Rhodoks step up

Users who are viewing this thread

gnawid

Regular
I recently started a new game as a Rhodok commander. In the first 45 days ingame, the Rhodoks have taken over Shariz, Durquaba (dunno how to spell), Narra and Dhirim, with the battle in Shariz the only one I participated in. The Rhodoks aren't so weak now, huh? :smile:

Does anyone else have a story of Rhodoks dominating instead of being dominated for once? 

Almost every game I start begins with the Rhodoks taking Shariz and that castle on the way to it, but Swadia usually takes Veluca too.  I never really see any of the AI factions completely dominate.

I've only played the one game since Warband came out, 730-odd days now, but it's the Khergits dominating in my one. I started with the Sarranids and we crushed the Khergies; they were down to Ichamur and a couple of castles. When I left to start my own faction, though, the Gits started owning. They took back Tulga and Narra (although that changes hands frequently), as well as Dhirim and even Khudan. They had Curaw for a while too, before I took it off them and handed it back to the Vaegirs.

As usual the Swadians got owned, not helped by my decision to start my own faction in their lands. Oddly enough, though, the lord of Barriye defected to them, so now they have one castle in their old lands and a town on the opposite side of Calradia in the desert.

gnawid said:
I recently started a new game as a Rhodok commander. In the first 45 days ingame, the Rhodoks have taken over Shariz, Durquaba (dunno how to spell), Narra and Dhirim, with the battle in Shariz the only one I participated in. The Rhodoks aren't so weak now, huh? :smile:

Does anyone else have a story of Rhodoks dominating instead of being dominated for once?

You're missing the point. All factions are designed so that they more or less equally compete on the campaign map. But this is *artificial*.

Rhodoks are the weakest - one on one they'd lose from anyone. But on campaign map, developers help Rhodoks with "instant mass Sergeants/Sharpshooter" armies, fake autocalculate that almost equals Swadian Knight with Rhodok Peasant, and of course their position on the map. Swadia will be busy all the time which means Rhodoks just need to handle Sarranids, and Sarranids are very stretched like Chile.

But if player uses Rhodok only troops from the beginning, without autocalculate, you're much weaker than pretty much anyone else, and your progress is much slower.

I agree. In my game as the Rhodocks, they have conqured shariz, and, Sargoth!!!! There was a world war with the diplomacy alliances. Rhodocks made alliance with the Swadians, who attacked the nords. Crazy marshal reland walked off to sargoth and captured it!

Rhodok never weak to start with. They have their strength.
In the hand of human player, rhodok always shine. In fact i found rhodok is the easiest faction to play with.
Just avoid any field battle and concentrate at sieging castle/city. Their sharpshooter is deadly for siege.
Also they have one of the best  troop for castle/city defense in term of wage and function, Rhodok crossbowman!

Dark Elf said:
Rhodok never weak to start with. They have their strength.

This.

The supposed weakness of Rhodoks is nothing but a myth, probably due to the style of play Warband encourages (heavy cavalry armies) and the players' expectancy that the Rhodok would be the ones to stop them.

I play Swadians, about 1300 days.

Rhodoks are weak to command, but almost hardest as an enemy. Especially when they are defending large castles. After one of the last patches, 150 Rhodoks defenders can kill 200 of attacking swadians - their pavise shields give them great defense against missiles and spears, and they have crossbows, which now are real killing machines.

But I have noticed also another facts - Rhodoks commanders aren't as aggresive as for example Khergits - they've quite defensive style of playing, while Khergit armies are always on the move, and they move quite fast.

In my games, in which I usually play as a Rhodok (I restart after patches), they take Vincourd and Haringoth Castle, lose Jamiche early on, take it back, take Weyah Castle, and then Weyah castle goes through a switching of the hands. I have never seen them take a city myself, despite trying to persuade them as much as possible to take Uxhal or Shariz. I've taken Dhirim and Suno for them, but since leaving their Kingdom is starting to unravel a bit. The Sarranids and Swadians keep (unsuccessfully) besieging Veluca. They've lost Weyah and Almerra Castle and Kelredan too (they and the Vaegirs keep fighting over it).

Goddam there crossbows can be annoying on open fields, even more so in Sieges.

Atm Sarranids seem to be weakest, really I cant think of any distinctly good units except Mamelukes and Guards are kinda "tis ok"

Everyone else seems fine, the Rhodok crossbow men count could do with some -slight- lowering but otherwise they're good.

am i the only one who NEVER sees any campaign map expansion?  at most a castle or two falls, only to be retaken.

It's all depend on the marshal i think.
in one of my native game, nord faction chose the right man for the job. In one war they took more than half of vaegir. Basically marshal call for arm, siege a castle/city, after winning, they go feasting at sargoth. Repeat 8 times.

Several time this thing happen in my game. I already see all faction go to greatness, except khergit, somehow from 8-10 game so far, they never step up.

Rhodoks got nerfed, enjoy :smile:

(Hilarious as it sounds)

Abokasee-Red said:
Atm Sarranids seem to be weakest, really I cant think of any distinctly good units except Mamelukes and Guards are kinda "tis ok"

You mean, as opposed to Rhodoks who have 3 very good troop lines?

Damn I must control myself, low IQ irritates me and I get annoyed fast.

Ok let's try nicely. Sarranids have Mamlukes. Is there any reason why in this game you would use anything other than Mamlukes as Sarranid? Or, is there any reason why you would use anything but Huscarls as a Nord? Or Sharpshooters as a Rhodok? Do you really plan on using spearmen as a Rhodok? Really? The entire troop line is utter trash worse than Looters, and Sergeants would be "ok" if it wasn't for the fact that any other faction has a unit that 1 on 1 would beat Sergeant with ease. Whom is Sergeant going to fight? Huscarl? Swadian Knight? Mamluke? Vaegir Knight? Khergit Lancer or Horse Archer?

Or you can just pretend that siege is the only battle that ever happens in singleplayer, and also never mind the fact that ranged units are not even good in some castles, like that desert Sarranid castle where your sharpshooters can't even hit the top of the ladders properly and you have to order them to charge.

Yoshi Murasaki said:
Ok let's try nicely. Sarranids have Mamlukes. Is there any reason why in this game you would use anything other than Mamlukes as Sarranid? <snip />

For fun? I mean, those get really boring after a while...

Qwertyman said:
am i the only one who NEVER sees any campaign map expansion?  at most a castle or two falls, only to be retaken.
I was actually thinking that untill I started my new game with the Sarranids. Now one year in, the Vaegirs have only Rivacheg left, the Nords have taken both Curaw and Reyvadin, Khergit hordes now rule Dhrim and Khudan and the Rhodoks have taken over Suno, I'm very surprised, but it's probably due to the fact except for us every other faction is usually at war with at least 2 others.

Yoshi Murasaki said:

Jeez, I'd avoid mirrors then, if I were you.

Qwertyman said:

Every game is different, I think. There is tons of map expansion in my game. Khergits, of all people, have expanded, and are pushing Vaegirs back. And the Nords, before I attacked them, had five or six cities, as well as Rhodoks, who took Shariz from the Sarranids (and that was when I was a Sarranid. Damn armies with 500+ sergeants and sharpshooters).

Yoshi Murasaki said:
Yes, please work harder on your self control. No one here is interested in debating with your emotions.

Yoshi Murasaki said:
Sarranids have Mamlukes. Is there any reason why in this game you would use anything other than Mamlukes as Sarranid? Or, is there any reason why you would use anything but Huscarls as a Nord? Or Sharpshooters as a Rhodok?
Well, yes. Yes, there is.

I use Vaegir Marksmen... But they are top tier too. And they are only good because 100+ arrows hitting people is lulzy.

But, I'm pretty sure a Rhodock Sergeant could kill a lancer in 1v1 combat. Assuming both were dismounted of course. Apart from that, yes they are completely fail because Huscarls are just better in every way. It seems Vaegirs and Rhodocks really got cut short. Both have _decent_ ranged units, but they don't have the raw power of the Huscarl, the mounted strength of Knights or Mamelukes, nor the speed of the Lancers.

It's about Faction total strength.
Nords have the best infantry line, average but hardy archer line, no cavalry.
Rhodoks have the best archer line, good infantry line, no cav and favorable defensive terrain, esp vs cavalry.

Vaegirs have second best archer line, good cavalry, average infantry.
Swadia has best heavy cavalry line, average archer line with good firepower, average infantry.
Sarranids has good cavalry and fragile but fast archers and infantry.

Khergits are set up differently and require a different approach.

It's all about finding out ways to utilize your troops to maximum effect. You can win with any faction. Any faction can win.

Back
Top Bottom