RIP MP

Users who are viewing this thread

My 2 biggest complaints about MP are :

- the fighting animations are way too slow... There is 1 or 2 sec between the time I click my mouse and the time it reach the target. Hard feelings to explain but the game doesn't look enough reactive.
Doesn't mean you can't improve your skills with that mecanics but it looks so heavy, so fat. Duels are so slow...

- the class system.
I don't think warband's system is the best according to the devs will, but I think something i.e like Mordhau is way better.
Players have to custom their characters a way or another in such a game.
The actual class system is bad because you don't have enough options to choose your own style.
I'm not talking about cosmetics, of course.

And of course I'm not going to talk about bugs, servers issues, lack of maps,... This is an evident "future".

I find it very strange that TW are under the impression that the MP playerbase will just 'grow', that minor patches will be enough to draw large numbers of people back and that the playerbase can be increased through slow and irregular patches. Not only is it not growing, but the playerbase is dropping at a remarkable speed. Fundamentally, this seems to stem from TW's assessment of Warband MP as a failure. They said in the beta period that they considered Warband's MP to have failed and that they wanted to completely rework it to change that. I do not and have never understood this mindset - how many games have maintained as solid and as stable a community over a decade as Warband did? TW should have been looking at the reasons why Warband MP was good, and ensuring continuity for those things, rather than solely looking at it negatively and giving no thought to the essential features that players want. The dream of a larger playerbase for Bannerlord is already gone, at least for the rest of the EA period, but I suppose TW will have another chance to revitalise the community on full release. All of the SP people have already tried MP and been turned away at this point, so even when full release does come around it's not hard to imagine a large number of them being unwilling to try MP again because of negative experiences they had in EA. Personally I have no hope left, as through the mountains upon mountains of quality feedback that TW received, they refused to act upon it and at times even labelled it as nothing more than Warband-nostalgia and the view of an "elite" core that didn't know what the majority of players wanted. Bannerlord will never be good because TW do not understand what players want out of it. It's a shame, but it's also a fact. Based on how the past 11 months have been through the alpha-beta-EA periods, I do not see how you can reach any other conclusion. Enjoy Warband while it's still populated, but I do not see any reason to hold out hope for the future of Bannerlord.

Damn dude, still struggling for the 500 over here.

Noticed myself and others becoming more toxic, decided to uninstall for now. Not playing SP until full release anyway.

MP progress could be almost finished or barely started, we have no idea, and due to the lack of weekly communication I'm going to have to assume the latter rather than former.

Honestly, it sounds harsh. But I'd recommend uninstalling as well if you're finding yourself in a similar situation to myself, the biggest analytic TW might be watching is player hours/numbers. Reduction of these may be our only voice left to speak with since our wallets and forums have already spoken to little avail.

And there are plenty of other games whilst we wait.
Uninstalling the game and not touching it means forfeiting my clan leader position and the responsibilities tied to them. Not ready to do that yet.

Last edited:
I find it very strange that TW are under the impression that the MP playerbase will just 'grow'
They can't really still believe that, can they?
They said in the beta period that they considered Warband's MP to have failed and that they wanted to completely rework it to change that.
That's news to me. Yet another utterly nonsensical thing coming from Taleworlds.

I wish I had something to add, but as always, Gibby's comment is right on the money.
Taleworlds, why aren't you listening?

Uninstalling the game and not touching it means forfeiting my clan leader post and the responsibilities tied to them. Not ready to do that yet.

The best opportunities to enjoy MP is in clan's right now, so completely understandable.

Maybe MP Mods will eventually exist long enough to show TW how effective a custom server approach can be. Minecraft, Gmod hell even Roblox are raking in cash with custom server and mod content, I'm surprised TW didn't see this as a monetizeable option for a engine as great as Mount and Blade's.

I find it very strange that TW are under the impression that the MP playerbase will just 'grow', that minor patches will be enough to draw large numbers of people back and that the playerbase can be increased through slow and irregular patches.
They can't really still believe that, can they?

They said in the beta period that they considered Warband's MP to have failed and that they wanted to completely rework it to change that.
That's news to me. Yet another utterly nonsensical thing coming from Taleworlds.

I wish I had something to add, but as always, Gibby's comment is right on the money.
Taleworlds, why aren't you listening?

The post I'm referring to about them thinking the playerbase will grow is very recent actually:

The beta stuff I'm talking about I don't have links to because of how long ago it was, but I distinctly remember Callum saying Warband's MP had very limited appeal and that their changes were intended to change that. I remember one other dev saying something similar, but I don't remember who or on what thread it was. I actually haven't seen a dev say something along the lines of "we liked x from warband, so we've continued with that feature" at any point, only posts justifying turning away from Warband and in a different direction. Like I said in my other post, an attitude like that makes no sense to me. Warband had an incredibly successful MP in terms of longevity and community, it had something incredibly appealing about it and it wasn't just an "elite" competitive core that felt that way, but the many thousands of others that played battle, siege, duel, deathmatch and mods that felt the same way. All it would have taken is for TW to ask players what they liked and to keep those things, whilst improving and fixing the many flaws that Warband had and adding whatever new features they wanted to. Instead, everything was done in the name of appealing to some unknown "broader audience", some ethereal "new playerbase" which never manifested. Tens of thousands played Warband's MP for thousands of hours over a decade. There was already a large playerbase that TW should have been appealing to. Most people that only play SP will not play MP, it doesn't matter how "accessible" you make it. They didn't understand their playerbase and this is the result.

