[research] samnites

Users who are viewing this thread

rgcotl said:
well thanks i think that we havent that book
and here i was able to find an link to the pages of that book
http://michael-engel.io.ua/album505865_18

Seek n Destroy said:
We had some elements of the book scattered here and there and now this is pretty much a "compilation" of what we had and plenty more. We had in mind to improve a bit the italic tribes and cie and this will definitely help, thanks.

Glad I could help. I love the mod, and anything that improves it and/or helps you is something I will do if it's inside my capabilities.

Also, just in case:
http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1348999/

It's another thesis, from 1993. This one deals with the helmets, that were absent in the other one.  It's pretty long, almost 900 pages between the two volumes, but it comes with illustrations and hopefully, will be useful.  Also, Open Access, so it's free for everyone interested.

Appreciated but this one we had it for a while but I ignored the existence of the previous one, we've tracked a bunch of helmets referenced in the book and made a few dozen of them, montefortino, negau, italo-chalcidian, thraco-etruscan, etc...

I'm happy to hear that.

If I find anything more, I suppose I will post it here. Being a History student is useful sometimes, as it turns out.

Samnite Warrior (III BC) - Igor Dzis

%D0%9D%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B5+%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B55678.jpg

well this one is documented in the book greek hoplite 480-323BC page 33.
"A bronze herald's wand or kerykeion, inscribed as "belonging to the state of the Syracusans". The form of the letters suggest a date of c. 485-470.
That probably still could fit our mod, but i believe it should come to the Syracuse.
197861_antike_heroldstabDET_FREI_0daf69fce4.png

1978_61_antike_heroldstab_A1_FREI_DET_7b2079cad0.png

artwork by Graham Sumner  :arrow: http://gsillustrator.co.uk/work.php?type=1

Samnite

img74.jpg

from the book: "Roman Conquests - Italy"

Roman Princeps and Samnite of the Linen Legion 295 BC

A Samnite of the Linen Legion (left) engages a Roman centurion (right) at the battle of Aquilonia,
293 BC. The Samnite is protected by a triple disc cuirass, know from archaeological and finds and
Sabellian tomb paitings, the bronze belt, which was a mark of Italic manhood and militarism, and
twin feathers in his helmet to connect him with the war god, Mamers. The Samnite’s fine, white
linen tunic, gave rise to the title legio linteata (Linean Legion). He is armed with a dual-purpose
javelin, suitable for thrusting at close-quarters, and for throwing. The centurion is identified by
the transverse crest and, as befits his rank and years spent stripping the armour from the bodies of
his opponents, wears an expensive muscled cuirass and greaves.

LZKKxye.jpg

Roman Triarius and Gallic Noble C.284 BC

A Senonian chief (left), wearing equipment from tombs discovered in the ager Gallicus region,
uses his scutum in a typically offensive fashion to topple a Roman triarius (right) at the Battle of
Arretium in 284 BC. The horned helmet of the triarius may be plunder taken from a Sabellian
warrior; the bull’s horns were symbolic of Mamers

aemAy8B.jpg

more on Sabellians  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabellians

more armor archaeology

tdYhJ0t.jpg

It sure is, it's not too unlikely that they used linothorax type of armors. Bronze armors are predominant in Oscan art but there are a few pieces around Paestum that displays them with linothorax type of armors:

20562991.jpg

SDC10683.jpg

SDC10695.jpg

An overhaul of the Oscan tribes is in order sometime in the future.

Tomb of the Fabii, Esquiline
"Since its discovery in 1875,
the painting has been the focus
of much debate, but it seems likely
that it belongs to the first half of the
third century BC and depicts episodes
from the Second and Third Samnite Wars
of 326-304 and 298-290 BC
(F. Coarelli in Roma Medio Repubblicana
[Rome 1973], 200-20:cool:."

5337bf30efb91a6c10b8c420f7438ebd.jpg

Also, what do you have planned for the Samnite settlements? I couldn't find any good pictures of their hill forts, only descriptions of how they looked.

They chose highly defensible positions, some higher than 1,200 meters (4,000 feet) above sea level. They designed the forts to take advantage of natural defenses, with one, two or three walls formed by the hillside, and built remaining walls of huge blocks of hewn stone, stacked without mortar (called "polygonal"). Monte Vairano (14 km north of Bojano), already a large Samnite settlement by the fourth century B.C., was one of the largest hill-forts. Three kilometers (1.8 miles) of stone walls, spotted by three gates and a series of towers, enclosed the buildings and streets leading to the center.

Layout of Monte Vairano (Modern)
vairanoplan.png

As for their sanctuaries, they seemed to be placed both within their settlements and the countryside.

Samnites used temples and sanctuaries as places of worship and “comitium,” a sort of town hall for meetings. (The theater at Pietrabbondante is believed to have served as a comitium). Like the sites for the hill forts, the Samnites built temples and sanctuaries on high ground with panoramic views. They placed religious buildings higher than surrounding civic buildings, often using stone podiums to elevate the structures.

Here is a reconstruction of one.
illustration-representing-reconstruction-of-sanctuary-at-isernia-illustration-id82126333

Ivan Gil. The Battle of Heracleia, 280 bc

"Некий самнит по имени Оплак, из племени френтанов, сражавшийся в римской коннице,
сумел поразить метательным копьем скакуна Пирра. Правда, тут же царский телохранитель
македонянин Леоннат ранил коня френтана. Приближенные помогли Пирру подняться и увели
его в тыл, а на Оплака напало сразу несколько эпиротов, и тот был убит.

translation?:

A certain Samnite named Oplak, of the tribe of the Frentans, who fought in the Roman cavalry,
managed to strike the mount Pierre with a throwing spear. True, immediately the king's bodyguard
Macedonian Leononnat wounded the horse frentana. Approached helped Pirru to rise and took him to the rear,
and on Oplak attacked several epiros at once, and he was killed.
"

imperial1515715517_077-05_ivan_gil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom