RIP Kobe Bryant

Users who are viewing this thread

pxjF2bl.png

Yeh I remember watching something once on how to **** around with the controls in a way that can create lift on a heli if the engine stops working. Quite awesome really. But the way I see it, helicopters are to planes like motorbikes are to cars in terms of danger.
This would be autorotation. By using the collective, you can pitch the blades of the rotor to be perpendicular to their rotation to minimize drag across them and keep them spun up for quite a while. You can then manipulate the stick to enter a steady, shallow dive which doesn't increase your speed significantly and keeps your rotors spinning. Before you hit the ground you use the collective to change the pitch on your rotors again to generate lift, slowing your descent enough to at least avoid a hard collision with the ground.

The pilot made a bad decision and was flying special visual flight rules when he should have been on an instrument flight plan, and it cost everyone their lives. Having a lot of military flight time, I've definitely had to push bad weather trying to get underneath clouds for mission essential stuff. One of those times it bit me in the ass and I accidentally went into the clouds. Going into the clouds when you're not expecting it is bad enough with an instrument rating, but for someone that is not qualified, it almost guarantees death due to vertigo and then controlled flight into terrain. Fortunately I have an instrument rating and a good amount of hours. Often times these charter pilots don't have that. This is just as likely to happen to a plane as it is a helo, btw.

P.S. Autorotations are fun

I hate to be the devil's advocate here but:

A person who happened to be a celebrity payed off a pilot to drive in dangerous conditions so he could get to a game on time and ended up killing his daughter too. The American people react with mourning and sadness, with no criticism at all about what was done here. Meanwhile, the news barely mentioned the challenger disaster anniversary, as to the people this is more significant.

Back
Top Bottom