ROCK General Information and Discussion : Current

Users who are viewing this thread

So believe it or not I'm interested in general thoughts about the status and progress of ROCK.  Consider this a general discussion thread where you may share what you think...within reason of course. 

More or less I realized there is not a thread for general discussion as most are stickied and locked.

Enjoy,

-Mad

The Pizza said:
Holding a prayer session for Wappaw tonight at 10pm EST. We will need God's help to survive.
Maybe, maybe not.  All the allocation was done by registered troops, so more settlements went to those that could field more players as they should be better able to defend settlements.  The Loyalists biggest lordship, Balion, will start a number of turns from you and is on the border with the rest of the Rebel lordships making it hard for them to engage you.  That means a few lordships will have to coordinate an attack and then it will probably be sieges giving you an advantage.  With the amount of income you will be creating there is a good chance your equipment tiers will increase by then, which could easily tilt the scales.  Also, you could always trade some settlements to get another lordship in there with you.  So you have a number of options.
Hopefully that eases the anxiety some.  :razz:

That is really one of the reasons I wanted to release the map now.  The strategies of both sides has time to develop before the start.  Another advantage is that now that lordships know which settlements are theres, they could begin altering the scenes per the Lordship Scening guidelines to make their settlements more defensible.  Wappaw is starting with some nicely designed settlements if I may say so myself... :wink:

Made this:
rockmodified.png
Might help

I have some suggestions that I think would benefit the gameplay greatly.

1- Sea Travel: A bit overpowered at the moment. Maybe change to 2 turns of travel if the boat moves more than 3/4 naval blocks, counting diagonal jumps as 1 block. Alternatively, separate the water body into several water bodies with an extra turn between traveling between bodies.

2- Raids: Allow factions to carry out raids as well, at a cost. You spend, say 150, and send a raid of 50 troops that 'comes from one of your armies' to your opponents village. (ie, the casualties of the raid, are taken by your army since you sent the raid from that army. The village Garrison comes back over and over again so its in the defenders favor) That way there are consequences to loosing, but you pretty much remove the income if you succeed. Make it so that only 1 raid can be launched from any lordship and if a raid is indeed launched the raiding army cannot move/declare an attack and is forced to defend itself if attacked.

3. Army deployment: An army that has declared, 'hold' for a turn should be able to directly move towards an enemy army, if it happens that a battle occurs in an adjacent square during that turn. The army loses some of its potency, say loses 20 or 15 % of the total troop count due to the 'fast' movement it had to do to get to the battle. I think this will add a very strategical 'defensive' element to what appears to be a very aggressive game.

Outlawed said:
I have some suggestions that I think would benefit the gameplay greatly.

1- Sea Travel: A bit overpowered at the moment. Maybe change to 2 turns of travel if the boat moves more than 3/4 naval blocks, counting diagonal jumps as 1 block. Alternatively, separate the water body into several water bodies with an extra turn between traveling between bodies.

2- Raids: Allow factions to carry out raids as well, at a cost. You spend, say 150, and send a raid of 50 troops that 'comes from one of your armies' to your opponents village. (ie, the casualties of the raid, are taken by your army since you sent the raid from that army. The village Garrison comes back over and over again so its in the defenders favor) That way there are consequences to loosing, but you pretty much remove the income if you succeed. Make it so that only 1 raid can be launched from any lordship and if a raid is indeed launched the raiding army cannot move/declare an attack and is forced to defend itself if attacked.

3. Army deployment: An army that has declared, 'hold' for a turn should be able to directly move towards an enemy army, if it happens that a battle occurs in an adjacent square during that turn. The army loses some of its potency, say loses 20 or 15 % of the total troop count due to the 'fast' movement it had to do to get to the battle. I think this will add a very strategical 'defensive' element to what appears to be a very aggressive game.
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I see your points and will revist the subject at the next dev team meeting so see what the group thinks.  I'm leaning toward seperating it and possibly making it 2 turns, but keeping Bay movement as is.  But we'll kick it around.

2. Actually they can, it's listed under Economy>Income. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,187724.msg4899054.html#msg4899056
I should possibly put a highlight or link or extra rule section in probably the Engagment Conditions section just to bring more notice to that option.  Limiting how often they can raid may be good, however I wanted lordships really to have to weigh the benefits and consequences of losing the income versus making attacks or pursuing their plans.  So more or less raiding was really meant to be an interupt in a lordship's plans.
The one item that will probably get added here is an "autoresolve" option.  Lordships can autoresolve so they don't have to schedule a 500v50 battle.  However if they can field more troops than the raiding lordship they have a good shot at inflicting some casualties which would be beneficial.  So have the option just provides....options.

3. Well my overall thought, hope, or probably dillusion was that the lordships would develop a strategy together and try to implement their actions accordingly.  So in your given situation, the army that is moving to assist in the battle would have already known that their ally was going to engage that army and not called a "hold postion" early, but instead make a movement into that square to be apart of the battle.  Basically there would be continual dialogue between allies concerning the strategy and gameplan for their side to win.

I'll reread and consider all the suggestions, but remember the number 1 principle in developing this was Simplicity.  Actually to list the 3 principles ROCK was developed under they are:
1. Simplicity - Easy to understand, implement, manage, and participate in.
2. Teamwork - Through beneficial or harmful consequences, promote lordships working together.
3. End-Game - Make sure that the campaign will actually end.

So all the ideas and procedures were mirrored and filtered through these 3 things. 

o_O
I'm super confused.

The actual semantics of raiding aren't posted anywhere..
Can we just declare a raid regardless of our positions...?
Is it the 50 v 50? Or does an army have to be present at the village to raid it..?

Because if an army has to be there, then that's sort of silly. A whole army moving just to raid a village sounds sort of redundant.
At least have raiding cost something.

As for point 3. I agree. Teams should work together and they are/will.
But that's not my concern. My concern is that an army is going to have a really hard time defending an enemy push if it has already moved in its turn. Assuming you're trying to hold off a position someone is going to just be able to break through your 'line' of defense and get behind you without even needing to engage.

Back
Top Bottom