Ripper's Top 10 Skill Based PvP Games List for April 2015 - MMORPG.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey Lads,

I'm continuing with my monthly Top 10 Skill Based PvP Games list for MMORPG.COM and sadly I'm getting barraged by trolls with YouTube dislikes. First off, I'd love your opinion on my list and if I'm missing any current games that are on it... Mount & Blade is #4 on the list and doubt it will ever leave the top 5 because it is the definition of a "Skill Based Game" and has single handedly raised the bar for other games like it.

Also, if you want, I'd love a few "likes" on the video as trolls (many World of Warcraft players) are mad because WoW isn't on the list and because WoW "ISN'T A SKILL BASED GAME". The definition of a skill based game, is a game ie. like Mount & Blade where you can manually block/attack and dodge, and where a good player can take on multiple average players and win based on their gameplay.

As for WoW, sure it takes "Skill Management" but it's tab target and you are unable to dodge projectiles, hense why it's not on the list and never will be.

Video link is below as well as the link to my blog with Aprils Top 10 List. Again let me know your thoughts on the list, out of any community, I respect and love you guys dearly.

/Big Hugs,
RipperX

Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9S_a_mc4nw

Blog:
http://ripperx.tumblr.com/april-top10-2015

Hi RipperX,

You are one funny dude! I really enjoyed watching some of your videos.
I was just wondering why you would pick "Melee Battlegrounds" and "Reign of Kings" above Warband for skill based?

Melee Battlegrounds
-----------------------------
Looks like Melee just has a few more swing directions without any other classes. No game play or anything to be found about fighting or blocking or anything. Warband has clan matches and weekend cups with tons of strategy in mind. Also keeping in mind what to buy to beat opponents. Like in a 8 vs 8 clan match where the other team has 6 cav its a players skill to either get good with throwing javelins or have knowledge how cav work and use a spear or pike. Then there are different game modes within Warband that makes you get a different mindset in order to become better and hence changing you approach on skill. Melee Battlegrounds does not feature any of this...

Reign of Kings
-----------------------
Again a game with maybe more eye candy but from what I saw it just has a few more features to offer. Are there things like feints, counters, chambers, weapon speed perks, weapon lengths, ... that can alter how a melee fight is going down? Very curious how this game takes 1st based on skill.

Greets

Windle said:
Hi RipperX,

You are one funny dude! I really enjoyed watching some of your videos.
I was just wondering why you would pick "Melee Battlegrounds" and "Reign of Kings" above Warband for skill based?

Melee Battlegrounds
-----------------------------
Looks like Melee just has a few more swing directions without any other classes. No game play or anything to be found about fighting or blocking or anything. Warband has clan matches and weekend cups with tons of strategy in mind. Also keeping in mind what to buy to beat opponents. Like in a 8 vs 8 clan match where the other team has 6 cav its a players skill to either get good with throwing javelins or have knowledge how cav work and use a spear or pike. Then there are different game modes within Warband that makes you get a different mindset in order to become better and hence changing you approach on skill. Melee Battlegrounds does not feature any of this...

Reign of Kings
-----------------------
Again a game with maybe more eye candy but from what I saw it just has a few more features to offer. Are there things like feints, counters, chambers, weapon speed perks, weapon lengths, ... that can alter how a melee fight is going down? Very curious how this game takes 1st based on skill.

Greets

Hey Windle!

Great questions man, and totally valid. I've been in the Melee Battlegrounds closed dev alpha for a while now, there is indeed 8 attacks and 8 blocks, and they have some new modes which are very exciting. I think to be completely honest here, Mount & Blade could be #1 on the list, but I do believe when a new game comes out or is coming out, sometimes it's good to put it up high on the list as to get people talking, discussion as well as critique as to why it "should be #1".

I think at this point in time, Melee Battlegrounds has a huge amount of potential so that's why it's up high on the list. When Bannerlord comes out, Warband and Bannerlord will most likely be in the top 3, but again the list here is really about skill based player vs player combat and I believe all 3 titles, Melee, Bannerlord and Warband are doing it right.

As for Reign of Kings, it's really Chivalry combat with Minecraft/Rust building elements. Why Reign of Kings takes the cake for April is A. It's a new release with very brutal PvP scenarios and B. There are some very cool and brand new features in this game which have not been seen in any other game, ie. taking over the throne, reigning as king, taxing the server, bullet time arrows, hanging players, beheading players, capturing players & putting them in player built cages, just a lot of hardcore griefing that again is skill based at the end of the day. I don't think Reign of Kings will be #1 forever, but for this Month, in my opinion at least it definitely takes the cake. :smile:

Last but not least, yes, Reign of Kings has Feints, counters, chambers, weapon speeds and lengths, its very skill based, but the combat just takes a bit of getting used to. It will be similar to Chivalry where you use the mouse wheel for a top-down swing or thrust. I hope this helps a bit in answering your questions.

Best,
RipX

Melee battlegrounds is pretty much a better more complex crpg with new game modes and more polish so it will probably be above warband for that reason

redrip said:
Mount & Blade is #4 on the list and doubt it will ever leave the top 5 because it is the definition of a "Skill Based Game".

The definition of a skill based game, is a game ie. like Mount & Blade where you can manually block/attack and dodge.
I disagree. Could you point me to a source for your definition of "skill-based"?
Or do you mean that a game simply cannot be skill-based if you can't manually block, attack and dodge directionally? Because you're restricting the definition to a niche genre of games.

If they weren't all older users, I'd say that there was some dupes going on.

Dude who I've never seen in Anachronist's makes a thread. Three more dudes I've never seen in Anachronist's instantly praise the thread.

Austupaio said:
If they weren't all older users, I'd say that there was some dupes going on.

Dude who I've never seen in Anachronist's makes a thread. Three more dudes I've never seen in Anachronist's instantly praise the thread.
Probably because I moved this crap here from the Guildhall.

why are unfinished or unreleased games in your list and when will you stop making new threads for your videos and just update a single thread?

Back
Top Bottom