Gothic Knight

Marquis
M&BWB
Best answers
Ej777 said:
DarthTaco said:
Yes Ej, yes it is.
ANYHOW....

Back on topic, did Egypt retain any sence of it's past military heritage what so ever?
After being conquered by Persia, then Macedonia, then being settled by Greeks and Hellenistic Peoples? I doubt it:smile:.

Stevon

Knight at Arms
Best answers
Yeah, Macedonians formed the upper/military class in Ptolemaic Egypt, so most of their military was virtually identical to the other Diadochi states.

That said, they did employ native Egyptians to some extent as auxiliaries (mainly as skirmishers and arches) and occasionally trained them as phalangites when manpower was sorely needed, such as at the Battle of Raphia (217 BC) where native Egyptians (Machimoi) formed a large part of the Ptolemaic phalanx.

However, for the most part, the Ptolemies relied on Macedonian settlers and Greek and other mercenaries for their military needs.

Speaking of which, might I suggest Galatian mercenaries for Ptolemaic Egypt?

I think they would be fairly easy to implement as well, since their equipment would be comparable to your typical Gallic warrior. :wink:

romandude

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
hmm, i wouldnt rely on the accuracy of the paintings though. they were clearly painted after the era (likely the rennaisance)

Stevon

Knight at Arms
Best answers
Those aren't paintings though, they're ancient (i.e. fairly contemporary) mosaics. :wink:

kjs

Regular
WF&S
Best answers
Seriously? So, nothing else apart from chariots and war cries?
Ptolemaic egypt did make use of native troops they where called Machimoi.

and ofcourse kings of the ptolemaic empire liked to dress up like faroa's evry once in a while :p

Slytacular

Sergeant Knight
Best answers
I play a game called 0 A.D. (a free RTS game). The Ptolemics are the next faction in the process of development. Here is a thread of discussion containing references:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16960

matmohair1

Marquis
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers

Ptolemaic 275 BC-40 BC

Plates

The Art of Death in Graeco‐Roman Egypt

Yemen Archaeology

Elephant Helmets

Native infantry  :arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machimoi

Hellenistic soldiers circa 100 BCE, Ptolemaic Kingdom, Egypt. Detail of the Nile mosaic of Palestrina.

Total War concept art

Yulemus

I don't have any images, but I do know a thing about the structure of the Ptolmaic army, focusing on short speared Hoplites, rather than the pike based Macedonians.

Dan11311

Sergeant
WF&S
Best answers
Yulemus said:
I don't have any images, but I do know a thing about the structure of the Ptolmaic army, focusing on short speared Hoplites, rather than the pike based Macedonians.
A great deal of the Ptolemaic army was armed in the Macedonian fashion. A large portion fought in a Macedonian phalanx with small shields and long pikes. Now the Ptolemies did employ large numbers of mercenaries as well.

matmohair1

Marquis
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
could be, here's more on southern troops...

Egyptian mariner and Ethiopian warrior

interesting illustration of a Late Nubian archer
with similar warpaint...

Note: I seem to have lost most of the previous
illustrations uploaded via Image-shack, so I re-uploaded
them and updated all of the above with more references!

YourStepDad

Baron
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
I laughed my ass off at the first one. Mildly grinned at the sight of the second one, then laughed my ass off again on closer inspection. :lol: