REMINDER: Released mods in game-specific boards

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
This is a reminder that all mods which have a download available are located in the Caravanserai (Warband)Released WFaS Mods (With Fire and Sword) and Cartographer's Guild (Mount&Blade) boards.

If you have a mod thread for a mod which has a download available and it hasn't yet been moved over to the Released Mods board, please send a PM to an admin or one of the modification moderators asking to have it moved.

REMINDER: Released mods in Cartographer's Guild Board

This is a reminder that all mods which have a download available are to be located in the Cartographer's Guild - Released Mods board.
If at any point in the future you have a mod thread for a mod which has a download available and it hasn't yet been moved over to the Released Mods board, please send a PM to myself or another admin asking to have it moved. Thanks.

I've just moved the first couple of pages worth of mods with releases over there, so if you can't find your mod thread here, check there.

Yeh, thanks mate.

Hopefully this will bring some more people there. Seems the Released section is more of a curse  :smile:

thanks, I think this should help a lot to make things more organized.  If we continue to moved released mods to this forum I think people will get used to the change and it will no longer be a curse.  :wink:

Anyone else think the setup is counter intuitive, when king's court/privy council is taken into account? Personally, I'd like to see released mods on the primary forum page, and discussion on all the video games newbies want mods based on put on a back page.

lumikant said:
Anyone else think the setup is counter intuitive, when king's court/privy council is taken into account? Personally, I'd like to see released mods on the primary forum page, and discussion on all the video games newbies want mods based on put on a back page.

Aye, I second that. Still, I guess there's supposed to more discussion on mods in development. I for one have had no posts in my mod since its been moved  :smile:.

Still, for people like Dain and Highlander, I'm glad they get the center page.

lumikant said:

well, in an ideal world we would have a 'Mod Discussion' and 'Mod Development' child board, etc. However, I don't think that would ever work.  You will always get the majority of the mod questions, idea's, development, etc, in the main board primarily because it is often new people to the forum asking those type of questions.  I like the concept of when a download is posted you get the privilege\status of having it moved to the released board.  Then, if your mod gets really popular you can eventually get a child board under that forum, etc.  If we continue to move all released mods to that board I think this will work very well.  If we move 10 mods and then stop then those will die a slow and painful death.  lol

Hopefully this will bring some more people there. Seems the Released section is more of a curse

True, or a blessing in some cases (I don't mind one of my threads cooling down a little).

well, in an ideal world we would have a 'Mod Discussion' and 'Mod Development' child board, etc. However, I don't think that would ever work.  You will always get the majority of the mod questions, idea's, development, etc, in the main board primarily because it is often new people to the forum asking those type of questions.

I think having the development as a child board would work well. The mods with their own sub-forums, the major mods, would be best advertised, and the completed mods more so than they are currently. It would also keep the 'main' board clean, with all the crap being posted in a child forum and out of the way. I think it may also lessen the casual user "when is it ready" and "omg coolz" type posts. It would also lessen the number of "make a mod that has xxx" and "is there a xxxx mod" posts, since the released mods are there for everyone to see.

Still, I guess there's supposed to more discussion on mods in development

Is it good discussion though?

well, in an ideal world we would have a 'Mod Discussion' and 'Mod Development' child board, etc. However, I don't think that would ever work

? All that would need to be done is to swith the Cartographer's Guild (including the mod sub-forums) and the Pioneer's Guild.

Of course, we'd also get a lot more mod threads posted in other random boards because people can't figure out why they can't create a new topic in the most visible mod discussion board. Basically, the same issue we face with the suggestions boards being laid out as they are.

we'd also get a lot more mod threads posted in other random boards because people can't figure out why they can't create a new topic in the most visible mod discussion board

You could always just ban them :razz:. Thoughts on a post limit before starting a thread in a mod section? Most people seem to work things out after spending some time here, and the mods that actually get worked on seem to be from people who aren't completely new. It's just a shame people don't bother to read rules or first posts.

If you think about reorganizing the mod board I think it should be the following way:

• The Pioneer's Guild - Mods
    • Released Mods
      • Mod boards
    • Mods in Development
      • Mod Announcements
    • Mod ideas
  • The Forge - Mod Development

You could only post new topics in the green boards and when a mod actually shows good development, it'll be moved to the "Mods in Development" board. Mods by some teams which only have one or more "leader"/"organizer" or which only happen to have one or two models done should stay there.
A board for mod ideas is of course stupid, because there is no sense at all to post an idea, but it's better than, if they go to another board like now.

Something really should be done about the forum situation.  You'll notice there's five times as many people viewing this forum which is only supposed to be for WiPs and ideas and such, and only a few people viewing the actual released mods forum.

Over on the Total War Center we've arranged the mod forums in a good way, I think.

There's the Mod Threads forum, which has two subforums and no posting allowed in the main mod threads forum.  The subforums are:
Released Mods
Wips, Ideas and Proposals

This way neither of these forums is on top of the other, so when you come to TWC you can choose to look at released mods or unreleased mods.  Up until a few days ago I didn't even notice that the cartographers guild had mod threads, I had thought it was only for mod subforums, and thus I didn't know about all the released mods...

It just doesn't make sense for unreleased mods, ideas and so on to have so much more publicity than released mods.

I would also agree that we may want to re-think these boards.  I do like the current method better then the old way of everything going in the main thread, since previously the Released Mods quickly drifted off the page and were lost.  Zaro's suggestion of switching the boards makes sense but I think Janus is right it will cause confusion for new members.  But I like Garnier's suggestion of not allowing any posts on the main board and just having links to the other forums. I'd probably split it  into 3 categories....

Pioneer's Guild ( no posting, sticky threads only)
+ Released Mods (no new posts, they have to be moved from development board)
+ Mods in Development (new posts allowed)
+ Mod Questions and ideas (new posts allowed)

HokieBT said:
Pioneer's Guild ( no posting, sticky threads only)
+ Released Mods (no new posts, they have to be moved from development board)
+ Mods in Development (new posts allowed)
+ Mod Questions and ideas (new posts allowed)
Either way, the difference is just whether Wips (mods in development) should be in the same forum with the new ideas forum.  I lean toward having them together, as often its a blurry line between something being a new idea and being a mod in development.  Most mods that are actually off the ground and being developed heavily have at least their first release out and would be in the released mods forum anyway.  Modding questions go in the forge.

On TWC we have a single thread in the released mods forum which is stickied, and thats for discussing mods and for newbies to ask what mods they should try and so on. 

I think a reversal of forums is all we need really; although, tell you the truth, a lot of people simply cruise the Repository for mods and the types who post in Released mod threads are the more involved type. Its not in dire need of a change, and Janus seems to know what he's doing. (He only made the forum, afterall :wink: )

Well one things for sure, my mod got 20 new posts within a day after I posted it here, then as soon as it was moved to the cartographer's guild, zero more posts for two days.

It's obvious that keeping your mod in the pioneers guild instead of cartographers guild will get a lot more people to see it. 

Part of it could be that there are a lot of released mods still in the pio guild, and there are people (like me a week ago) who didn't know there were threads in the cartographers guild, and just assumed all the mods were here in the pio guild.

Understood. Same thing happened to my mod, but the thing is, 20 posts a day isn't really important to me. I'm sure Dain would love to have his mod sheltered from the hordes of "luks great! wen releasin" types.

Back
Top Bottom