Remove the speed penalty for attacking twice in the same direction

Remove same direction multiple strike speed penalty?

• yes, combat should be quicker and less clunky

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • no, fine as is

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

please remove the speed penalty for attacking twice in the same direction,
for example striking twice overhead will result in a different animation that also has a speed reduction in the strike

I find myself clicking the block button every time i swing in order to reset the speed penalty for same direction attacks in-case i have to attack in the same direction immediately

having to click the block button every-time i swing to remove this speed penalty is exhausting and i hope someone who reads this will set up a custom server without this mechanic in the game (please)

i think this speed penalty was put in the game because warband had alot of players spamming the quickest strike (left swing) over and over again to kill players but taleworlds has changed the angle of the left strike to be about equal in speed to the right strike to prevent this(i think the swing angle should be reset to warbands angle, quicker and more effective combat is needed in bannerlord), but taleworlds also introduced this multiple same strike direction penalty to discourage spamming a single attack direction.

i think these new changes are a bad decision,some combat situations require multiple same sided strike directions, please consider removing them to make combat more fluid and effective again.
thank you for reading

wondering if a developer can comment if it is even possible to change the double swing penalty from the game?

the majority of good players block in-between strikes like i do so you never see the double animation swing unless they are using it to hide the swing direction by making a complicated animation to confuse blockers,

if the mechanic doesn't work anyways to stop players from swinging twice in the same direction anyways then why have it in the game?

it is frustrating to add an extra block click to every strike,
shouldn't the mount and blade series be about simplicity? not excess unneeded button presses?

I didn't even know this was a thing. Personally I find it kind of frustrating when people spam the same attack over and over, and because of stances or block-stun occasionally their hits land quicker than yours, but it's super inconsistent and confusing. That's probably a different issue altogether though.

If I understand correctly, your attack will go slower if you attack twice from the same direction WITHOUT blocking in-between?

Well, realistically, attacks from the same side actually would be slower. Or if they were not slower, they would lack significantly in force

If anything, blocking in that case should slow you down even more rather than remove a speed penalty. I do agree that it being advantageous to click block between attacks should not be a thing.

I think small nuances like some attack directions being faster from certain stances and certain follow-ups being slower than others makes the combat more rich and interesting.

Right now, I personally don't feel that the problem with combat is that it is too slow and needs to be sped up. I do agree it can feel a bit clunky. I feel the problem that speeding things up too much will only exacerbate the current issues with melee combat.

If you mean make combat quicker by making input simpler (by removing the clicks between attacks) then I agree with that.

Well, realistically, attacks from the same side actually would be slower. Or if they were not slower, they would lack significantly in force

If anything, blocking in that case should slow you down even more rather than remove a speed penalty. I do agree that it being advantageous to click block between attacks should not be a thing.

I think small nuances like some attack directions being faster from certain stances and certain follow-ups being slower than others makes the combat more rich and interesting.

Right now, I personally don't feel that the problem with combat is that it is too slow and needs to be sped up. I do agree it can feel a bit clunky. I feel the problem that speeding things up too much will only exacerbate the current issues with melee combat.

If you mean make combat quicker by making input simpler (by removing the clicks between attacks) then I agree with that.
+1, look @Jesus__is__Lord I have a minimum of 95 ping, because TW decides that splitting the NA community in two different locations is smart, but what I want to say is that making those kinds of attacks even quicker will not only exploit my block delay but like @ares007 said it is unrealistic. Attacking from one side to another and using that side to initiate a second attack is alot faster than bringing your arm all the way back around because of the distance it has to travel, I guess if you want to do consecutive strikes quicker from the same side then have good ping, learn how to use combos, and learn how to use movement to shorten the time from release to hit.

+1, look @Jesus__is__Lord I have a minimum of 95 ping, because TW decides that splitting the NA community in two different locations is smart, but what I want to say is that making those kinds of attacks even quicker will not only exploit my block delay but like @ares007 said it is unrealistic. Attacking from one side to another and using that side to initiate a second attack is alot faster than bringing your arm all the way back around because of the distance it has to travel, I guess if you want to do consecutive strikes quicker from the same side then have good ping, learn how to use combos, and learn how to use movement to shorten the time from release to hit.
this mechanic does not work bc players just click block inbetween strikes to cancel out this mechanic,

notice in games that good players still strike twice in the same direction without penalty,

so in effect the only players that are affected by this are beginners(who do not know how to strike twice in the same directions by clicking block inbetween(which doesn't even slow you down)) which is contrary to what i think they were trying to do by putting this in the game to stop veterans from spamming left attack, not giving their opponent a chance to attack due to the strength of a repetitive left sided strike

sorry to hear about your high ping though, but taking out this unnecessary animation would only benefit beginners and grow the community bc veterans are not affected by this mechanic.

this delay just adds another button press to the strike which is frustrating but doesn't stop or slow down same sided strikes

lets simplify the combat and take out this mechanic that doesn't benefit the community

this mechanic does not work bc players just click block inbetween strikes to cancel out this mechanic,

notice in games that good players still strike twice in the same direction without penalty,

so in effect the only players that are affected by this are beginners(who do not know how to strike twice in the same directions by clicking block inbetween(which doesn't even slow you down)) which is contrary to what i think they were trying to do by putting this in the game to stop veterans from spamming left attack, not giving their opponent a chance to attack due to the strength of a repetitive left sided strike

sorry to hear about your high ping though, but taking out this unnecessary animation would only benefit beginners and grow the community bc veterans are not affected by this mechanic.

this delay just adds another button press to the strike which is frustrating but doesn't stop or slow down same sided strikes

lets simplify the combat and take out this mechanic that doesn't benefit the community
Honestly I think it will have the opposite affect. This game, especially when facing veterans shouldn't be easy. I might flatter myself by saying that I have some skill, but I have spent 2 years learning this game and an additional 6 years in the previous game and its Napoleonic Wars DLC participating in the competitive scene. Competitive players strive to find the game mechanics that will put them on top and many of them no-life that quest. I don't think that melee combat should be made any easier, and if someone wants to be able to beat someone capable of such a move then they should dedicate themselves to learning how to do so.

Back
Top Bottom