[Outdated] Rigging Armors with Wings3d - Possible???

Users who are viewing this thread

1. Make and UVmap a model, export as .obj.
2. Open BRFedit, export an .smd file as an .obj.
3. Open that in Wings, then import your other model, make sure they line up.
4. Copy your textured .obj file into the same folder as obj2smd.
5. Copy an .smd to the same folder.
6. Name the one in.obj, and the other in.smd.
7. Run the program.
8. ???
9. Profit. (In other words, out.smd will be generated. Import it into BRFedit, and you should be good.)

Incidentally, Manitas, would you be able to tell me what's going on here?
4qlwl3.jpg

James said:
1. Make and UVmap a model, export as .obj.
2. Open BRFedit, export an .smd file as an .obj.
3. Open that in Wings, then import your other model, make sure they line up.
4. Copy your textured .obj file into the same folder as obj2smd.
5. Copy an .smd to the same folder.
6. Name the one in.obj, and the other in.smd.
7. Run the program.
8. ???
9. Profit. (In other words, out.smd will be generated. Import it into BRFedit, and you should be good.)

4qlwl3.jpg

Thank you for the help, I appreciate. On step 2 you wrote to Open BRFedit and export an .smd file as an .obj - What file do I need to open and export as .obj? I am guessing skel_human.smd but I get an error message everytime I open it in BRFedit. I tried an empty file but it wont let me export.

Sir Silver said:
Did you uncheck the "Y/Z axis swap" box when importing in BRF Edit? It seems UV and vertex coords are flipped.

Yah...

And no, there are only a few things messed up. Note how there are about ten verts that seem to shoot off to the sides for some reason, as if they weren't properly rigged.

MathieuG89 said:
So what exactly am I doing wrong here?

*image*

You know a step by step tutorial on how to use this app as well as what file exactly are needed and what to do with them afterward would have been really useful - at least, it would for me.
Most likely, skel_human.smd does not contain valid smd format.

James said:
4qlwl3.jpg
The tool uses a template smd to guess proper vertex weights, sometimes it might fail if it does not get enough info from the template.

Have you tried using another template? The more highpoly the better, or even several of them glued together.
Similarity is also important, you won't get good results using skirt for rigging pants and vice versa.

Also, I'd check the .obj for bad geometry, and do the mesh cleanup before exporting.

All I want really is to duplicate existing armors and point them to different textures. I could care less the way they are UV mapped, I only need them to point to something other than "costumes.dds", that way I could add the same armors with different textures to the game. Is there an easier way to do that? If not, could someone expand on the steps posted above?

MathieuG89 said:
All I want really is to duplicate existing armors and point them to different textures. I could care less the way they are UV mapped, I only need them to point to something other than "costumes.dds", that way I could add the same armors with different textures to the game. Is there an easier way to do that? If not, could someone expand on the steps posted above?

The fastest way I see is to export the armor in SMD with BRF Edit, rename it and finally import it with its new name in BRF Edit and change the material. You won't need to change UV Map or to rig it.

Right.

If you start with a new BRF file, the easiest way to do it is have the material and texture all in the same file. I made a video of how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMQKc0Hr6TY&fmt=18

nice ava minitas, used to look at it every day while pissin, seemed my dad like it too and thought it was good bathroom art.

hmmm angels would be nice, like in heroes of might and magic.

hmm maybe wings 3d r not wings! i dunno.

ahh 3d modeler, well wings on a person aka angel would be sweet!

Manitas,

This looks like a great program, but for some reason I can't get it to work. 

In Command Prompt I get this:

54303872zn0.jpg

And when I simply double click I get this:

57641383qj9.jpg

I've tried quite a few combinations of file names and command prompt entries, but they all get the same result.  Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Sorry I if I'm missing something very obvious, though.

Thanks. 

This does not look like problem with the program itself, the system didn't even try to run it.

What system are you using? I've heard Vista is known of prohibiting certain actions for some strange reasons. However, I've never used Vista, thus i know nothing about it.

I have tried this on my two computers - my computer and my laptop, both of which operate on Windows XP.  It's the same result for both.

-Edit:-

I believe I have figured it out.  I needed to install the latest version of the .net framework for it to run the program.  So if anyone encounters that problem, that should take care of it.  Now I'll test and see if it works fully. 

-Edit Again:-

I've tested it and it works perfectly now.  So yes, I needed to install a new .net framework.  It works great, thank you Manitas for a great tool.

Funny, the tool has nothing to do with .net framework.

Microsoft always manages to produce most amazing problems. :wink:

Well the reason I thought to install a new .net framework was because I decided to look up any other .obj to .smd converters out there, just to see if there was a way around what I was trying.  There was one for the game Half-Life 2 (which I do not play and know little about) so I decided to download it and look at it.

The two programs were very similar with some exceptions - notably that the Half-Life 2 converter simply converted .obj to .smd without using another .smd as a skeleton basis.  Other than that, the two seemed to operate on a very similar system.  I read the readme and under the "What you need to use this program..." heading, it said you need .net framework 2.0.  I thought well, my .net framework is most likely out of date or non-existent, so I downloaded the latest one (3.5) and installed it.

Right after I installed it, it worked.  My understanding of how the two are related is zilch.  I don't really understand these things, I just get used to them. 

Either way, it works great now, so once again, thanks for the program. 

So, how does this work?

I simply model the armor and UV map it. OKAY. - what about texturing? Do i texture it like any other object and use that file or is it otherwise textured?

Is there something as a complete tutorial?

Jurikles said:
So, how does this work?

I simply model the armor and UV map it. OKAY. - what about texturing? Do i texture it like any other object and use that file or is it otherwise textured?

Is there something as a complete tutorial?

well, you should texture it =P

but if there's a texture file for it or not is pretty irrelevant to the model(and hence to rigging and to this tool), since it only stores the UV map and the texture is a separate image file =P

that is perfect. where to find detailed information on what rigging actually "is" or to put it clearly, how to do it except from the part using this tool (or is it all? Dont i need to define several important spots or sth????)

Thanks for your answer!

Jurikles said:
that is perfect. where to find detailed information on what rigging actually "is" or to put it clearly, how to do it except from the part using this tool (or is it all? Dont i need to define several important spots or sth????)

Thanks for your answer!

I'm a lame-ass coder, not a rigger so cant help you with that. My previous response was the last bits of my modeling and rigging knowledge

But I believe this tool does all the rigging work for you, so you just model, uv map it and use the tool. However it is not 100% guaranteed to work.

Back
Top Bottom