SP Medieval Renaissance 2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

I decided to drop by, because I really enjoy this mod, and I should say thank you. This means something, since I enjoy this mod despite not being competent in melee (Sparta/Renaissance are the only mods where I don't have a chance against the AI bots)

Anyway, I don't know if you still develop this mod, or you consider it finished, but I would like to contribute with Hungary related info.

First, names.
Currently it is not clear to me that you want everything in italian, or in the native language (Hungary is a mix from this point of view). To help with this, I checked the characters and locations for you.

Locations
Murska Sobota: it is a slovak name, even though that settlement had german majority in the 1500's. German name is Olsmitz, hungarian name is Muraszombat.
Sisak: german name is Sisseg, hungarian is Sziszek. Name is correct if you want to use the croatian form.
Belgrade (hu: Nándorfehérvár) was taken by the ottomans in 1521.

Hungarian companion: spelling is János Vitéz, or Janos Vitez if you don't have access to central european letters. (this is not the same guy as the lord. One is Vitéz János, the other is János Vitéz)

Lords:
Vladislao II: II. Ulászló (hu), Vladislav Jagiello (uk and also cz spelling)
Ulrico II di Celje: Ulrik Cillei (hu), Ulrich von Cilli (de), Ulrich Celjski (si)
Jiscka di Brandes: this guy has numerous spellings. Jan Jiskra (cz), Ján Jiskra (sk), Johann Jiskra (de), János Giskra (hu). If I remember correclty he was ethic bohemian (not sure, maybe slovak)
János Hunyadi: correct
Ladislao Hunyadi: László or Laszlo
Michele Szilágyi: Mihály or Mihaly
János Csezmicze: János (or Janos) Csezmiczei
Valn di Celje: I didn't find who this is
György Dózsa: an important historical figure, but at this time, he was a soldier. He started to make himself a name in the 1510's as a duelist (defeated numerous ottoman champions). He is probably better suited as a companion than a lord.

Dead folk replacements
The above list has quite some people, who were dead in 1503. I am not sure if you want to represent an ideal, semi-historical Hungary, or a historical one. Or if this even matters? Anyway, you might find some use in list of the dead, and some replacements.
List of dead, and the date of their death: Ulrik de Celje (1456), Jischka di Brandes (1469), János Hunyadi (1456), László Hunyadi (1457), Michele Szilagyi (1460), János Vitéz (1472)
The others are correct.

If you need some historical characters, these guys were alive in 1503. (age and birth date in brackets)
1: János Corvinus. Bastard son of Mathias Corvinus, grandson of János Hunyadi. He was croatian ban at this time. (30 y/o)
2: Krsto Frankopan. (around 30). The only general in service of Hungary, who has experience in leading huge field armies. (mostly from Habsburg mercenary service)
3: István Báthori (the limper). (~20 y/o).
4: Imre Perényi (unknown). Was nádor (comes palatinus, basically the first after the king) from 1504.
6: Ferenc Balassa (?; unkown birthdate). Was ban of Severin until 1494, and ban of croatia 1504-1505. Died at the Battle of Mohács.
7: Petar Berislavic. (~25, birth date 1475 or so) In hungarian he is called Beriszló Péter, but he was croatian. Was ban of Croatia from 1512, and also bishop of Veszprem from 1511.
8: János Drágffy. (~20-30). Was the protector of the royal banner at the battle of Mohács, where he died.
9: Nikola Zrinski. (relatively young, 15 or so in 1501, but very important later)

I also checked the troops.

Ottos: turks didn't use pikeman at all. Janissary pikes should be re-equipped with halberds. (I can understand the need for gameplay reasons)

Croatian AOR: hm. Again, croatians were not famous for their pike formations, but I understand that you might want to give a pike to Hungary for balance reasons. If this is the case, rename to croatian pikeman to landsknecht (Hungary used mostly german, italian and walloon mercenary pikes.)
If a balance is not needed, a good replacement would be a quality arquebus-melee hybrid.

Hungary
So, just a few words. Hungary was not part of the developements in renaissance warfare. There is a reason behind this of course.
There were lots of forts on the border with the ottomans, this could stop big armies, but smaller (100-1000) raiding parties could pass by them unnoticed. Therefore the kingdom had to adopt, and (with romanian/serbian help), the light cavalry was born.
The other thing is that Hungary didn't adopt pike warfare, but did adopt firearms in increasing numbers. This is the ottoman-hussite-polish-hungarian-cossack school. Defeat the enemy cavalry, than use the own cavalry to defeat the enemy. The infantry in this school of thought is a solid centre, where the cavalry can retreat to, if necessary. Hungarian infantry is usually 1-2 polearms and 1-3 arquebus/crossbow per 1 pavese shieldbearer.

Village recruits (pavese/swordsmen/archer): Very good! You either had a hungarian advisor, or did really awesome job on this!
Town recruits: heavy infantry, halberd and arquebus is very good (a sallet helm is missing from the arquebus equipement). Pikemen... Probably should be landsknecht, vallon pikes or something, this is completely alien to the hungarians.
Horsemen*: once again, very good job! I have some comments on the equipement though:
- main loadout was: lance, hussar shield (tárcsapajzs, tarce der hussaren), sabre. They also carried a piercing weapon (pickaxe or long dagger)
- the basic horsemen should have a simple hat and a hussar shield or round shield as defense
- the veterans should get mail (instead of plate), and a tartar/ottoman style helmet
Banderium is perfect as is.
If you can reach Csatádi, he has all of these items ready.

*how is it possible to recruit horsemen?

I actually loaded up his mod, and dressed up as

a basic horsemen (pickaxe and the hussar shield)
50601457331_05632e0c8a_b.jpg

a veteran horsemen (the lobster helmet is a bit early for 1500, but not too early. Something similar, eastern-ish should be used.
50600716193_b161d6d603_b.jpg

I also found a few interesing items, and dressed up as an ottoman. (note the correct position of the arrows and the bow holster. I am quite sure bow holster is not a correct word)
50601574487_77129ac6d8_b.jpg

As a bonus, he also created nice clothes for eastern ladies.
50601574472_f3d85bec57_b.jpg

Ah, I forgot. Historical 15-16th century helmets.
s019.jpg

source
Nagy Géza-Nemes Mihály: Magyar Viseletek Története (Nagy-Nemes: History of hungarian clothing). This is public domain in Europe (and everywhere where copyright is max 70 years)

Also, Flag of Jagiello-Hungary:
800px-Coa_Hungary_Country_History_Vladislaus_I_%281440%E2%80%931444%29.svg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom