Need More Info Scene Editor RGL error when painting layers, saving a scene, or moving layers up or down levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Unmodded
Summary:

When creating a new paint layer, painting with a paint layer, or saving a scene, your paint layer(s) may suddenly take on checkerboard patterns, sometimes with the text "MISSING TEXTURE", and in your editor console you may get the message "rglGPU_device::create_texture_array failed at d3d_device_-> CreateTexture2D! The parameter is incorrect". If you continue painting with the brush, additional chunks of texture will take on the pattern as well.

If you save at this point, the missing texture/checkerboards will persist to the saved scene and your scene will effectively be ruined. This forces you to abort without saving each time and reload to your last save point to try to paint/create the layer again. Repeated attempts seem more likely to fail.

How to Reproduce:

Can happen when creating a new paint layer, shifting the order of the paint layers, or saving a scene. If it happens it may crash when you try to reload the scene. I have uploaded a crash log from this, the ID is below.

Crash upload: 2022-10-22_21.39.59_d3d1b4c9296755d96c743e746dce35fd

Crash upload 2: 2022-10-22_22.01.11_d3d1b4c9296755d96c743e746dce35fd

Specific Tool: Scene Editor
Media (Screenshots & Video):

Computer Specs:
GPU: NVDIA GTX 1080 SC
GPU Driver Version:
CPU: Intel i7-6700k
RAM: 32gb
Motherboard: ASUS
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

EDIT:
I have uploaded a scene that has reproducible crashes, use the 'burn_1' layer and paint with it for a little bit and you should get the rgl errors/checkerboard texture. If you then try to reload the scene right after, it will crash the entire game.

Last edited:
Yes I've still seen it happen. I think what's maybe going on is either too many layers are being used or what's being painted is too complex. In subsequent scenes when I've had this happen I can usually avert it by just deleting a paint layer. Anything over 10 I stay away from now. There really should be some sort of warning/error kicked out that tells you you're at the max/limit instead of just breaking things though, as I suspect it depends on how large your scene is.

Back
Top Bottom