Resolved Resolution automatically sets to "Desktop Resolution" and everything appears fuzzy

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

UA-Turtle

Recruit
Summary: I just bought a new computer with overall better specs than my previous one. My previous one could run the game at max graphics with the exception of shadows, and this one should be able to just fine. However, I've noticed that everything appears blurry/grainy/pixelated, even on max graphics. Film grain is off and I've put sharpening at 0, and I've turned off NVIDIA DLSS, as some people said that caused a problem for them. None of this worked, and my graphics option always says "desktop resolution" and changing the option just reverts back to that. This is a new install of the game, no mods, as its the first game I downloaded on the PC. I'm using the same 144hz 1920x1080 monitor as before. My drivers are up to date. The game looks noticeably better on my old PC despite this PC's GPU being better.
How to Reproduce: Unkown
Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Scene Name (if related): N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video): People look like they have blurry outlines , Second Image, objects appear blurry
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
GPU Driver Version: 31.0.15.2849
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: HP 89B5 A (SMVB)
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Could you please check the engine_config.txt file after changing the desktop resolution setting on the game to see if the text file is changing? The file is located in C:\Users\user.name\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs folder.
display_mode setting should be 1 if the display mode setting is desktop resolution. Manually saving the setting as this can also work.

Summary: I just bought a new computer with overall better specs than my previous one. My previous one could run the game at max graphics with the exception of shadows, and this one should be able to just fine. However, I've noticed that everything appears blurry/grainy/pixelated, even on max graphics. Film grain is off and I've put sharpening at 0, and I've turned off NVIDIA DLSS, as some people said that caused a problem for them. None of this worked, and my graphics option always says "desktop resolution" and changing the option just reverts back to that. This is a new install of the game, no mods, as its the first game I downloaded on the PC. I'm using the same 144hz 1920x1080 monitor as before. My drivers are up to date. The game looks noticeably better on my old PC despite this PC's GPU being better.
How to Reproduce: Unkown
Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Scene Name (if related): N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video): People look like they have blurry outlines , Second Image, objects appear blurry
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
GPU Driver Version: 31.0.15.2849
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: HP 89B5 A (SMVB)
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD
I've noticed this before, and I "think" it comes down to another setting.
Under Options -> Performance -> Resolution Scaling
If you have "Dynamic Resolution Scaling" enabled, and a "Dynamic Resolution FPS Target" that is a little too high for your vid card to keep consistently, then the game just drops your resolution.
I turned that option off and it's still fine.

I turned sharpening to 100 and that seems to have improved the fuzzyness part of the issue, although the label for resolution still says desktop resolution no matter what the config file says. It could be any resolution, but all say desktop resolution.

I can confirm similar behavior but not in good detail. I have 4k OLED LG C2 - 3070ti GPU. And during my initial setup i made numerous changes of Fullscreen Resolution/ Desktop Resolution - DLSS on/off , Sharpening different values etc.
And i can say that i got some very blurry images that wore unusual - when i changed from Fullscreen -> Desktop -> and back. If you play around with it you will see some strange behavior. My initial idea was it was related to Resolution scaling to have not 1-on-1 match of virtual pixel - to - real monitor pixel. But i not can pin-point the problem. I now have a stable "sharp" setting but it took me around 1h to find it.
This are my settings ( that are not blurry ) :
https://ufile.io/3zfg8ikm & https://ufile.io/iqsep2sa >>> other settings may give less that good results. Fullscreen may not even work - as permeant setting - as if i remember it did not save/or was to blurry.

AA setting not in printscreen that i have to write here : Temporal SMAA x2
Also i expect taleworld to implement DLSS 3.1.11 with tweaked settings in the future - to be sharp as the present DLSS version 2.1.39.0 . Seems that the new DLSS may bring some new performance improvement/less ghosting - but it needs to tweaked by DEV's. The new DLSS file - is to generic and i saw it is blurry.

Last edited:
I am marking this thread as resolved because we did not get the information asked in time. If you are still experiencing this issue please let us know by leaving a reply to this thread. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom