[research] etruscans

Users who are viewing this thread

we also need help with etruscans
so if you know something about thems then help us do an historical faction with yours knowledge

so some references i already have

thanks to matmohair1

matmohair1 said:
:idea:

ZVE208010.jpg

155-2.jpg

etruscan_securigeri.jpg

PIC_1712.jpg

240b04bdc9.jpg

acd072b9706e.jpg

etruscan_hop.jpg

1147_face.jpg
1148_face.jpg

etruscanroman.jpg

d192c5093acd.jpg

39741a092712.jpg

a70a3a69ca.jpg

ee7b4501f3.jpg

1149_face.jpg
1150_face.jpg
1151_face.jpg

etruscan6.jpg

etruscan5.jpg

etrusci.jpg

88d55f42e704.jpg

1078db1e6e.jpg

img049.jpg

img050.jpg

img051.jpg

img052.jpg

img053.jpg

img054.jpg

img055.jpg

f82e252245.jpg

d92c6b65418d.jpg

9fb13984866e.jpg

4069d76403d9.jpg

3e939317fa50.jpg

686d6f8a90.jpg

etruscan1.jpg

2660a945e82d.jpg

ca08a9866b.jpg

etruscan2.jpg

d22e309141.jpg

001sjx.jpg

greavecomposit.jpg
Shield_Etruscan.jpg

Oh this one is a bit dead. Shame, I rather like Etruscans. I do have a small booklet on them, but I don't think it's got anything worthwile for this thread, really.

Also, though,

rgcotl said:
we also need help with etruscans
so if you know something about thems then help us do an historical faction with yours knowledge

so some references i already have

thanks to matmohair1

matmohair1 said:

The more cohesive army on the right shows a distinct tiering; the most heavily armoured at at the front. You probably noticed that they are using aspis-shields in the front rank, but everyone after seems to have what looks more like a scutum. As far as I'm aware this is mostly just a fashion thing; many Italics especially of the higher classes, looked in awe towards Greek cultures and traditions and as such might have foregone armament more typical to their region in favour of looking Greek. This means Greek-styled helmets (again, compare R1 with R2 in this picture) and cuirasses rather than the disc-plates. :smile:

well, im sorry i have found this too late maybe, but i sure could be of help, i am italian, i have my house full with books on the Etruscan People and already a vaste personale knowledge

Well, so at the time the Etruria (their land) was reduced to the current region of Tuscany (one of the most beautiful regions of italy), because of the gaul invasion in northern italy of 4th century b.c (at which survived just liguria and veneto), they lost all of their commercial cities in the Po Valley such as Spina (where they had the first contact with greek culture on the adriatic sea) and Felsina (the modern-day Bologna, city where i live), and it had a great repercussion on their economy, and at south they have lost their commercial stronghold of Cuma, taken by the greeks of Syracusae.
And in the sea that still bear their name, the Thyrrenian, once entirely controlled by them arrived the strong competition of the Poeni (Carthaginians), so, as if they always been in the previous centuries a commercial empire, losing control on both seas has significantly started their decadence.
Rome too already attacked and beated them in the battle of lake Vadimo (309 a.c), taking advantage of the fact the Etruscans were just the shadow of their glorious power.
So, as i say they always endorsed commerce (using barter more than money) instead of military power (they never really occupied or subjugated any other italic culture), they were a peaceful people, with strong traditions and much superstitious on their beliefs, but even ingenious, they created the first  architectural arch and the gladiators games, so you see how much rome owe to them :wink:
So this was the situtation at the time and a bit of their order, ask anything else you want to know about, weapons, equipments, etc.
This is a drawing i have made of how their hoplite should have appeared:
http://b4ld3r.deviantart.com/art/Etruscan-hoplite-268336281
(in a certain moment of history they also used as second weapon (first was the lance) a double sided axe)
Even if they had a strong equestrian tradition, and used much chariots, even for their general guard 

Pictures of Etruscan soldiers you hopefully havent seen yet.
Can you even see these pictures? for me it doesnt work. (worked earlier today for some reason)

a30c9b235865528
9ade4a233206957
00de5c230646089
myt9u2w4t
4544ca235965193
91e773230646055
5f5f5c230646080
21b85597d0

Holmgaardviking said:
Pictures of Etruscan soldiers you hopefully havent seen yet.
Can you even see these pictures? for me it doesnt work. (worked earlier today for some reason)
001.jpg

%3F%3F%3F%2003.jpg

006.jpg

Gli_speciali_di_Focus_Storia_ROMA_Spring_2010.jpg

005.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

21b85597d0.jpg
Allright, there you go.

im amazed  :shock: you know, because in each book they speak a few about their army, since they were mostly merchants, aniway remember their general was always on chariots, his guard beared the symbol of his power, the fasces lictores, lately adopted by romans, and alas, by the fascists of Mussolini

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Roman_Lictor_Clothes.png

Well, those illustrations are all correct, reporting to this image taken by a book showing some various equipments, in the top left box the items shown date back to the villanovan age, the bronze age, dawn of the etruscan civilization, 700 b.c circa

Hey guys, just looking around here and i see this pic posted...

Gli_speciali_di_Focus_Storia_ROMA_Spring_2010.jpg

It is written in italian, so i can translate for you if you want.  :mrgreen:

Soldier on left:

AGE OF KINGS (VII - VI century B. C.)

"Through 1000 yers of history, roman soldier changed several time his equipment, acquiring from its different enemies the weapons they thought more efficient. During monarchy, for example, they copied from etruscans the bronze helm and pectoral.
The big round shield (made of bronze too) and the spear are both evidence of the use of greek holpite tactic [... ].
The short tunic (chiton) was often padded with pressed wool. At the foot, leather boots."

If you want i can translate for you also the roman soldier on the right.  :mrgreen:

Thanks but I do understand written Italian to an extent, it's easy to understand when you talk the other latin languages.
Second image talks about the Roman Legionary, telling about the mail coat and helmet that is from gallic origins ideal for close quarter combat, the substitution of the short Etruscan sword by a spanish one, the introduction of a new javelin, the pilum. It says also that the scutum had a leather reinforcement and that the greeve/boots had a padding for military campaigns in cold region, if I'm not mistaken.

Ok, i was just trying to help.  :roll:

However: the "ghette" it is not properly a shield reinforcement of leather but something more like a bag to transport and protect it when it is not used in battle.  :wink:

If i can help you just contact me.  :mrgreen:

Rome was at first ruled by Etruscan kings. The Romans rovelted and kicked the kings out and formed a republic in 509 b.c. The Romans decisively defeated the etruscans in 268 b.c - putting an end to the etruscans. They didn't leave written records so all we know comes from Roman sources.

the marvelous painting of François Tomb, Necropolis of Tarquinia. The fourth century B.C. ca:
c2abachille-immola-i-12-prigionieri-troiani-in-onore-di-patrocloc2bb-parete-sinistra-dalla-tomba-franc3a7ois-iv-secolo-a-c.jpg
ricostruzione-pittorica-xix-secolo-dalloriginale-della-tomba-tomba-franc3a7ois-vulci.jpg

Slab of clay pottery, depicting a hoplite cerite, from Cerveteri. National Archaeological Museum of Cerveteri.
lastra-fittile-di-rivestimento-raffigura-un-oplita-etrusco-terracotta-da-cerveteri-843x534x28-cm-museo-archeologico-nazionale-cerite-cerveteri.jpg

the famous pointy shoes in a fresco in Cerveteri, Musée du Louvre, Paris, VI cent. A.C:
lastra-raffigurante-due-uomini-seduti-pietra-da-cerveteri-necropoli-della-banditaccia-metc3a0-del-iv-secolo-a-c-musc3a9e-du-louvre-parigi.jpg

Reconstruction of the Temple of the Shrine Altar of the Queen, dedicated to the worship of Artume and Aplu, Tarquinia
ricostruzione-del-tempio-dal-santuario-dellara-della-regina-tarquinia.jpg

Floor plan of the old city area of Caere (Cerveteri).
planimetria-dellantica-area-urbana-di-caere-cerveteri.jpg

Plan of the Temple of Jupiter in Rome. Roman art was srongly influenced by Etruscans:
planimetria-del-tempio-di-giove-capitolino-a-roma.png
ricostruzione-del-tempio-di-giove-capitolino-a-roma.jpg

Gable (fragment) showing an episode of the saga of the "Seven against Thebes" from 'A Temple' Pyrgi (Etruria). The fifth century B.C. Museum of Villa Giulia in Rome.
frontone-frammento-che-illustra-un-episodio-della-saga-dei-c2absette-contro-tebec2bb-dal-e28098tempio-a_-di-pyrgi-etruria-v-secolo-a.jpg
floor plan
planimetria-del-tempio-a-di-pyrgi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom