Reverence: FPS Melee with Full Control of your Movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Nahkuri said:
I remember playing with Raz and this American fellow whose name escapes me. Not Fooshie, but some other yank who was around a lot in 2008. I cut off both their weapon arms as the sword piggie and then spent the rest of the round chasing them and whacking at them with their own arms. Jolly good fun.
Exactly! :lol:
The expansion added an interesting twist on a football game as well.
Only the AI doesn't really understand how to do it so you have to have other humans for that.

Here were the some of the other dev videos per request:

Total Leg Control:

Total Body Control:

As for controllers, in that video I was just using the mouse (reminiscent to DBtS). For motion controllers it currently works with the Leap Motion or a smartphone, but I want to do integrate with other controllers like the STEM system.

Here was a quick write-up I did on how the controls for mouse work:

Super TLDR:
No Mouse Button Pressed = FPS Control,
Hold LMB = Arm Control,
Hold RMB = Defensive Arm Control Hold
LMB+RMB = Full extension Arm Control
Tap MMB = Move arm to customizable keyframe position

TL: For mouse and keyboard, you control it normally like any FPS, but if you hold LMB, you have complete control of the arm. I think stopping turning when striking is more realistic to simulate planting your foot, but you can toggle circling to "Lock on" to an opponent so turning is handled is automatically - this can make you predictable though and your opponent will know you are mindlessly turning whichever way he wants you to.

With Muscle Memory, you can control just the shoulder, and use pre-programmed/customizable movements for all the other joints. For example, you might enable "Two handed Weapon" muscle memory, then when you move the shoulder the arm knows how the forearm and wrist should be oriented based on the location of the arm (winding up, mid attack, follow through, overhead, etc.). You can switch muscle memory on the fly - If you hold RMB, you move your arm in a defensive way, or if you hold LMB+RMB it's a maximum extension swing.

You can override any joint at any time though if you want to make some fine tuning - mouse wheel will rotate all the joints in the arm at once, or you can hold down different keys to focus on one joint (4th mouse button or 5th mouse button if you want).

Lastly, you can just pre-program shoulder "coordinates" into the system, and toggle through these by pressing MMB instead of using the free control. This would be just like toggling through keyframes in an procedural animation - though you can freely switch back to full control at any time. I used this to throw the axe in trailer video because it was hard to execute a throw while controlling my character from that angle.

I think it looks cool, but I feel like anything beyond the simple, "press button to swing" is beyond the fun realm for a mouse and keyboard.

Well you can make customizable attacks to get triggered at the click of a button, but the downside is you become much more predictable

Wellenbrecher said:
Is this any, and if so how is it different from the equally cool and horrible system in Die by the Sword?

Hey Wellenbrecher, sorry I missed your question. The mouse controls are a little like DbtS, but my focus is more on providing fine tuning and precision to every joint, so using the muscle memory editor the community can continue to polish Reverence by creating new stances/styles and sharing them. An expert in sword fighting could potentially be able to create more effective muscle memory stances that should give anyone a real advantage.

This looks like it could be really sweet. I can see it being a very niche thing though.

Is multiplayer up and running and is it possible to see some 'real' fights to see how it moves in practice?

I think it seems like something really cool could come out of this if done right, but could easily end up being entirely too goofy looking or weird if overly odd motions and tricks end up being too effective (or is what could end up making it great).

Anyway would like to really see it in motion for real if possible!

Thanks! I agree, it is probably a niche thing, a lot of people just want to win. I think it works out realistically, I'm going to try to get some more videos uploaded explaining how it works and then a video of some 1v1.
For now, I have our first voice command pack demo:

Sounds like a big white dude acting black.

I like the way he's just bobbing back and forth while saying random things, and then suddenly dies.

I can see people using this to do some weird **** and posting it on youtube. If you add modablility then, well you have a good combo for crazy and awesome  :wink:

Nahkuri said:
I remember playing with Raz and this American fellow whose name escapes me. Not Fooshie, but some other yank who was around a lot in 2008. I cut off both their weapon arms as the sword piggie and then spent the rest of the round chasing them and whacking at them with their own arms. Jolly good fun.
Ha! That would've been CrazyEyes. This also reminded me of those sessions. I'm surprised we got the game up and running, let alone play multiplayer. :lol: Good times!

Just put out a short 60 second feature video about the jiggle physics (dynamic hit reactions) and total hand control:

Back
Top Bottom