RIP MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Actually I believe that no longer applies in bannerlord - they did test the feature but it was removed after community backlash (which I did take part in). So (correct me if im wrong) but the bannerlord block delay is consistent and is about 0.5 seconds.

No, this is the same conflation the developers keep making when addressing this and it's wrong. Nobody is complaining about the lag compensation delay that Warband had and Bannerlord has similarly. The issue is that each block must physically be moved into its relevant position, from where it started, and that if you were in the middle of something or attacking on the 'wrong' side, blocking therefore takes longer. This is a different system from Warband and results in the inconsistent, slow feeling to blocking (and other parts of combat). This is the "block delay" people talk about.

No, this is the same conflation the developers keep making when addressing this and it's wrong. Nobody is complaining about the lag compensation delay that Warband had and Bannerlord has similarly. The issue is that each block must physically be moved into its relevant position, from where it started, and that if you were in the middle of something or attacking on the 'wrong' side, blocking therefore takes longer. This is a different system from Warband and results in the inconsistent, slow feeling to blocking (and other parts of combat). This is the "block delay" people talk about.
How would you resolve it glorious? Genuine question - i want peoples' feedback for the thread I'll do over the weekend. ( i will be going back to old posts aswell).

FYI - We should probably be calling it animation blend delay or something then. Because specifically block delay is technically the timing issue I mentioned. Think i'll make note of that.

How would you resolve it glorious? Genuine question - i want peoples' feedback for the thread I'll do over the weekend. ( i will be going back to old posts aswell).

FYI - We should probably be calling it animation blend delay or something then. Because specifically block delay is technically the timing issue I mentioned. Think i'll make note of that.

Yes, it is a delay created by the animations and physics system (weight of the weapon).Warband worked just fine without both and whileit sounds nice, it obviously doesn’t work for the gameplay and IMO should be removed altogether. “Instant blocking” was brought up among the design team and as far as I know, they chose not to go with it. However, it should be brought up again and actually see the light of the day instead of letting the animation blending and “nice” physics system be more important than the gameplay itself.

Yes, it is a delay created by the animations and physics system (weight of the weapon).Warband worked just fine without both and whileit sounds nice, it obviously doesn’t work for the gameplay and IMO should be removed altogether. “Instant blocking” was brought up among the design team and as far as I know, they chose not to go with it. However, it should be brought up again and actually see the light of the day instead of letting the animation blending and “nice” physics system be more important than the gameplay itself.
I have read back through the posts on this in May. I 100% believe we need to stop calling that block delay - however I agree to an extent. I am sure there is a way it is manageable without negatively effecting the gameplay (if TW do wish to keep it). However there does some to be some confusion on whether this blend delay actually exists at the moment? Has anyone done any recent testing? More recent then May?

So, since the creation of this thread, I think it has gotten better, but that might just be me getting used to the system. It still doesn't make all that much sense since combat is too fast-paced to account for an increased delay based on weapon position. People won't ever shut up about it and you can be sure this will be removed in any multiplayer mod in the future, if it hasn't been removed by then. Absolute delay must return.

I certainly notice that blocks do have a delay but I can't remember noticing this in my recent playtime. Last time it was introduced it was very noticeable.

They have a setting called "Realistic Blocking" which, if turned off, makes blocking feel pretty much like Warband. When they had a blunder and let us host private servers for a while, I managed to record some shobby footage with the setting turned off. The difference might not be as noticeable on video, but it feels so much better when playing.

I don't want to post it because it's clear it was unfinished and not intended for public eyes and it would be a **** move, but it gives me hope that at the very least, they will let players turn the delay off for private servers, if they won't do it for official ones.

They have a setting called "Realistic Blocking" which, if turned off, makes blocking feel pretty much like Warband. When they had a blunder and let us host private servers for a while, I managed to record some shobby footage with the setting turned off. The difference might not be as noticeable on video, but it feels so much better when playing.

I don't want to post it because it's clear it was not intended for public eyes and it would be a **** move, but it gives me hope that at the very least, they will let players turn the delay off for private servers, if they won't do it for official ones.

The servers have that turned off already. Realistic blocking was tested at the start of EA and the backlash it received was insane so they turned it off.

I don't want to post it because it's clear it was not intended for public eyes and it would be a **** move, but it gives me hope that at the very least, they will let players turn the delay off for private servers, if they won't do it for official ones.
Defacto splitting the community even more by giving hosts an option. If the official servers keep the realistic blocking, that would mean MM will very likely have it too. So yeah, great move.

The servers have that turned off already. Realistic blocking was tested at the start of EA and the backlash it received was insane so they turned it off.
Thank you Fietta - this is what I thought but that May post threw me.

In which case the only issue with block delay is the actual flat block delay? Unless anyone can prove otherwise?

It was update 1.4.0 and felt much better than what was on the official servers.

Perhaps it's because of ping, though I usually play with 30. I could be wrong, but I know other people tried it and it felt better to them as well.

Thank you Fietta - this is what I thought but that May post threw me.

In which case the only issue with block delay is the actual flat block delay? Unless anyone can prove otherwise?

Basic feints, like a right to overhead feint is faster than a right to overhead block, this is because you can switch animation super quick, whilst the blocking animation takes longer. You can block feints, but only if you block the last attack or back pedal so the tip of the overhead attack is further (since it's collision based). Blocking standard attacks are fine, they're really easy because the delay matches the animation speed - it's when they start feinting it becomes a real issue.

Basic feints, like a right to overhead feint is faster than a right to overhead block, this is because you can switch animation super quick, whilst the blocking animation takes longer. You can block feints, but only if you block the last attack or back pedal so the tip of the overhead attack is further (since it's collision based). Blocking standard attacks are fine, they're really easy because the delay matches the animation speed - it's when they start feinting it becomes a real issue.
Sorry i didn't mean in total; I meant just in terms of the blocking animation itself - you did explain it before.

To summarise then the issue with blocking is either;

A) Positional based (as fietta describes)
B) Delay based (the flat block delay is too long)
C) A combination of both?

That gives me a good base to work off.

Does anyone have any opinion which is not reflected in that? (Excusing the option 'no - there is nothing wrong with it'). Because we have given off such a mess of feedback lately as a community (myself included) and I'm not sure people even know the full argument anymore.

Alright, sanity test.

Can you block like this on the servers, while also holding left click the entire time? Especially in the latter half of the clip. I haven't been able to pull such moves off while playing online myself, though, perhaps others have and I'm being delusional and just seeing things that I want to see.

Alright, sanity test.

Can you block like this on the servers, while also holding left click the entire time? Especially in the latter half of the clip. I haven't been able to pull such moves off while playing online myself, though, perhaps others have and I'm being delusional and just seeing things that I want to see.

It looks way better like this lol

Alright, sanity test.

lol, you can't. This is an obvious difference and looks much much better play-wise.

Especially this moment:

I don't think you'd pull this off normally.

I think it was when the server creation was available
Yep, with
KBgfuav.png
unchecked

It looks incredible. My biggest problem with bannerlord was feeling like my weapon took 5-6 hours to block or switch from block to block. Not just frustrating but gave me a feeling of not having control

Back
Top Bottom