rigging (is this possible?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Urlik

Sergeant Knight
one thing that bugs me with some of the really well made helms is that the coif under the helm looks great when you are standing still but when you move around it the base of the coif goes all over the place as it is just part of the mesh at the bottom of the helm.

is it possible to rig the bottom of the coif so it is attached to the neck/shoulders so the helm moves with the head but the bottom of the coif stays where it should be on the shoulders?

you could make the coif a part of the armour mesh instead of the helmet mesh. The side effect of that though is not being able to take it off without also taking off your armour.

Psiphoon said:
you could make the coif a part of the armour mesh instead of the helmet mesh. The side effect of that though is not being able to take it off without also taking off your armour.

wouldn't the head move all around outside the coif during the animations?

Yoshiboy said:

is that a definite "no" or just that no-one has tried it?

the helmet I'm having problems with is the klapp visor from the medieval helmets brf
I've seen similar things done in other games and was hoping that it might give someone who knows what they are doing the idea to try and test it out.
it would take me quite a while to learn the rigging before I can even think of editing and rigging something for a test run

bigboyaah said:
Psiphoon said:

wouldn't the head move all around outside the coif during the animations?

The riggable meshes (armour and boots I think) can be rigged to whatever bone you like, so you could rig the coif to the head even if it was a part of the armour. Though it still seems a bit weird that only certain meshes can be rigged while others can't. I suspect it has something to do with vertex animation.

Urlik said:
Yoshiboy said:

is that a definite "no" or just that no-one has tried it?

the helmet I'm having problems with is the klapp visor from the medieval helmets brf
I've seen similar things done in other games and was hoping that it might give someone who knows what they are doing the idea to try and test it out.
it would take me quite a while to learn the rigging before I can even think of editing and rigging something for a test run

Yeah helmets simply can't be rigged. People have tried it.

still doesn't work correctly for m&b but I doubt anyone has tried it for warband yet.
just add the itp_attach_armature tag and rig the helm.

Yes, it´s possible to rig helmets to the body in Mount and Blade: Warband. Take a look at some of the new female headgear.

Barf said:
still doesn't work correctly for m&b but I doubt anyone has tried it for warband yet.

faradon said:
Yes, it´s possible to rig helmets to the body in Mount and Blade: Warband. Take a look at some of the new female headgear.

the helmet I want to do this with is the klapp visor at the left of the picture in this thread
medieval helmet pack(updated mar.13 2010

in theory all I would have to do is attach the tag then rig the vertices/vertexes around the bottom of the coif part of the mesh and it should work?

or do either of you fancy trying it out? (seeing as 1; I still have to read up on a lot of tutorials. 2; I have to download and instal the plugins for max7 and 3; you 2 both know what you are doing already  :mrgreen: )

edit to add, I love it when that little bit of text under my avatar is proved right lol

which helm did you try it on?

and is it just a case of rigging the vertices/vertexes around the bottom of the mesh?

and will you be updating helms and rereleasing them?  :mrgreen:

faradon said:

Ah my bad, shows I've been too long from modding.

For shame yoshi, for shame...I'd also like to add that without your tutorials I would have had a much harder time modding m&b. ☮
edit: someone should make a rigging template for helmets we could transfer rigging from in Openbrf, that combined with the proper rotate/transform information and we get 2 step instant rigging..............................im gonna end up having to do it, but it was nice to pretend for a bit.

Barf said:

There is a tag for rigging? What else does it work on?

I tried it yesterday on a weapon mesh in Wb and it didn't work.....so that leaves, boots which I know it works on.

aaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhh

right got that put of my system

I got the SMD of a helmet into max7 and added all the bones but I am having problems with selecting the vertices/vertexes to attach to the bones

I can attach allthe ones at the base of the coif to the thorax, but I can't select all the vertices/vertexes for the helm part of the mesh to attach them to the head.

I tried using your tutorial Yoshi, but the pictures are no longer there (or they aren't showing for me for some reason) which makes it a litle hard to work out when you say it should look like this and the illustraion is a little red x LOL

I just had another thought of a possible use for this. add reigns to the horses and attach one end to the left hand of the rider.
not sure if the engine will like having a mesh connected to 2 skeletons, but if it works it will look really cool

I gotta assume English isn't your first language or you typed that hastily, I don't understand.....it sounds like you are saying you are having trouble selecting certain vertices which I find unlikely, so I'll also assume I am reading it wrong and the problem is something else.

Did you add the "head" bone to the list of bones in the skin modifier?.

I typed hastily :p

I added the bones and they were listed in the panel at the right of the screen

I could add the vertices around the bottom of the mesh to the thorax, but I couldn't get all the vertices of the helm attached to the head.
so at the bottom of the visor were not being included in the head bone selection and it wouldn't let me add them.

I tried ctrl plus left click and shift plus left click.

I managed to get the vertices highlighted in white, but when I clicked on add vertices it did nothing

going to try a reboot and see if it was just my pc being tired

Back
Top Bottom