RIP MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Again, the comment wasn't about MP as a whole being a failure, it was about the low percentage of players that plays MP (5-10% if I recall correctly?). I vehemently disagree with the concept that this makes Warband MP a failure, but it's what TW made of it, and what they tried to address with Bannerlord. The current results speak for themselves.

Again, the comment wasn't about MP as a whole being a failure, it was about the low percentage of players that plays MP (5-10% if I recall correctly?). I vehemently disagree with the concept that this makes Warband MP a failure, but it's what TW made of it, and what they tried to address with Bannerlord. The current results speak for themselves.
If it's not a dedicated MP game I'd consider this quite normal. I can give the example of Paradox games, where there's a loyal competitive fanbase for the MP, but they're a small bunch of cracks who basicly are able to play the game reverse and blindfolded and still conquer the world. Most of the guys playing the SP for fun couldn't care less about all the advanced mechanics and what the game has to offer so if you provide these you have to accept that the majority might not care.

Right, exactly. Total War probably has even fewer multiplayer players (percentage-wise) than Warband had, and that doesn't make its multiplayer bad. Again, I'm not saying I think Warband failed or anything, quite the opposite. I'm just saying that the "Warband MP is a failure" statement comes from the fact that the devs only looked at the low percentage of MP players, which is dumb.

Warband actually sits at ~15% in MP, sometimes up or down to 10% or 20%. Bannerlord is under 5%. The first calculation I did when the game was at 200k concurrent and Callum said there were 6-8k in MP. That’s 3-4%, a massive decrease on what Warband managed, and Callum explained that as being because SP was new whilst MP had been around in the beta. Well, neither are new now and the percentage is still sub 5% in MP at any given time.

Warband actually sits at ~15% in MP, sometimes up or down to 10% or 20%. Bannerlord is under 5%. The first calculation I did when the game was at 200k concurrent and Callum said there were 6-8k in MP. That’s 3-4%, a massive decrease on what Warband managed, and Callum explained that as being because SP was new whilst MP had been around in the beta. Well, neither are new now and the percentage is still sub 5% in MP at any given time.
The server capacity isn't there for it.anyway atm to support a really big multiplayer community, not until private servers are released. You can't expect the devs to carry that burden alone and nobody does it afaik.
Making multiplayer a priority "later" might work, but it will lead anyway to a massive brain drain if long term players leave the franchise for good.

To adress this directly, the armory is just for comparison and basicly decoration. You can have a look at the weapon of each class, compare and make a pre-selection for match what you could choose.

You have to choose equipment again in MP. If you have played skirmish you get 300 gold to spend as you wish, you can combine it to a triple spawn up or quad spawn if you want to. The game is not explaining this to you.
Level and K/D is also not that important as you might think.
Its a troll post?

Totally fell for it. It's way too late to be online here anyway.
I just wanted to share the experience of MP from the point of view of an SP player who has never played a mount and blade MP. It was not too late when I joined the game, I was just not sure that I should leave a review. And now I know that I should not.

I don't think it was a troll post.

His experience was completely understandable for a new player, and serves as good feedback/criticism for Bannerlord's MP:

So, I started the game in MP mode. The first thing I saw was a Home screen with my user name and level, kill counts and other stats. And my level is 1. This is VERY bad start. Having lowest level on the start means that I have to face high level player with a lot of experience. Fighting experienced players is a challenge itself, but when you are fighting level 1 vs level X, this is unfair, very unfair.

Then I checked what I had in my Armory, but the interface was very unintuitive. I could not change the equipment. Or was I? I have no idea what I did there.

Then I clicked on the "Play" button only to see a message saying that I should select a region. I checked my profile, but there was no option for selecting the region. Game settings - no region option. Home screen, Armory - no region options. WTF? Whoever made this "region" button should burn in hell.

Region selected. Finally I can play.

Game starts. I'm in the lobby, my character looks like one of the lowest tier troops from SP. He has only a spear and an axe. No armor. I'm in deep ****. It was a flag capture match. It was OK. This is not my favorite match mode, but I can understand why some people like it.

Now, my opinion about MP:

0. No levels, please.
1. The user interface must be redesigned. The Region button should be larger and have a label. The Armory screen is too different from the SP inventory. How do I change weapons? Where is my armor?
2. The user must be able to select a match mode. If the game actually allows you to choose a match mode, this should be done in a more obvious way. I chose "Captain", "Skirmish", and "Siege" modes. I did not choose "Capture the Flag", moreover, there was no such option at all. But the game sends me exactly to that mode of the match, which I do not like.
3. Apparently, you can choose weapons in the lobby too. But there is the same problem as in the Armory. Inventory management in MP sucks.

It was not a bad experience, but not a good one either. Will I play MP again? Hell, no!

It would be nice if you could select preferred perks for classes in the armoury, although I'm not sure if it would work across all game modes. It would save you from having to select them each and every time while in the game. I can see how the lack of an equipment selection in MP is off-putting for new players coming from the SP (not just competitive players), and the lack of Battle mode is going to be annoying for them too.

I was completely new to M&B but bought Bannerlord quickly after hearing about it and watching some YouTube videos showing the amazing teamwork that the multiplayer community was pulling off. So far we can't do any of the things that made the game look like so much fun. There are rarely enough people to queue for a Siege match. Half the time the match crashes. The duel servers are worthless half the time due to trolls killing everybody.

Giving us private servers and battle mode would solve so many problems.

. I can see how the lack of an equipment selection in MP is off-putting for new players coming from the SP (not just competitive players), and the lack of Battle mode is going to be annoying for them too.

Never played warband mp, and joined the bannerlord mp because i wanted to play MB, but didn't want to start a new sp game after every patch.
I didn't know about the class system at this point.
As soon as i realised, that i can't select my equipment like in the sp, i closed multiplayer. Came back later for the same reasons (new sp games).
Now i have around 130h in the mp. I still hate the class system from the deepest of my heart. It doesn't let me play the way i want, i can't get used to a type of weapon, because i cannot use one weapon and master it. If i have to play vlandia, i usually leave, because they don't have a starter class, that i like.
There is not 1 class in all factions, that would match the equipment i would choose. Just compromises i can live with.
If i will keep playing mp depends on how much they change this class system. There have to be way more options.

The class system doesn't let players choose the weapon they like or make meaningful choices.

It's forcing you to pick the perk you like the most even though you hate all of them. It's taking the lesser evil

Ignoring all the other issues with the class system, I imagine it will simply not be able to compete with the first decent MP mod that gives players total freedom in terms of their loadout. If mods like cRPG and NI took a sizeable chunk of Warband's native MP population, I can only imagine what a similar mod would do to Bannerlord.

Playerbase is going to break so hard it's not even funny anymore, its inevitable. You can fix servers as much as you want, you can add as much skirmish maps as you want, it's going to break if you don't do some major changes.

The class system doesn't let players choose the weapon they like or make meaningful choices.

It's forcing you to pick the perk you like the most even though you hate all of them. It's taking the lesser evil

Let's not forget that "meaningful choices" also means literally nothing, ironically enough. What are they trying to say with that? My choice to trade armour for a sword isn't "meaningful" in any way that I can think of. Amongst classes, there are two kinds of situation with perks.

1) A clear meta which you can't avoid picking (Empire Legionnaires and Pila, shields on most starter classes, etc)
2) Changes which mean literally nothing for gameplay and therefore aren't "meaningful" in any sense (berserker axes, peasant weapons, etc)

Either way, your choices are either meaningless, or actively harmful to you. This isn't friendly to new or casual players who want to actually explore their interests (imagine someone picking Sturgian huntsman... yikes). It doesn't benefit competitive play, as hard metas are boring and bland to watch and play. And it doesn't give people a chance to play how they want.

Conversely, a warband-like system actually lets you make meaningful choices. Giving people gold and telling them to budget a combination gives them agency in developing a build. You, as a player, can decide what handicaps you'll accept, and what strengths you want to play to. That is infinitely more meaningful than, as Younes excellently put it: "pick[ing] the perk you like the most even though you hate all of them."

The difference between Warband and Bannerlord is like this: Warband's system gave you $100 and told you to buy whatever you wanted. Bannerlord offered you a choice between a pair of socks and a turnip. I know which one seems more meaningful and fun to me.

But TW still wanted to attract more singleplayer players, so they dumbed down the multiplayer to the point where neither part of the playerbase is interested. The old MP players don't care because it's not as good as it used to be, and the SP players still just don't care about MP.

I am part of some "facebook group" for Bannerlord, I asked the question about why people don't play MP, the vast majority of answers weren't even criticisms, they just aren't ****ing interested. They want to play singleplayer, they couldn't care if they got paid to play the best multiplayer game ever, they just want singleplayer.

So trying to appeal to these people is fruitless. I know others have already posted similar things but I thought that was the eye opener for me.

Also let's try not to go around in circles with the class system again. I am not in the mood for more depressive reading. Although that's all the forums feel like these days.

I'll just wait for the next patch. They are tacking their sweet time, so I hope there is something big coming for MP. Something like the addition of the 2nd perk during the Beta.

The next patch (this week) will bring nothing other than Xauna rework, new camel animations and a new loading screen for multiplayer. All the new things will be in the beta branch which we dont play in MP because there are no servers.

Back
Top Bottom