Removing Formations

Users who are viewing this thread

Alter Ego

Recruit
Is there any way to remove formations being used? I really very much prefer it when all the units on both sides just charged at eachother as soon as the battle started, like it is in the original Warband game.

Not sure. Easiest is to press F1, then F3 and everyone will charge. Better that individually ordering each class of troop to charge.

Thanks for the reply, so if I press F1 and then F3 all units will charge at the enemy like they do in the original game?

I wish there was a way you could tell your formation of infantry to engage the enemy without breaking formation.  They're in a shield wall and I have to tell them to charge if I want them to advance or attack.
I guess I could just keep hitting advance 10 paces, but when I'm on horseback with a few other cavalry the enemy just keeps following me.

diomedesbc said:
I wish there was a way you could tell your formation of infantry to engage the enemy without breaking formation.  They're in a shield wall and I have to tell them to charge if I want them to advance or attack.
I guess I could just keep hitting advance 10 paces, but when I'm on horseback with a few other cavalry the enemy just keeps following me.

Or, I believe you could use the backspace brought up minimap and click where you want them to advance to; when they hit the enemy, have them stand ground. (I'm fairly certain motomataru still has the "Hold there" order coded as successive "advance 10 paces" orders)

give them a formation to make, and then tell them to follow you, they'll follow you while staying in formation, you just then run past the enemy and they'll follow you and stick in formation

Is there any way to completely disable formations from the game altogether? I'm getting a bit tired of 200 units in a 4ft square compact mass bashing randomly at each other. I think the more spread out way of battling is more fun and requires more tact than clicking like crazy  :roll:

Press 'Y' on your keyboard. They will leave formation and stand like Native version. After then, if you want you can give them a new formation.

FORMATIONS is a special features with long lines of code and several months of work by Motomataru, He tries to improve  in each version of Brytenwalda. You should give it a chance, which it seek to come as close as possible to the battles at Dark Ages times.

In the loading screen (when you start a new game), you can see the formation list. There is clearly written:

Y = End Formation.

Hope this is helpful.  :smile:

I love formations, wedge is not that useful to me as I have small numbers of horse. But shieldwall is Huge. If you put your spearmen one step closer (f2-f4) they even do well enough jut to walk into the enemy formation and against cavalry charges. I usually break into a charge and reform the shieldwall for the second wave of enemies. (I often have the minimap open) This means I get little fighting done myself but I save that for the times me and my bodyguards get overrrun by a large group of Horsemen while I command the battle from a distance. Me and a couple of archer trained companions with big axes can fight off a group of 10-15 Teleu no problem even on full damage. In the mean while our shieldwall demolished the mob of archers and standardbearers that those Britons call theirs.

Cheers,

DC

I love formation! Can't imagine Brytenwalda without formation,
Formation just need a bit of tweak to fix some error, that's all.

Playing native, each time at the start of battle you need to press at least 2 button to hold your army, and 6-8 more button just to separate your battle group.
Letting your troop charging the enemy at the start of battle is fine as long as you are playing easy diff/ faction with knight.

Try to raise your difficulty setting if you can win every battle by letting your troop charging blindly at the enemy.

The shieldwall formation has saved my ass a lot of times. It's like a mobile castle :razz: No really, cavalry charges get pretty much absorbed in it, and arrow fire -oh please, do I have to get into this? :roll:
I honestly don't really care about the other formations, but that's only because they aren't useful for my tactics. I can see the usefulness in them however.

Hmm, I once fought a group of deserters who had quite a lot of cav. The men I had with me (mainly Herthwerú and the lads before that) were in a shield wall, but I got surprisingly massive losses anyway. And that's the same party that'd eat Dena groups for lunch and ask for seconds.

I fought Suth Seaxe with an allied army, against their huge enemy army. I was badly wounded during previous battles, and was not able to use shields :cry:. I was losing, so I gathered up my remaining infantry and formed a Shield Wall. And I stood behind the wall. When enemy infantry came, they were not able to breach the wall and come to me. Their infantry got flanked, and eventually surrounded. They all were slaughtered, but suddenly enemy cavalry reinforcements came in. They all clashed with my shield wall and died, either by spearmen or swordsmen. :shock:

I can only say that, shield wall saved me from falling in the enemy hands. :eek: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom