It;s meaning is to trade/raid.
Vikingr is the proper noun for a trader/raider. Or plural

I do believe a-viking is the verb.

So what if I didn't know that vikingr was the correct term?
That is what is called ignorance, not stupidity.

Edit: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_to_go_a-viking_mean
Vikingr is the Scandinavian term.

If you had read the link, you would see that people later adapted it to Viking, so either can be used.
Both are correct, both can be applied to the same people.

Why does it really matter? It's one letter, the word hasn't changed drastically.

Also, in this instance, you can't be lazy and ignorant - that doesn't make sense.
In this instance, if you're too lazy to put the extra letter on Viking, then you obviously know it is spelt Vikingr - otherwise you wouldn't be lazy as you don't know.

But this is getting off topic, we shouldn't be talking about laziness, ignorance and the spelling of Vikingr.

Kobrag said:
It;s lazy not to take the extra effort and preserve the way of things.

Being lazy and ignorant? That is criminal.

It's lazy that you didn't say:

"It;s lasich not to taken the extra esfort and preserve the weg of things.

Being lasich and ignoraunt? That is criminalis."

Saying Viking is fine.

Gaunt said:
Kobrag said:
It;s lazy not to take the extra effort and preserve the way of things.

Being lazy and ignorant? That is criminal.

It's lazy that you didn't say:

"It;s lasich not to taken the extra esfort and preserve the weg of things.

Being lasich and ignoraunt? That is criminalis."

Saying Viking is fine.
If I wrote the sentance like that, the ignoramous would think I was mentally non-functional.

I dislike the word ignoramus.
It annoys me because everyone is ignorant of some things, you can't know everything (which is the only way you can not be ignorant).
If you are using it as I'm stupid, then that's just incorrect because my IQ is 145. What you were gauging is ignorance, not intelligence. Since I'm in grade nine, I think I'm well justified in being ignorant of most subjects. After all, I can't research everything, and I don't have an idyllic memory.

Back
Top Bottom