Request - Make D'shar Djaha Archers trainable from D'shar Dervishes

Users who are viewing this thread

ZComet

Recruit
Hi. I love the D'shar army roster and all. Nice faction with strong infantry with the ability to train good-enough cavalry without having to rely on noble recruits. But in sieges they tend to fare very poorly for the prime reason being their archers suck.

Yes I get it their top-tier archers the Mounted Dervises also come with horses and also double as medium cavalry as well...but their true role in delivering damage from afar leaves much to be desired. I mean yeah Fierdsvain archers suck too but at least they are also heavy infantry at their highest upgrade so they would still be useful in sieges...

In the meantime I see Dshar lords spawning with Djaha archers which are exactly the niche unit to fill in the D'shar army's current weakness as of now so I thought why not?

They have strong ranged capability it wont be OP to have the player be able to train them since they are weak in melee and have low armor. Just add them as an alternate branch from Devishes so the player could choose between upgrading their medium archers to medium horse archers...or to highly specialized archers strong at range but little else.

Perhaps this could be done in the next patch. Though I probably can mod this myself if I could (but I donno how...)

It's actually very easy to do this!
(firstly - there is actually a thread for requests/suggestions, and people are more inclined to respond there. There's another for quick questions!)

Download Morgh's Tools to edit the troops for future games. If you don't like using tools, you can simply open  "troops.txt", find the line for D'Share Dervishes, and the last two numbers (in blue and green) on that line correspond to the two troop IDs that they will upgrade to. 0 means no upgrade. 99 would correspond to whatever troop (I don't know them offhand, sorry). The following is from the old version of PoP:
troops.txt said:
trp_dshar_dervish D'Shar_Dervish D'Shar_Dervishes 0 108003328 0 0 3 99 0

Or, if you have already started a game, you can actually use a savegame editor. It's pretty easy.

We refer to this as "meddling with the occult". Don't let Noosers find out!

Well replacing the line with 'trp_dshar_dervish D'Shar_Dervish D'Shar_Dervishes 0 108003328 0 0 3 103 108' did it for me. Thanks for the help mate.  :mrgreen:

In the future, using Morgh's Editor to do things like this is almost always a better idea, simply because it handles all of the tiny details like syntax that are so easy to mess up (and it automatically creates backups). Plus, of course, the GUI system that explains and contextualizes all the numbers makes it much easier to understand how things work.

While I'd love to have somewhat effective archers as a D'shar, there's the balance problem. With this and the newest buff to Ravenstern, all factions but Fierdswain would have good ranged options, and while their Hurcarls are the toughest mofos out there, it probably wouldn't be enough to justify using them at all.

Raviollius said:
While I'd love to have somewhat effective archers as a D'shar, there's the balance problem. With this and the newest buff to Ravenstern, all factions but Fierdswain would have good ranged options, and while their Hurcarls are the toughest mofos out there, it probably wouldn't be enough to justify using them at all.
Using as in, purposely not using other troops?

It's a cheating actually (I don't mind what you're doing with your own game and experience) since these archers are one of the best in the game - that's why they're only fielded by one lord. They're not weak in melee at all, just lightly armored but have shields, long sabres and high melee skills.

Alavaria said:
Using as in, purposely not using other troops?

As in, using their culture/joining their faction. Ravenstern used to not have good infantry/cav and rely on their archers - then they got Highlanders, since they never ever became a threat in 3.611. The D'shar are similar, in that they do not have heavy cav or good archers, depending on their infantry to do the lion's share of the work. Give them archers that good as normal units and the Fierdswain become officially the weakest faction, without archers or cavalry, and infantry only slighly better than the Empire's/ competitive with the D'shar's.

Hmm, I guess when I choose the culturetype to use, I'm mostly thinking of their infantry, since I tend not to lose too many archers and I get cavalry from other places than village-recruit-train.

The improved pendor tree (a high shield infantry option) makes me consider that a lot more. Also I guess their nobles might be useful as Pendor Black Archers...

Sigh now that I think about it, I really held back a lot on my last 3.6 playthrough even though I wanted to beat up the AI...

Back
Top Bottom