• Shintoism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Traditional Religion

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pantheism

• Agnosticism

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Non-religious, but spirituality in some form.

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Atheism

Votes: 119 32.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Taoism

• Buddhism

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Terrible at Werewolf

Votes: 35 9.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd rather watch ancalimon than the nut they currently have doing the Ancient Aliens show or Pawn Stars or Swamp People or whatever the hell they show on that channel nowadays.

ancalimon said:
Like I said countless times before words are inert. They are meaningless.
MFRT3.gif

Recently, ISIS executed 21 Egyptian Copts. This lead me to the question what is Coptic Christianity, and what makes it different from other sects of Christianity? I tried to google it, but all the answers were long and filled with incomprehensible religious terminology.

I think they are pretty much like the orthodox ethiopian and all that, just christianity spread by the roman empire that didn't became catholic after the schisms.
Take into account that i am talking out of my ass.

Thread... so... long... won't read Anything!!!

Anyway I made up a religion that needs a name, it works on the basis of placebo. So if you believe you will stop existing when you die you WILL, if you believe you will go to heaven, you WILL. And so on.

HOWEVER this belief has to be true, not just some random thing you say/type to prove me wrong.

E.G. If you believe you will NEVER die you won't, but we are all taught from early on that you will (thus planted in our subconscious).

So what do you do? Get a newborn kid and teach it that it can fly at the age of 20 and watch the power of Placebo!!!
However the enviroment has to be really controlled and you must be 100% confident or at least look like it.

Negative beats positive BUT two negatives make positive. SO...

If you actually think placebo is false it will be (FOR YOU), so if you think they can't fly in your head, they won't.

No idea how to explain the two negatives tho.

"I don't know what weapons world war III will be fought with, but I can tell you World War IV will be fought with Virtual Reality GAMES!!!" - Modified (and improved) Quote from Albert Einstein.

Source - Unclipedia + my imagination!

NOTE: Maybe I should have re-read what I wrote...

SwadianJedi said:
Recently, ISIS executed 21 Egyptian Copts. This lead me to the question what is Coptic Christianity, and what makes it different from other sects of Christianity? I tried to google it, but all the answers were long and filled with incomprehensible religious terminology.

From what I know Coptic Christianity is basically one of the Eastern Churches.
Some dudes formed a meeting where they decided what christianity is and isnt and what to have in the bible.
Then several meetings after that some dudes disagreed and left to have their own things but including what the old meetings had come up with.
Thus Copts and other Eastern christian churches, Catholicism and Orthodoxy and all the other branches.
Oversimplified but its basically about politics and stuff when they decided to leave. Thats basically why Orthodoxy and Catholicism split.

SwadianJedi said:

Well, apart from incomprehensible religious terminology they are very similar to the Greek Orthodox - top-down hierarchical organization, the priests wear beards, can get married and  they have monasteries with monks.

In terms of religious stuff, Christianity in Egypt evolved in before its adoption by the Roman powers that be and though the Coptic Church traces its origin back to apostle Mark, this is about as historical as Catholic Popes having an uninterrupted line of popes going back to apostle Peter.

As Christianity grew in numbers in the first three centuries there were some differences that were just bound to spring up in a community that big. This surfaced most intensely right after the establishment of the universal church at the councils of Nicaea and Constantinople and is usually known as the Christological controversies, which is a fancy word for "who exactly was Jesus?"

The first casualties were the Arians who essentially claimed Jesus was some uberhuman, or ultraprophet. A very important dude, but in the end just a man whom God chose. They lost so thoroughly there aren't any actual Arians anymore, but they were quite popular in their heyday.

Then in come the Nestorians who say that Jesus was both human and divine, but these two "essences" are somehow separate in his personality. What the **** is that supposed to mean, no one knows, but anyway they were promptly declared anathema and expelled from the universal church at the council of Ephesos in 431. They didn't give much **** and continued to go on about their business, mostly in the easternmost provinces of the Empire and even further east - Persia and India. There are still some out there (e.g. Assyrian Church of the East) but most of them later converted to Islam etc or joined the Catholic church in the early modern era.

Then as a sort of reactionary opposition to the Nestorians come the Monophysites* who claimed that Jesus was both human and divine and these two essences were thoroughly mixed resulting in one awesome Jesus. This was a for a while considered the Orthodox position, but it too was eventually declared anathema at the Council of Chalcedon. So again there was a split, the Monophysites eventually prevailed in Egypt, Ethiopia and Armenia, which is why these countries have separate churches and which is exactly what the Coptic Church is.

The rest of the Empire went with yet another definition of Jesus and 600 years later split into Catholics and Orthodox over a different, but equally as ridiculous theological issue.

*- for more confusion, the Monophysites consider the term an insult, prefering to call them Miaphysite claiming their actual position is pretty similar if not identical to Catholic/Orthodox.

2 minutes in and it's already self-serving crap, that's certainly promising. I'm also loving the suggested videos in the corner, "Theism to atheism - The Complete Deconversion Series". Brilliant.

Self-serving, as in, intended for a specific audience of which the video creator is a part. Who, exactly, were you thinking of when you shared the video in this particular spot?

And no, I don't necessarily have a problem with someone detailing their own conversion, but creating 2 hours worth of video of it is hilarious in that if it were to have any content in it which would be aimed at similarly converting people (I wouldn't know, I won't watch it), it would be a pretty pathetic attempt at reaching an audience, which would leave it as 2 hours of the above category. Note that I have the same problem with people jerking off about conversions to other religions as well so it's not a unique problem to that video or category.

So, to be clear, you think that the two minutes of the video in which the creator does nothing more than flesh out which specific kind of response to a discussion he'd like to address, not the 18 minutes of argument, tells you everything you need to know about the video, for whom it is intended, and what effect those arguments actually have? Are they actually good arguments, or are they only intended to give the "choir" a feel good fluff piece?

I never actually watched 3vid3nc3's series on that either, but usually those stories aren't aimed at converting or deconverting anyone. They really are just background stories. Some people enjoy it. I watched the one dasamericanatheist did years ago, and decided they weren't really my thing either.

:razz:

Edit: I have a fun game for you. Watch the video I posted, come back at the end of those three weeks, and see if what Hawk is saying by that time has any relation at all to the content of the video.

Back
Top Bottom