[research] Celtic Tribes

Users who are viewing this thread

Unfortunate double post. Is padded wool (well, I believe that's what it is from looking at the refs) an option for the medium armour?

Germanic Celt said:
Unfortunate double post. Is padded wool (well, I believe that's what it is from looking at the refs) an option for the medium armour?

Use the edit button to avoid double posts. Though with one day between the two it's not the worst crime ever :wink:

KickingJoub said:
Germanic Celt said:

Use the edit button to avoid double posts. Though with one day between the two it's not the worst crime ever :wink:

Yeah, I thought of doing that, but I was unsure if it'd appear as a notification.

it dont apears as notifications but ppl still can see it if they browsing topics
but you can cheat and delete your previous post to evade double posts

rgcotl said:
it dont apears as notifications but ppl still can see it if they browsing topics
but you can cheat and delete your previous post to evade double posts

Thanks, I'll try that next time the double-post police come interrogate me  :lol:

For the one leather armour piece:
U8ni6.jpg
You'll notice the part surrounding the abdomen looks more like some sort of quilted linen (?) than leather. Anyway, the mod Divide et Impera (which AFAIK is quite accurate, it's mostly based off of Europa Barbarorum) portrays it like this (the cheerful man to the right):
FVnyG.jpg

Anyway, RGCotl mentions the Celtic cardiophylax.
LGmJs.jpg
From none other than matmohair shows a Celt wearing cardiophylax (the one on the horse) and it's supposed to be based around the time of the raids on Greece by Brennos (early 3rd century).

rgcotl said:
that armor probably are padded style at least in the abadonment place
and cardio armor you pointed out was the one i mention once

well we have some refs with cardio
but again it is ~5century BC reference
Yes...but that particular reference was from ca. 300 BC. Although it still seems unlikely cardio would be common with the more Celtic tribes, it was more likely common with the Raeti tribe it seems. Ah, that makes sense, both the shoulder guard area and the abdomen protection look like padded armour. Speaking of padded armour, from what it seems it was probably fairly common as a Celtic armour, maybe as common as Linothorax was to the greeks.
6PoCk.jpg
The person to the left is wearing padded wool (?). Although this reference is from an earlier time (very early La Tene, this isn't a new picture to you, I'd imagine), Polybius mentions the Celts were well protected by their jackets (can't remember what date). It'd probably be a padded wool jacket or a felt jacket. Anyway, this 'jacket' seems to be common in the earlier posted references.

Edit: In fact that reference that has the cardiophylax shows a warrior wearing this 'jacket'. Although I'm not sure if that is armour or just clothing that is over their regular attire (?).

2nd Edit:
3UrYw.jpg
Another example from matmohair1's countless images, looks like it's from the 2nd-1st century BC.

The Raeti seem to have different origins maybe Etruscan, Illyrian, some Italian tribe or maybe even indigenous people that occupied that area enough time to form their own language and maybe culture so that might lead to a different appearance from their neighbors but that's just hypothetical if we ever get to that I'd do a better in depth research on the subject.
The first reference is clearly Hallstatt or very early La Tène which had some rather curious crafts  and I wouldn't account much on them being valid in our timeframe, the second reference seems to be more adequate. Time will tell.

That would make sense, from what I've seen small bronze chestplates are quite common among Italic people. Anyway, I re-looked at the references and I'm gonna point out two more:
Uoi6y.jpg
Says it's from the 1st century BC. Not too sure as to why the guy in the middle has an apulo-corinthian helmet, but anyway it's his chestpiece I want to point out. I'm not sure if that's considered as armor, but it certainly looks more protective than regular clothing.
lh7TI.jpg
This one is very similar to the reference I pointed out in the earlier post. It's also from the mid-late La Tene period.

Some images from the Teuta Senones Pisaurenses  re-enactors http://www.pisaurus.it/2015/pisaurum-dei-celti/
390466_10151178331229686_1987962998_n.jpg

^^this man is dressed as the noble for a small village. According to them, that armor is based on something called the Filottrano baking tray although I may have read wrong.
952b8969838194b05e803d6dbc464a65.jpg
1044166_10151717511609686_1485082420_n.jpg

(^^this image shows an open apulo-corinthian helmet, I'm not sure how accurate that it, but I'm sure you'll know)
ciao-672x372.jpg

1947588_10153203506884686_4048622213328510356_n.jpg

Livy emphasises the difference  between Gaul and Roman thus; "one was remarkable for his stature, resplendent in multi‐coloured 
clothing and painted armour inlaid with gold; the other had a moderate physique for a soldier, and 
was nothing special to look at, with armour that was suitable rather than  ornate. He did not sing out 
war‐cries, or dance about with useless  brandishing of weapons, but his breast swelled with courage 
and silent anger; all his ferocity was held back for the critical moment of the duel."
I found this as a quote on the Total War forums, I've never read anything of Livy's physically so I don't know if he actually said that.

matmohair1, sorry to ask but do you perhaps have an image showing the strength of the Arverni tribe in 300BC (both for the mod I'd imagine and for personal interest)?

Some stuff regarding Celtic medium armour and suggestions for their future appearance (again):

Arrian describes the Celts in a particular training exercise:
"Instead of breastplates they wear tunics made just like real breastplates, sometimes scarlet, sometimes purple, sometimes multi-coloured..."
That's a small part from his description, anyway. I noticed that these 'tunic breastplates' were made in Rome II as armour for Standard bearers. In mods such as Divide et Impera or Haegemonia, however, they are shown as much more common among troops who can't afford anything better (like leather or even chainmail). This possibly corresponds to Polybius describing the Boii and Insubrian warriors as 'well protected by their tunics/cloaks/jackets/vests" (unfortunately the translation varies). It was speculated in both Kelticos and Roman army talk (two forums, their names suggest quite a bit on what they're about) as to what these 'jackets' were made of. I've mentioned this before so I'm not gonna post it again. Another noteworthy point from this sentence is that he describes these 'breastplates' as colourful. Haegemonia seems to have gotten that right anyway (that mod is really colourful).
Anyway the suggestion I'm making is that the Celts be made very colourful, although I doubt something similar wasn't in your plans anyway.

3 posts in a row? Anyway:

Some more stuff from the Teuta Senones re-enactors. They seem to be pretty accurate:
image.JPG
image.JPG
image.JPG
image.JPG
image.JPG
image.JPG
10734028_715195195195695_1710312109535647787_n.jpg

And some other stuff, a few of these might have been posted already, but whatever:
e642a4848a7600ef7b56f4d68db1b327.jpg
From Les Leuki re-enactors.
36395eba972c6d31ffdc29a1cc2f8763.jpg
picts1.jpg
13.shtml
(Alauni re-enactors, that leather armour on the right looks dodgy).
95f215ccf37bc72414ed5d77b512b4c3.jpg
781c3a01504a193c9dd77fa57393e674.jpg
(Leuki youth re-enactor).
the_celts_by_nachiii-d6xcawv.png
ef53a01f194f48c8ad540a92645f3d43.jpg

Edit: Some more:
vaevictis1-29.jpg
5b19e5e75cdcdb5649461b3a166f4f1d.jpg
vaevictis1.4.jpg
10612895_715075968540951_7067183613894472948_n.jpg

Found this:
http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius/article/download/13/14
It's about the armor and arms of Celts. It's in all French so I can't read it. In any case, unless you've read this before it should be helpful in some way.

I'm curious to know if the current unit names for the Celts are accurate. AFAIK those were the names used in EB 1 as well, but apparently the ones in EB 2 (Neitos to Drutonedammoi, Bataroas and Botroas to Bataroi, Solduros to Solduroi, Arjos to Argoi etc.) were more accurate. Do you plan to change the current names (that is unless they are currently fine)?

Back
Top Bottom