They could have easily have had a successful bannerlord multiplayer, one of the biggest factor that made people not play warband (mainstream players) were the horrible graphics compared to games today. Bannerlord has fine graphics but now the gameplay is lacking in multiplayer. Honestly a big shame

They had a huge oppurtunity to show off the game to the world through twitch but they screwed it, the big streamers won't touch it again. They also have no idea how to make a trailer or show off combat, thier gameplay vid was someone who probably didnt even touch warband.

They could have easily have had a successful bannerlord multiplayer, one of the biggest factor that made people not play warband (mainstream players) were the horrible graphics compared to games today. Bannerlord has fine graphics but now the gameplay is lacking in multiplayer. Honestly a big shame
i showed bannelord to some people and they say:
"no, there is other games has amazing graphics"
people always jump to that before anything, even hardcore gamers

i showed bannelord to some people and they say:
"no, there is other games has amazing graphics"
people always jump to that before anything, even hardcore gamers

The breed of gameplay > graphics is not something you have much anymore sadly, like i said. People judge a game on graphics nowdays instead of gameplay

Has taleworlds ever talked to the casual player? They hate it (bannerlord) more than the competitive guys do

The breed of gameplay > graphics is not something you have much anymore sadly, like i said. People judge a game on graphics nowdays instead of gameplay

true, they need us "core players" to help them sell the game
with mods and huge attractive battles and events that being uploaded to YouTube
& high positive steam score

but they are trying to steal people by offering "force dress me fetish"
and slapping "warband veterns"
to welcome these "massive new amount of people"
they are too much, they will wipe our names and bury us forever :sad: :sad: :sad:

bssssshhhhhhhh :facepalm:

I don't really think this is true, especially on PC. The most played games on PC currently are mostly F2P games with pretty terrible graphics compared to some AAA games releasing in 2020. Among premium titles the most popular are games like Minecraft, Rust, Terraria, Overwatch, none of which I would say have graphics objectively better than Bannerlord. It seems like pretty games might get a larger initial player count than uglier games, but people still seem to stick around for good gameplay in the end. Of course, Bannerlord MP doesn't have good gameplay anyways, so it's all moot.

I don't really think this is true, especially on PC. The most played games on PC currently are mostly F2P games with pretty terrible graphics compared to some AAA games releasing in 2020. Among premium titles the most popular are games like Minecraft, Rust, Terraria, Overwatch, none of which I would say have graphics objectively better than Bannerlord. It seems like pretty games might get a larger initial player count than uglier games, but people still seem to stick around for good gameplay in the end. Of course, Bannerlord MP doesn't have good gameplay anyways, so it's all moot.

they must have magic

"force dress me fetish"

or something opposite of this

I wish I could get a refund. Not only does this game tax my system irregularly for the power of my PC, all of the game designs were a complete and utter letdown. I don't know why I expected better, maybe because I have been around for so long and loved both mount&blade and mount&blade warband so much; having spent tens of thousands of hours in-game. I assumed that they would have honed their successful formula into something even greater and truly special; worthy of being a successor to the games that made the franchise great.

Instead what we got was a complete disgrace to the name mount&blade, inferior even to other gaming companies who saw mount&blade and created their own games out of that inspiration. Inferior to a game that spawned from a team that modded Warband, who routinely listened to their community, and brought their ideas and community to a new original title where they had more freedom to create.

The problems won't be fixed with a few number tweaks, optimization, or even an overhaul. It's a failure of understanding at a fundamental level between the game's designers and it's community. This was easily the most disappointing $60 game I've ever spent and I only wish now that I could get a refund.

You may have made the game Taleworlds, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An artist can't force their personal thought of a piece; be the widely loved interpretation.

Last edited:
I wish I could get a refund. Not only does this game tax my system irregularly for the power of my PC, all of the game designs were a complete and utter letdown. I don't know why I expected better, maybe because I have been around for so long and loved both mount&blade and mount&blade warband so much; having spent tens of thousands of hours in-game. I assumed that they would have honed their successful formula into something even greater and truly special; worthy of being a successor to the games that made the franchise great.

tenor.gif

Instead what we got was a complete disgrace to the name mount&blade, inferior even to other gaming companies who saw mount&blade and created their own games out of that inspiration. Inferior to a game that spawned from a team that modded Warband, who routinely listened to their community, and brought their ideas and community to a new original title where they had more freedom to create.

The problems won't be fixed with a few number tweaks, optimization, or even an overhaul. It's a failure of understanding at a fundamental level between the game's designers and it's community. This was easily the most disappointing $60 game I've ever spent and I only wish now that I could get a refund.

You may have made the game Taleworlds, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An artist can't force their personal thought of a piece; be the widely loved interpretation.
This. It's like thier whole team has not played mount and blade.

Back
Top Bottom