Religion.

Users who are viewing this thread

FerdiadITA said:
Yes to all,but the heathens could use the berserkers as a sort of fanatics group.The berserkers were warriors that followed the ancient religion with zelo.So for gameplay reasons we could close an eye on historical accuracy and accept something simply realistic.

The suggestions for the heathens are good,but they should also have the same advantages of the Christians,so recuiting,missions,NPCs and so on.

Well,I think that we have the ideas,now it's time to put them in game.

OO yees.I cannot wait !Hope it will be ready soon  :twisted:

How about pagans gains strength/skill bonuses á la TLD from sacrifices? White horses or captives to Odin in sacred grove, done like talking to Ramun.

At this time there weren't human sacrifices,and the animals too I believe.
Actually my computer is going to be repared,so work won't begin for a couple of days,and even then I fear that will be quiet a long work.

FerdiadITA said:
True. People were not sacrificed (although you might find a few exceptions). People were too valuable  :smile:

But there's substantial evidence that animals were sacrificed. Both cows (cattle) and horses.
Especially in bogged/swampy areas. That didn't stop until Christianity came - much later.

You don't seem to keen on the idea, but there could be sacrificial areas on the map,
that heathens could visit to sacrifice cattle or horses in return for charisma/morale or something

Yep, animal sacrifices were common.  I like the idea of being able to sacrifice to the pagan gods.  Maybe that would be comparable to donating money to the Christian monasteries?

Also, just like monasteries were centers of knowledge, druids were the keepers of knowledge, so perhaps there should be raidable "druid villages" near sacred sites, with lootable books, etc? Just an idea.

(To FerdiadITA: When I'm doing the music, I'm going to throw in a couple Gregorian chants (Christian) and drum rhythm tracks (pagan) so you'll have some "religious music" to play with.  :grin:)

I would love to see special troops for each pagan god (or at least the trinity Lords) like Beserkers for Thor (Donar) Paganpriests for Odin (Wodan) and Huntsman or Braveman for Tyr.

If you need any info on the ancient viking gods pm me I'm more then happy to help out on the Pagan religion part :grin:.

That reminds me a little of 'Age Of Mythology'. A little too fantasy'ish for my taste.
But I can vividly image it would be fun to have these special troops.
Especially the distinction between berserker Thor, and Tyr the god of 'organised' warfare...

I would like to suggest another heathen tradition:
After a large battle - of at least a 100 men or so - you could be given the option
to perform a sacrificial burial for the dead, and thereby increase leadership/charisma/morale or something.
It would take perhaps 1/4 of a day and you wouldn't get the loot from the battle (buried with the dead).
(Sacrificial burials were common - just think of Sutton Hoo or Vendel).

Ok,so sacrifical animals instead of donations for the pagans.
Burial grounds for the greatest battles...I'll see what I can do.

@Ewout:I don't think would be a good idea,it doesn't fit my vision of the mod.

@christhawk:Excellent.

christhawk said:
(To FerdiadITA: When I'm doing the music, I'm going to throw in a couple Gregorian chants (Christian) and drum rhythm tracks (pagan) so you'll have some "religious music" to play with.  :grin:)

Uh... For the Pagan, don't just make it drum rhythm. Didn't they have harps and stuff at this period as well? Try adding some strings. Percussion is just lame. :neutral: My two cents anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. :grin:

They had harps and stuff, but as far as I could tell religious music for pagans was percussion, or vocals with percussion accompaniment.  Now, I could do the vocals but I'm not sure that I could write something convincing in Old Welsh... but if anyone knows Welsh or Cornish and would write a "we just sacrificed something, praises be to the three gods" chant poem with a pronunciation guide, I'd be glad to record it! :mrgreen:

Regarding Saxon music, you could use a soundtrack made from the instrument, the 'Lyre'. It typically has 4 to 6 strings and a large sound hole.. One was found at Sutton Hoo I believe. I have a Lyre song soundtrack which features really sombre tunes, some with a flute over toning. Let me know if you'd like me to send you some, Christhawk and Ferdiad.

I could also speak/record some Old English alliterative verse for you if you like, which you could place over the music, Christhawk? I learnt to speak, read and write it within the last few years, I am particularly partial to reciting Beowulf. Regarding the Pagan aspects of the game, it all sounds fab! I can't wait.

-Buz

Old English verse would be perfect for a "fake" pagan ritual soundtrack.  Put some together - great idea.

As far as lyres go, there is strong evidence that those used in Britain, like the Sutton Hoo lyre, may have been bowed instruments as frequently as they were strummed or plucked. (See the Wikipedia article for a nice summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyre#Central_and_Northern_Europe.)  The welsh crwth bears a strong resemblance to the Sutton Hoo lyre, only with a fingerboard, and it is bowed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crwth.)  So my use of fiddle for the soundtrack is probably not far off. I'd like to hear your plucked lyre tracks - if they're public domain, I'll add to them for the soundtrack.  Otherwise they'd just be fun to hear. :smile:

The Sutton Hoo lyre:
284px-Sutton_Hoo_lyre_%28reconstruction%29.jpg

Crwth, 19th century (although they go back much farther):
271px-Crwth_rem.jpg

Was human sacrifice really not practiced? Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom is set at around the same period, and it includes that. Was he wrong on this point?

I don't recall anything written about human sacrifice in any of the Saxon Stories by Cornwell, are you sure you're not thinking of another text?

There is... he mentions it at least three times in the book, part of the "pit slaughter". All English prisoners sacrificed by Danes.

FerdiadITA said:
Actually my computer is going to be repared,so work won't begin for a couple of days,and even then I fear that will be quiet a long work.

actually ritual sacrifice of both humans and animals was reasonaly common among pagans around king alfreds time

Ragnarthefearless said:
FerdiadITA said:
Actually my computer is going to be repaired,so work won't begin for a couple of days,and even then I fear that will be quiet a long work.

actually ritual sacrifice of both humans and animals was reasonably common among pagans around king Alfred's time
Do you have some references on ritual, human sacrifice?
I've never come across evidence of that, so I'm very interested.

Back
Top Bottom