Request for Taleworlds to sell M&B IP to a competent developer

Should Taleworlds sell the M&B IP to a competent developer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewVader

Sergeant
I haven't posted in a year or so, still can't believe how boring and shallow the game is. Still can't believe we don't have an immersive sandbox after years in EA with tons of meaningful and substantive feedback and created mods. Its kinda crazy when you think about how bad the game is vs how passionate the community is... but I digress.

Taleworlds, its obviously you don't care. Just do the community one favor. Sell M&B to a developer who actually cares about making a immersive and interesting sandbox experience.

You've poisoned the well now. Nobody is going to buy anything from you ever again after this abject failure to deliver. Its really best for you and for us.

Thanks

I understand the frustrations with Taleworlds but this is never going to happen. Taleworlds wouldn't do it and no developer would buy an IP when a majority of sales have gone to Taleworlds. People need to accept that what we've got is what we're going to get and either move on or wait for modding to make the game they want.

Sell M&B to a developer who actually cares about making a immersive and interesting sandbox experience.
Are there any such developers? Do any other games fit that description and have anything like the scope/potential of M&B? Who could afford to buy M&B apart from major companies who would probably produce far less modifiable games?

I understand the frustrations with Taleworlds but this is never going to happen. Taleworlds wouldn't do it and no developer would buy an IP when a majority of sales have gone to Taleworlds. People need to accept that what we've got is what we're going to get and either move on or wait for modding to make the game they want.

Yeah you may be right. TW has already squeezed all the money out of the community for Bannerlord.

But I'm thinking of a third game, or DLC. Imagine the community interest in a third or DLC that actually promised to deliver from a company like Paradox, Bethesda or Epic Games (to name a few).

Or maybe to Big companies that want to extend their footprint in the gaming market like Amazon or Microsoft

Are there any such developers? Do any other games fit that description and have anything like the scope/potential of M&B? Who could afford to buy M&B apart from major companies who would probably produce far less modifiable games?

I would take a chance on Microsoft, or Amazon over anything further from TW at this point. Wouldn't you?

I think Paradox would do a good job. Yea their DLC policy is **** but they make pretty good games and this would be right up their alley

Will you name any candidates?

I would even take CCP (the developers of EVE online) over TW at this point. Bannerlord may have been a commercial success, because of the hype and initial thirst from the community. But if people were told the game would be in EA for 2 years and actually CHANGE VERY LITTLE from the initial release, it would likely have been a failure.

TW definitely, intentionally deceived the community. I have no doubt about that.

I think Paradox would do a good job. Yea their DLC policy is **** but they make pretty good games and this would be right up their alley

About that...

Publisher Paradox Interactive today announced that it is parting ways with Mount & Blade developer TaleWorlds Interactive, and has given the popular indie IP back to TaleWorlds. TaleWorlds and Paradox have worked together on the medieval Mount & Blade RPG series since the first installment in 2008. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is currently in the works, although Paradox hinted that it would not be publishing the title a few months ago in a Reddit AMA. Now the company's community manager Bjorn Blomberg has taken to the Paradox forums to reveal that Paradox is "handing over the reins" of the Mount & Blade series back to TaleWorlds, and will not be involved in this next installment. The company did not give an explanation as to why it was parting ways with the developer, nor has TaleWorlds confirmed whether it will be self-publishing this next title or finding a new publisher.

Ontopic: A different developer is never going to happen. This is their game, to do with as they please. And my guess is that they're nowhere near done milking this puppy. After the release of Bannerlord there are gonna be different varieties of games which use their complicated system.
That way they get a max. return on investment with increasingly smaller development periods and (perhaps even more important) a bigger spread in the game industry.
TaleWorlds as a company is, right now, quite fragile. They only have one cashcow. If a follow up fails to deliver in terms of sales (and it very well might happen since Bannerlord was released to early) it is toast. The underlying system, when refined, will have to be used to create a more diverse portfolio to spread risks and accumulate a few rising stars.

@StewVader Let's be honest, while Taleworlds has made some frustrating design choices and progress has been remarkably slow, the truth is the majority of developers and studios out there are pure dog **** :poop:. Period. End of story. -Especially the ones with enough financial clout (i.e. a AAA studio) to even hypothetically afford a buyout of Taleworlds.

So be careful what you wish for. If another developer did get their hands on the M&B IP, they'd probably turn it into some half-assed mobile game. Either that, or another assembly-line copy of the formulaic open-world RPGs which have completely oversaturated the market over the last 5 years. And if you're really lucky, it could get picked up by a studio that wants to send out a "powerful message", and all the quests will have ham-fisted parallels with the modern day social issues in developed Western countries.

FOH kid.

This poll is pointless because TW would never do that.

They know the game is a long-term investment ... and it will bring them a lot more money... (mostly via Bannerlord mods that will be made in the future - prolonging the game's life-span and sales over many, many years)

Mods will extend the life of this game FAR into the future - TW DO know this, of course they do ... so they would never ever sell such a profitable IP. Not in a million years.

Having said that, Bannerlord's development is indeed a complete and utter joke. Everyone knows that.

We know that. The forum moderators (privately) know that ... I suspect even the core Dev Team at Taleworlds know very well that they are on a damage limitation mission at this stage.

It's 11 or 12 years of how NOT to develop a game...

People may well even study Bannerlord's development in the future as like a case-study in how not to do things - if more of the real 'behind-the-scenes' facts ever come out and see the light of day.

(Kind of like how 'No Man's Sky' could easily become a case study in how to rescue a product after a truly terrible launch).

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a year or so, still can't believe how boring and shallow the game is. Still can't believe we don't have an immersive sandbox after years in EA with tons of meaningful and substantive feedback and created mods. Its kinda crazy when you think about how bad the game is vs how passionate the community is... but I digress.

Taleworlds, its obviously you don't care. Just do the community one favor. Sell M&B to a developer who actually cares about making a immersive and interesting sandbox experience.

You've poisoned the well now. Nobody is going to buy anything from you ever again after this abject failure to deliver. Its really best for you and for us.

Thanks
Why are you still here?

Honestly why are any of you still here? if you don't believe in the game - leave already, Why waste your time on something you don't like?

If you want to play AAA studios 5th Survival Shooter; go play that. Stop wasting time and effort.

Why are you still here?

Honestly why are any of you still here? if you don't believe in the game - leave already, Why waste your time on something you don't like?

If you want to play AAA studios 5th Survival Shooter; go play that. Stop wasting time and effort.

I think a lot of people are still here because they know that mods will eventually make Bannerlord into a pretty good game.

I would take a chance on Microsoft, or Amazon over anything further from TW at this point. Wouldn't you?
I don't think any of these huge companies are interested in making the sort of game we want. Their only goal will be to maximise profits, I doubt they'll conclude that the best way to do that is creating the sort of game we want TW to make.

There was once a time when I believed that Bannerlord had the potential to become a big enough hit that it would spawn a bunch of copycat games and maybe even launch a whole new "action-strategy" genre. Then we'd start to see some real competition in this style of game. I don't really see it happening anymore, though

I think the modders can still see the potential to turn what is a bit of a train wreck into something really special.
I'm sorry Steve but that's a ridiculous statement. Modding only does so much - the core game will always be the core game.

95% of the time I spent on Warband was on mods; was Warband a poor game because of it?

No. Mods or not; you still owe TW for the core functionality. Maybe you have issues you think can be improved - but 80% of the functionality you play and enjoy (regardless of modding) will be made by TW.

This is what I find annoying. Modded Bannerlord is still Bannerlord. If you don't enjoy Bannerlord - you wouldn't enjoy modded Bannerlord.

Why are you still here?

Like I said, I haven't been around in a while. Checked the game out again, and was stunned by how little its actually changed from release. You literally do the same exact loop now as you did on day 1 of EA.

So I thought, I bet another developer could do way better than this and made this post, requesting TW sell the IP to competent developers. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

The question is, why are you here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom