[Outdated] Rigging Armors with Wings3d - Possible???

Users who are viewing this thread

Manitas

Grandmaster Knight
....Yes it is.
sort of.

Introducing an utility converting .obj models to .smd, using template .smd models as lookup for rigging.
Download obj2smd (updated Apr 25)

Code:
obj to smd 3d model converter for Mount&Blade/BRFedit
-----------------------------------------------------

Usage:
Unzip the obj2smd.exe somewhere.
type in command line:

"obj2smd [insmd] [inobj] [outsmd]"

[insmd] - (optional) filename containing .smd template model (or concatenation of them) exported from BRFedit, default is "in.smd"
[inobj] - (optional) filename containing an .obj model to be rigged, default is "in.obj"
[outsmd]- (optional) name of the output smd file, default is "out.smd"

For convenience, it's best to put all the files in the same folder as obj2smd.exe (saves typing in filename paths), or to name the files the default names, then you can just doubleclick the obj2smd.exe

Remarks:
--------

1).	Maintain the default BRFedit model orientation, that is:
	- obj: Y+ is up, facing Z+, scale 1x (Y values in range [0,2])
	- smd: Z+ is up, facing Y+, scale 10x
	the script will reorient the obj automaticly.

2).	When importing the model to BRFedit, uncheck the "Y/Z axis swap" box.

3).	As a smd template, use a model of similar type and size as your obj model.
	For best results, several smd models can be concatenated in one in.smd file 
Let me know if there are any problems.

Working perfect. I tried to rig my wolf with courser.smd I used blender. And I didn't make the wolf x1 scale or y+ up or z+ face. Because blender exporting options are different. Just import a native horse or armor obj to blender with your armor or horse mesh. And then, line up them well. Export your armor or horse mesh. And start the program. I have to say. Program works great!

Screenshot;

*tears of joy*

Wow, thankyou, this should make my mod so much easier to finish! I had a massive problem with rigging my custom horse meshes... I hope this works for them! Thank you so much!! *love* :grin:

Ibanez said:
Working perfect. I tried to rig my wolf with courser.smd I used blender.

Nice wolf,
To be honest, I didnt expect it would work well, cause wolf mesh is not very similar to horse's.

Grrr and humbug and more grrr... I can't do it...  :sad:

When I run the native horse SMD exported from brfedit (named in.smd) with my obj horse mesh (in.obj) it returns THIS:

Code:
 Processing in.smd .....
 Processing in.obj .....
 Riggin' .....
 Assembling output smd.....
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "obj2smd.py", line '162', in <module>
TypeError: 'NoneType' object does not support item assignment

So am I just doing it completely wrong or am I missing something or what? Could I have some detailed step by step instructions on how to do this please? Halp!

Sarrie

The .obj must have texture coords. (kinda obvious, but I should have mentioned)
UVmap it, reexport and retry.

saregona said:
*face palms*
Oh, der me, that's so obvious... I feel stupid now :sad: Thank you for the response, I'll map and try again :razz:
Not at all. Actually, anybody can happen to forget about UVmapping a model or just some vertices.

I added some more validations and error handling, so now you'll get a message saying what's wrong.
Link updated.

Manitas I hate you !

I've spent a couple of hours trying to rig my new armor (I do the rigging by vertex :???:), you come with this tool which can do it in... a few seconds, and it works better than me !  :neutral:

Really great work, it will save me a lot of work. A couple of screens to show how it works with the rigged heraldic_armor_d.smd on my model :

It just needs a few fixes on shoulders, just this...

So, I hate you but... thank you.  :wink:

i have the same problem as someone else did before, i export my mesh (its not a horse shape if that matters) i select horse skeleton because thats the closest fit and then BRF just crashes

Goddamn you, Manitas! I foresee a drop in my grades now!

Damn my propensity for wasting time!

So what exactly am I doing wrong here?

listindexoutofrangelt6.jpg

You know a step by step tutorial on how to use this app as well as what file exactly are needed and what to do with them afterward would have been really useful - at least, it would for me.

Back
Top Bottom