Removing Certain troop classes at game start - How To?

Users who are viewing this thread

Basically, I'm interested in removing all troops other than heroes above the various recruit classes from all parties at the onset of the game.  I don't want to completely remove them (yet), and I also don't want to remove the various bandit/merchant/farmer parties, but I want to prevent them from spawning at the beginning and also spawning throughout the game.

I have no idea how to do this, or even if it's possible. Any help would be appreciated.  :smile:

Talking about Singleplayer Warband, by the way.

edit - Does it have something to do with party_templates.txt?

Troops above recruit can exist in two ways:
- Party templates: this is how all parties on the map get there troops. This expands to the scripts that reinforce the parties using those templates. Change the way those scripts behave can change the way party get their troops. Or change the templates or create more templates for various purpose. Change the script to decide when and what the parties will get. This is probably the easier solution.

- Upgrade path: if recruits can be upgraded, then it will be difficult to prevent AI from upgrading them. I would create some new recruits troops which are not upgradable. These new troops will be the ones the parties will get originally. Then make the script to replace them with upgradable ones as I wish.

Parties spawn mostly with scripts (the time intervals are mostly in simple_triggers). You only need to change the way scripts behave or when they are called. There are also some other scripts or constants to check the limit (number of a certain type of party) to see if there is a need for creating new party.

So then, since I am interested in having them still able to upgrade to higher ranks, I could just edit the entries in party_templates.txt such as pt_kingdom_1_reinfocements_a and whatnot to include only recruits or whatever I wish?

edit - hypothetical question: let's say I was interested in turning one faction, say the Khergits, into a "swarm" like faction.  would I edit party_templates to include large amounts of units, and simple_triggers to increase the frequency, so they'd attack with large stacks of units?

Both are correct. That's similar to what I currently have in my mini mod. Lords build their party base on their personal *war doctrine* along with the general spec of the faction. Some like high tech. Some like human wave of low level, cheap troops. Some prefer to strike from a distance. Center defense force would normally aim for 50% to 70% range troops.

I create many new templates. When a party needs reinforcement, I would run a script to decide which template or how many of the template the party will get. This will effect both troop type and number.

You probably can also tweak the way patry receive xp. This will increase/decrease the rate of upgrading.

Edit: you can also control party composition using script and *artificailly* creating the type of party as you wish.

Thank ya!

Decided to cop out of figuring out how to remove the faction-specific troops at start for now; instead they'll be equipped with absolutely nothing and be fairly low levels :3

Back
Top Bottom