OSP 2D Art Retexturing Resources Project - Pack 1 available now

Users who are viewing this thread

Retexturing Resources Project

This project works on creating alpha selection channels, for native files. This enables modders to easily retexture the files by quickly selecting the various parts.

In order to make use of these, photoshop (or another program that can read .psd files) is required.

You will, also, need to paste the original texture into the respective file, so that the alpha selections can be loaded. To load an alpha selection, in photoshop, simply open the 'Select' dropdown menu and choose: 'Load selection'

Pack 1 - Download Link (courtesy of the M&B repository)

Pack 1 contains alpha selections for:-

• brigandine_b
  • brynie_a
  • coarse_tunic_a
  • coat_of_plates_b
  • haubergeon_c
  • peasant_man_a
  • ragged_leather_jerkin
  • red_gambeson_a
  • rich_tunic_a
  • tabard_b

A lot of the modding I'm doing, right now, consists of producing multiple retextures, for a single model.

When Doing this, I tend to select alike parts of the texture (e.g. all the leather parts) and adjust hue/saturation or overlay, with another colour. For convenience, I have begun to save each selection to an alpha channel, in photoshop, so that I can easily edit each part of the texture. This saves huge amounts of time and means that each texture can be made, in a matter of minutes.

Below, you can see that the three models have just, quickly and easily, had their colours switched around, using this technique.

4441690814_a64923aaaf_o.jpg

Now, I have no doubt that many others will have adopted this technique, on their own account but what I propose is that a resource bank be set up, for people to contribute alpha selections to native models. This will save people from going through the process of creating their own selection channels.

My question is: Would this be legal? If so, I will upload the my existing work and encourage others to do the same.

EDIT: If you have no idea what I'm talking about, hopfeully this will clear things up:

4441714618_69ef56f365_o.jpg

In this instance, loading that alpha selection would select all the red parts.

I usually just create layers, but alpha selections work well, too. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be legal. The mod community is fully encouraged.. and you're working from the base game textures.

Aye, but they are Warband textures. I argued the same as Septa a while ago, but people seemed to think it would be a bad thing. Also; I don't tend to want to mass-produce in such a way that I need that method. And I don't know how to do it, either. :p

I still think this can be considered useful, even if you don't plan to mass produce. I'm fixing the few that I've already done and doing a few more, in order to prepare an initial pack, of ten. I'll save them in blank .psd files (with only the alpha selections-no legal issues, there), .rar them and upload them.

Obviously, it's a fairly niche thing but if someone had already done this, it'd be of use to me.

All you have to do is: copy the original texture, into the applicable psd. Not complicated.

FrisianDude said:
Aye, but they are Warband textures. I argued the same as Septa a while ago, but people seemed to think it would be a bad thing. Also; I don't tend to want to mass-produce in such a way that I need that method. And I don't know how to do it, either.

I hadn't thought of that, but with Warband currently at v.0.802, you wont be waiting long if you want to hold off.

I think the textures, by themselves, are relatively harmless.. just the alpha channels would be even more harmless. You're not including the *.brf file with the meshes, or anything.

Since the game was made to incorporate modules, I would only think the devs would almost expect you to alter texture files espcially since many mods have already been made, implying they would have meddled with the source files a bit. So I doubt Taleworlds is going to vigorously go after you if you do this little open source project.

Good idea btw. I never actually thought of making a blank sheet textures from the alpha channel for easy selection. This will certainly make recycling a lot easier.

I think the problem is that it is just as easy to create the alpha channels yourself and use layers as it is to find the corresponding file from your pack.  If I were considering changing every armor set and making multiples of each, I would probably use it.

A better way to help the community is be perhaps making a tutorial on how to use the alpha channel to use as a template texture so that other might be able to apply that to their own individual things.

I made something like this, when I created charger-textures.

Like this:
pferdemaskedecke.png

pferdemaskeketten.png

pferdselbstmaske.png

I got 9 of these selecting different parts of the charger texture, I used to create these:

chargerdf.png

chargerws.png

chargero1.png

I'm sorry, it's not for Warband textures. Would you still like to get those 9 things Captain?

That's pretty sad, because this method is really(!!!) helpful for retexturing all that stuff.  :neutral:
well, if you want to make some quick charger textures, you can ask me  :wink:

edit: But it's just 10 days, since you posted this thread!
...how do you know, noone's interested? You can put everything for download and I'm
sure, sooner or later people will make use of it.
...where shall I send you my charger-things?

Back
Top Bottom