Remember VIKINGR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ragnar Bell

Recruit
Gentlemen,

I miss this game more than any game I have ever played. In its prime, it was the best game I have ever seen.

I thank the DEVs for all the good times I have had. GODS I miss Vikingr. In this last year I have been trying to fill my Vikingr void with random games and non of them do it for me.

I am now stationed in Hawaii so ping is truly the final ruining factor but I must ask what happened to this game?

Archery ruined, spears ruined, CAV ruined, the use of teamwork ruined, Vikingr overall...ruined.

Every "balance" was really just a NERF of what made certain people upset. The cosmetic changes / gear only improved the game but every game play "balance" change was a step in the wrong direction.

Look at the game now. It is almost dead. Do you not believe there is any correlation to the game play changes?

I am not trying to start an argument but man I miss this game. I miss FENRISBARN. I miss clan wars. I miss getting punched by Mo and him running off into the woods. (leaving me confused and slightly aroused) I miss Stamford bridge. I miss team work. I miss actually being able to play as the archer class. (never enough people due to the ridiculous slotting requirement)

I am coming to Europe in March to start RAGNAROK and unite the tribes. Please resurrect this game by that time.

If I was ever a millionaire I would put billboards of this mod in every major city.

My vikingr fulfillment has been slain...WHAT TO DO?

-Ragnar of FENRISBARN (of old)

Ragnar Bell said:
Look at the game now. It is almost dead. Do you not believe there is any correlation to the game play changes
Activity comes and goes in cycles that by now are pretty well defined (low in summer, low immediately after events, low on Christmas). Eventually things start picking up when the veterans who were taking their break feel like playing again. I don't think it's because EVERY SINGLE CHANGE RUINED IT so much as because Víkingr is an old mod for an old game.

If you want the server to be more active, I'd recommend playing. Often it only takes a couple of people to get the server going.

I’m not sure how you can say the changes have been for the worse when you don’t have the ping to play it properly with and against other human beings. Are you really in a position to judge?

Archery and spearwork have become harder but can still be extremely effective. Gone are the days where half a warband is shot in the head before the clash. Gone are the days where a bloke with nothing but a spear can duel practically anyone on the field and effortlessly block stabs from a seax wielding foe 3 inches away. Riding has become more sophisticated, with more opportunities now that infantry can supply them with extra spears.

As for team work, these changes have only made it more important. Bowmen, spearmen and horsemen can’t afford to fool around as much anymore and have to rely on team mates more.

And like Hróða said, this mod is old and its player base has always been small, with periodical low activity. To be honest, you are not doing it or those still playing it any favours by declaring it “ruined”. Newcomers and irregulars might read this, take your word for it and not bother playing anymore, whilst the game is as good as it ever was, if not better.

Aah, nostalgia clouded your mind. I think you wanted to play like you used to, and have the game exactly like it once was. But that is not how things are in life... ever. At this point, any change would be perceived as negative. I hope its not the game's fault you feel like you don't enjoy it as you used to.  Éadríc captured the situation quite well

Hey, you know what. You guys are ****ing ****s you have ruined this mod. I mean we need like I dunno, like a monthly event focused on shieldwalls or summit, why you ****ers not do that? Or maybe like a larger historical events were we can get like over 100 people attending? ****s, you hate Vikingr and I hate you.

On a serious note; it's ****ing Christmas and you made that post on Christmas eve. Did you expect the server to be full? If you did then you're ****ing crazy. Also, we just had a large event which featured 130+ players, which completely drains the community - especially the organizers - of any enthusiasm for the mod.

The community probably hasn't been this strong in a long time. Clans are still growing and are still regular. I really don't understand what you want? You want the mod to be more popular then does the saying "preaching to the choir" mean anything to you? Lastly, when was the last time you played the mod? Oh, that's right ****ing ages ago.

Merry Christmas.

Ragnar Bell said:
but I must ask what happened to this game?
The mod improved. Whilst there are elements I did not want altered/changed (such as removing 'blocking' with spears), things I wish removed (archery) and stuff I would love to have added in ('rooting' players when drawing a bowcord or preparing to throw a weapon), the mod has improved leaps and bounds compared to when I first played it several years ago (can't remember how long ago it was). It's a fine mod that really shows it's greatness in the organised events, especially in the most recent one, the 'Battle of Sulcoit'. Vikingr is a healthy mod for gameplay, events, community & community leaders.

Celtichugs said:
Merry Christmas.
And to you Celtic!

Eadric already said it best.

"Gone are the days..."

Agree to disagree

On a side note, if we ever acted like Celtic just did on these forums we would be banned. (Although I would never want Celtic to be banned just for having too much cider and talking on the internets)

I miss this game and quite frankly I miss arguing with you guys as well. It has been fun.

Happy Yule.

I feel inclined to ban this Ragnar fool on the game server now. I mean, if the community and game are so ****, why bother playing huh? I can help remedy your problem.

/signed, your favourite Víkingr founder and developer.

I would be honored to be a matyr for the days of old.

Let the record show that I said not one word of what you just said.

Now I am ready for the ultimate and final NERF!

I feel like a Vikingr version of V for Vendetta.

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are ban-proof"

Archer nerf? Where? I want it!

I don't know if you've missed the latest recordings of the Shieldwall Event, but it's quite obvious that archery is alive and kicking - shooting rather, everything in the head.

Ragnar Bell said:
I would be honored to be a matyr for the days of old.

Let the record show that I said not one word of what you just said.

Now I am ready for the ultimate and final NERF!

I feel like a Vikingr version of V for Vendetta.

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are ban-proof"
Are you sure you're older than twelve? But anyway, this thread seems so very familiar.

Guys! Guys!

Have you never shed a Christmas tear of love and regret for the old days? I know this man better than my children-sack and I can tell you he is genuine about his love and will to inaugurate Vikingr-specific infrastructure! Vikingr has changed quite a bit, perhaps not as much as he says - it's most definitely true that the only playstyle available to him today has been denied for the most part by class-limits and ping and thus anything he might experience today would be but a shadow of its former self, but perhaps some slack may be cut for a man who aches? WHO ACHES FOR VIKINGR?

AS DO I

VIKINGR SUCKS! Because I can't be there! :sad:

Wouldn't mind to see archery gone from Vikingr's exsistence, wouldn't mind if it stays either.

Don't get me started on blocking with spears.

Overall, the game did improve for the better.

I solidly remember the days where the old Fyrd of Lewes (the well respected one, not the one led by Mabons and definitly not the two remaining that still dwell on Hildileikr every now and again) together with the Einherjar and Shieldlings would fight clans like Vyatichi. I really did enjoy those battles, not only because they were just right in size but also the people were more laidback and, to me, seemingly less stressed.

At the Battle of Sulcoit, I fought with the public host and it was just no fun at all. Very little solid teamwork or communication. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the clans involved that do have to cohesion, teamwork and communication, I understand you enjoyed it and can respect that.

I can fully understand the point you're trying to make, Ragnar. A gust of nostalgia hit me in the face like a brick as well and yeah, I too miss the old times. But maybe the fact that the mod doesn't have a development team anymore and there are less frequent updates (read: none at all), the mod somewhat dies for a few nights a week. But there are also -still- days where there are 20+ people on. Keep an eye on this subforum and this thread http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,222223.0.html. When people post in it, they basically blow the rallying horn. So go and kick them in the game.
geddit? :wink::wink::wink:

Back
Top Bottom