SP - Battles & Sieges Repost - Idea: More combat animations

Users who are viewing this thread

I would like to see more kill animations and gore. It would add more variation and more immersion to the battles. I also like to see soldiers getting wounds while combat like for example when a onehanded soldier lose his HP under 40%, with one hand he swings his weapon and with the other hand he hold his wound like on the leg or his belly. And the wounded soldiers are slower in combat aswell.

1) to go to 40% of the HP it takes only 1 hit with practically any armor (low armor values).
2) With the current armor system it is also too easy to hit any part of the enemy's body, which makes point 1 even more (no difference between the hurtboxes).
3) once wounded and based on where the wound resides, the enemy should have animations resulting from the wound.
Therefore it is deduced that:
leg => becomes slow to walk and run
arm => reduces damage
shoulder => reduces attack speed
head => your vision becomes blurred periodically
torso => make something up.

All very immersive but there are problems:
A) Slows down combat speed and movement speed too much.
If you get hurt in the legs it's basically like you can't play anymore, as you can only control one character and if you are slow to move, you become really fast to die.
And with the points 1,2,3 it should be clear why it would happen.
B) There are no healing items, which makes point A permanent as soon as it appears.
C) You control only 1 character, so you only have 1 chance.
You're basically implying the condition that:
to be able to play action you literally have to risk that one life you have (very realistic, but if you only control 1 character and you play action games, you basically end up never playing if they knock you down at every battle).

If you could use the companions as secondary characters once the main character has fallen, then you could already discuss it again.
But points 1 and 2, if not solved, would make it very tedious.

Imagine appearing in the field with your army and after a few minutes of positioning and flying arrows, an arrow randomly pecks you in the leg ...
Would you go around the battlefield at 0.1m / s or would you try to commit suicide in order to have a character moving at a reasonable speed?
Because in a game where there is no step-dodge to dodge attacks, if you want to survive, movement speed is pretty much everything.
And if you don't want to survive because you want the fastest character, then it's the basis of the game that falls apart.

In summary: there are a number of factors (1,2,3) that if not resolved would not entice me to accept the introduction of a wound system (which I would appreciate if everything else balanced it).

A half solution would be a button to ask one of the cavalry men to dismount and give you his horse.

The problem also arises that archers would practically become earthed gods, with a wound system that is not balanced by a good armor system.
Imagine the infantry being hit by the archers.
It practically becomes slow to the point that the infantry is unable to reach it.
And with point 1 and 2, this situation is likely to occur very often.
If many now complain about the archers' too much advantage over the infantry, imagine if the infantry were wounded.

I repeat: I would be in favor of the introduction, but only if points 1,2 and 3 are balanced.
Currently not only is this not the case, but what is often proposed in the forum is the only resolution of point 1 (raise the armor value), which however is not only not enough to solve the problems, but it is a further problem if it is not solved point 2 at the same time.
(as we find ourselves with high armor values and very resistant characters in any hurtboxes), with evident problems of balancing between the various archetypes of units.

Back
Top Bottom