Request: Falchions

Users who are viewing this thread

Fenix_120

Sergeant
I here by request that Falchions be added to the game.

Historically you were far more likely to encounter a Falchion in medieval European armies than an arming sword as Falchions were 1: far cheaper and 2: training to fight with one was faster, for these reasons they were generally associated with the lower classes (although men-at-arms did use them often) so maybe they could be an infantry and/or a brigand only weapon, I feel that including these weapons would add alot to the immersion factor of the mod and gives the player more diversity.

Thanks Laszlo for the excellent mod and keep up the good work.

Oh, interesting. I had no idea they were a common low-end sword.

I remember seeing a few falchion models and hating them. So first I'd have to find a model I like.

I'll go read up on them. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks  :grin:

http://www.answers.com/topic/falchion

Its a wiki but its better than nothing.

Also if you could find a person to make it these were also very common through out the HRE

http://www.answers.com/topic/gro-es-messer

And even though they are considered old-fashioned by medieval standards some people 'might' have still been using

http://www.answers.com/topic/seax

Usually it comes out of the german and is called
"Langes Messer"
It was common in the 12 JH. in Medieval-Europe and the common weapon of any Infantry these times.
Arround 80 centimetres long it was the perfect weapon for close-combat.
The name "Langes Messer" could ((in english)) be:
Long Knife, Long Dagger.
It was sharp one on side but ofen NOT curved.

This atleast is the more..well..common weapon as I know it.

Edit: Im searching some videos of it now

They were more common weapons, but mainly civilian. Professional and semi-professional soldiers preferred swords, as they were more effective in real combat. Data from history book "XVc enlisted infantry in Poland" (my title translation) - but I don't know if two centuries earlier it was the same...

CalenLoki said:
They were more common weapons, but mainly civilian. Professional and semi-professional soldiers preferred swords, as they were more effective in real combat. Data from history book "XVc enlisted infantry in Poland" (my title translation) - but I don't know if two centuries earlier it was the same...

I will argue three things.

1: even if they were only used by civilians(which they were most certainly not!), most armies included a large amount of peasant levies and contrary to popular belief they were not always armed with pitchforks and clubs, some were trained and equipped very well.

Their is also a civilian class in the mod...

2: They were not used just by peasants, their are paintings from the era which depict high ranking soldiers that are using  falchion's, and many Sergeants and archers used them as back up weapons for their spears or bows/crossbows due to the compactness of the Falchion compared to the arming blade(yes they would have just as likely carried an ax, and yes some of the better off Sergeants did use arming swords but thats beside the point)

Yes the knightly class did seem prefer the arming blade as a general rule, probably because it was longer and Knights were cavalry at heart, but I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the ax was even more favorable to the arming blade due to the fact that a man-at-arms(Be it Sergeant or Knight) was far more likely to fight toe-to-toe with an armored opponent than other soldier types.

3: A falchion was an extremely effective weapon, it was not handled like a scimitar or saber at all as these blades are thinner and longer by about a foot and require a lot of finesse to use correctly, much as an arming blade requires a lot of finesse to use, but it has more in common with an ax or a cutlass in that it is a chopping or cleaving weapon rather than a cutting weapon, and Falchions were still being used when the arming sword had been surpassed by the two handed sword, hand and a half "Long swords" and side and back swords (Although later Falchions were made longer and thinner they were still not as long and thin as a saber and still used in an ax-like way)

Falchion.jpg

Someone could make a model similar to that falchion although it is a fantasy one, the model is from the MMORPG Guild Wars.

Or like this:

falchion.jpg

I don't really think you're going to get an amazing model for a falchion because overall I think they are rather boring blades and generally a civilian/peasant weapon wouldn't be "fancy".

Back
Top Bottom