Republic of Marina?

Users who are viewing this thread

In the description of Republic of Marina it says that closest equivalent would be Greek cities had they survived and been united, i honestly don't know what prompted this comparison, Republic of Marina was clearly inspired by Renaissance Italian city states, everything from names of the troops, to tactics, to style of government resembles Renaissance Italy, i honestly don't see any connection at all with greek city states other then the fact that Athens was a republic, but even so Athens was an exception to the rule, and even Athens did not use primarily mercenary force like Marinians do, Florence and other Italian city states did however, i may be wrong about this but if we put them side by side Renaissance Italy corresponds with Marina about 80%, while ancient Greece corresponds at best about 30%, so i would say it's a stretch to compare the two.

Yeah a lot of the description content is way out of date, we have a lot of unpublished stuff that we were working on... gosh a couple of years ago now... it really has been that long!

But yeah what you are saying is basically accurate as to the actual descriptions that will come up.

They are in essence a naval trader empire, most closely ressembling the Italian City states. Their elite unit being the biggest give away.

The Rhodoks were more like the greeks.

There is also a bit of the english mixed in as well, from the bill hook/halbard infantry.

The basic genesis story of the Marinian Republic is that they have excellent farmland for staple crops, grains and such, along with good lumber sources. This left them in a very unique position during a particularly vicious famine that struck the Calradia continent and allowed them to leverage their food crops at a price far in excess of what they were normally worth, and their fledgling navy allowed them to reach many markets, allowing them to maintain prices and absorb much of the wealth of all the surrounding empires for the length of the famine.

This wealth was then used to position themselves with the most powerful and effective navy on the continent and secure themselves a merchant monopoly, these naval routes were more secure, faster and allowed a greater movement of product than an equivalent land route, as well as having a powerful enough navy to muscle out any significant competitor.

This dominance of trade allows Marina to maintain a level of wealth far in excess of what it can produce as a nation from it's wood and crop industries. Marina makes it's money in the movement of goods between empires rather than the production of the goods themselves.

The Marine component of their military specilises in ship to ship combat allowing them to maintain their naval trade monopoly, so the other major powers have simply accepted that doing business through Marina is the best way to secure decent profit and trade lines.

The professional Mercenary model of their Marines means that they can maintain an army far larger than what their population would suggest as they can hire from anywhere on the continent, not just their own population, although the pay and perks of the career path make it an attractive occupation for anyone capable enough.

Marina is actually my personal favourite faction. 

LibSpit said:
There is also a bit of the english mixed in as well, from the bill hook/halbard infantry.

The basic genesis story of the Marinian Republic is that they have excellent farmland for staple crops, grains and such, along with good lumber sources. This left them in a very unique position during a particularly vicious famine that struck the Calradia continent and allowed them to leverage their food crops at a price far in excess of what they were normally worth, and their fledgling navy allowed them to reach many markets, allowing them to maintain prices and absorb much of the wealth of all the surrounding empires for the length of the famine.

This wealth was then used to position themselves with the most powerful and effective navy on the continent and secure themselves a merchant monopoly, these naval routes were more secure, faster and allowed a greater movement of product than an equivalent land route, as well as having a powerful enough navy to muscle out any significant competitor.

This dominance of trade allows Marina to maintain a level of wealth far in excess of what it can produce as a nation from it's wood and crop industries. Marina makes it's money in the movement of goods between empires rather than the production of the goods themselves.

The Marine component of their military specilises in ship to ship combat allowing them to maintain their naval trade monopoly, so the other major powers have simply accepted that doing business through Marina is the best way to secure decent profit and trade lines.

The professional Mercenary model of their Marines means that they can maintain an army far larger than what their population would suggest as they can hire from anywhere on the continent, not just their own population, although the pay and perks of the career path make it an attractive occupation for anyone capable enough.

Marina is actually my personal favourite faction.

Well i never played original SOD but it's kinda weird in Warlords they are in a rather arid part of the map, and i do like their infantry units a lot, but i choose Villanese in my last play trough mainly because of their faith troop, boundless ranger of Villanese faction (that is high chief plus spiritual enlightenment) is fairly decent all rounder, i am not sure but i think they can even spawn with shields, but they have good enough armor to shrug off most missile attacks and very nice bow and arrow skill, and they are also very good in close combat, on the other hand from what i saw Marinian faith troop kind of sucks in comparison, though that may be offset by the armor penetration of crossbows.

In Warlords you are playing in the 'New World' of Panovosa, so it does not necessarily compare to a nations homeland. The current Panovosa map will has been extensively reworked (In the unreleased content), also in the new version the stat positions will be very different.

In Original SOD you do not see the Homelands of the New factions either, you begin the game fleeing from the Imperium as one of the New factions, arriving inthe lands of the Calradia factions.

LibSpit said:
In Warlords you are playing in the 'New World' of Panovosa, so it does not necessarily compare to a nations homeland. The current Panovosa map will has been extensively reworked (In the unreleased content), also in the new version the stat positions will be very different.

In Original SOD you do not see the Homelands of the New factions either, you begin the game fleeing from the Imperium as one of the New factions, arriving inthe lands of the Calradia factions.

Yeah, i know, i like that, i am currently having an RP with Calradia, Panovosa, Perisno(land in Perisno mod) and Pendor (from POP) inRP i see them as different lands in the same world and my character is just traveling between them, did Calradia in original POP have any bigger map?

No, SoDW has one of the biggest playable areas today; actually it was almost too big for the WB engine.  :ohdear: I think the only other mods that are bigger than it may be some of he more historical mods. PoP was making a custom huge landmass but I don't think they ever finished it.

samoja said:
boundless ranger of Villanese faction (that is high chief plus spiritual enlightenment) is fairly decent all rounder, i am not sure but i think they can even spawn with shields, but they have good enough armor to shrug off most missile attacks and very nice bow and arrow skill, and they are also very good in close combat, on the other hand from what i saw Marinian faith troop kind of sucks in comparison, though that may be offset by the armor penetration of crossbows.
Nah, the Marinian ranged units and faith troops are worse than the villanese ones (both pre- and even post-cutting damage bows).

Back
Top Bottom