SP - General Request to TaleWorlds about Scene edit data

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello! Scene/Map creation in Bannerlord have many quality of life improvements in comparison with one in Warband. Its really interesting and fun in the same time. But overall, map creation in Bannerlord takes more time, why you would ask? Becausde Engine and graphics was changed, so there is more details overall. Many details need to be added to have quality content for mods. Terrain system in campaign, also demands big numbers of battle terrains to make game interesting, with variety of battle situations. this creates additional pressure on modding teams. Which need to create hundreds of scenes for own mods, this means, that small modding teams would not succeed, and main reason is map demand, which is huge. At the moment, modders able to modify only very few of native scenes.

How to make this situation a bit better? Answer is - to relese scene edit data for all scenes (especially battle terrains) so modding teams would modify this scenes for needs of own mods. Current battle terrains are good, but unusable for many historical mods. Why, because most of this scenes are located in some sort of wilderness, where battles rarely happened.
It would speed up creation of many mods.

Thanks in advance!

Ignoring cut scenes, arenas, meetings, internal scenes etc. version 1.8.0 has 50 City/town scenes, 21 Castle scenes, 96 village scenes, 8 hideout scenes and 86 battle scenes. Of these we have SceneEditData for 1 town, 1 Castle, 4 villages, 2 hideouts and 1 battle scene. The SceneEditData for those 9 example scenes take up 359Mb. Bearing in mind that this is a small sample and individual scenes vary in size, by my calculations the missing SceneEditData files would require something like 11.9Gb.

Accordingly, I fully understand TW's reluctance to add this to the Tools download times for disinterested parties. However, it would be great if these could be made available as a separate download for those of us who want them.

Alternatively, the game doesn't use terrain_ed.bin files, so I assume the X,Y,Z coordinates of each terrain mesh vertex are held as a list of numbers in terrain.bin similar to Warband's old Map.txt files. If so, it would be helpful if the editor included a utility that could save a scene's heightmap from the terrain.bin data (as opposed to its terrain_ed.bin file), allowing modders to remove terrain from a Native scene and then recreate it (and a terrain_ed.bin file) from that heightmap. A similar utility to allow us to regenerate layer material maps would also be helpful.

Yeah, most of me teaching myself how to use the editor when the game came out was by looking at base game scenes to see what the devs did, so having access to more of the scenes terrain would make it a lot easier to pick apart what devs were doing. For battle scenes its not as big of a deal, but for more detailed scenes like cities having to use the navmesh as an indicator of where the terrain is supposed to be is very annoying.
Even if we cant get all the scenes SED (like NPC mentioned, the filesize might be an issue), I think a good start would just to have more scene's SED, especially smaller scenes like arenas and hideouts (especially hideouts considering the contest).

Any updates on this? Do we know if there are any plans for Scene Data to ever be released? As others mentioned, it helps speeding up modding content/learning which then creates more mods faster and grows the community which translates to more sales from people bringing friends/family into amazing mods, especially people not interested in the base game but might want to try some online play.

Back
Top Bottom