In Progress Scene Editor Resizing Map relocates Navmesh

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm working on two versions of the same worldmap. A full 16x16 node version and a cut-down 8x8 node version. Having sunk a fair amount of time partially navmeshing the 8x8 version, I wanted to transfer that work to my 16x16 node version. Accordingly, I used the resize terrain function to extend my 8x8 node version to a 16x16 node version and imported my 16x16 node height map. As you can see from the following screenshot everything looks fine in the editor.

5VgHn.jpg

Unfortunately, when I save this result and reload it the navmesh has shifted as shown in the following editor screenshot:

ekUk6.jpg

The act of saving appears to relocate the navmesh automatically to the extended maps bottom left corner as opposed to leaving it where I wanted it. Clearly, this invalidates the value of the resize terrain function after constructing a navmesh.

I tried adding new navmesh faces in the hope of inserting something in the bottom left corner to avoid repositioning, but the tools proved unstable working on an unsaved Navmesh.

@Dejan is it possible to either correct editor saves to avoid navmesh relocation after resizing terrain or provide some other means of transferring useable navmesh.bin data from one worldmap to another where they are required at different coordinates? I was torn between posting this as a suggestion or a bug.

Yeah, sounds like a bug to me if it relocates the navmesh upon saving. Will bring it up. Also moved this thread to the bug reports section.

Might also be good to send over the map for testing purposes (if you don't wish to share it publicly feel free to PM me).

@Dejan it seems once reloaded, I can select all vertices and move my navmesh back from the bottom corner towards its correct position. Thereafter, it stays put on further saves. Tricky to move the whole of a 8x8 node navmesh manually using the T widget. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I used an adam to mark where the bottom left corner was needed.

N6uEt.jpg

Not exact, but the navmeshes over my bridges as narrow references seem correct. :xf-smile:
PS a bug fix would still be helpful.

Relocating my partial navmesh manually doesn't work, even if I extrude sections to cover all potential player spawn points (they seem hardcoded) and ensure some navmesh is extruded to the bottom left hand corner of my terrain. I get crashes on loading Sandbox with the relocated navmesh, but I can load the same campaign map by substituting this navmesh for one that hasn't been moved. I presume manually relocating it doesn't correct some critical coordinate within navmesh.bin, but I can't read those files.

@Dejan just to update you and make a further suggestion - moving the Navmesh after saving works. The crashes were caused by Sandbox campaign map player spawn points (only used at the start of each Sandbox campaign) outside my centralised Navmesh. To test my map in-game I needed to add a single passible navmesh face that covers the entire map and floats high above my preferred Navmesh. Moving from one Navmesh to the other after the initial off-central-navmesh spawn requires cheat mode teleports.
IMO the coordinates for Sandbox player spawn points should not be locked in C# code - we're not all programmers. Even if my Navmesh completely covered the whole map, I'd still want to change the factional starting spawn points from those used by Calradia. This will be the case for all full conversion modders. Please suggest these factional coordinates are made moddable through settlements.xml for low-tech modders and sceners. If the distance cache needs to reference them, then scene editor spawn points would be better than hard-coding.

Last edited:
Please suggest these factional coordinates are made moddable through settlements.xml for low-tech modders and sceners. If the distance cache needs to reference them, then scene editor spawn points would be better than hard-coding.
Got it, will bring it up at the next meeting.

IMO the coordinates for Sandbox player spawn points should not be locked in C# code - we're not all programmers. Even if my Navmesh completely covered the whole map, I'd still want to change the factional starting spawn points from those used by Calradia. This will be the case for all full conversion modders. Please suggest these factional coordinates are made moddable through settlements.xml for low-tech modders and sceners. If the distance cache needs to reference them, then scene editor spawn points would be better than hard-coding.
Hey, just a note that we discussed this at the meeting. Since it can easily be done from the code, we rejected the idea of having them in XML.

Back
Top Bottom