• Shintoism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Traditional Religion

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pantheism

• Agnosticism

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Non-religious, but spirituality in some form.

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Atheism

Votes: 119 32.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Taoism

• Buddhism

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Terrible at Werewolf

Votes: 35 9.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

:smile: Sorry, man, didn't mean nuttin by it :smile:

No it's not a thing afaik. If anything I guess actual "learned" and practicing Catholics would frown upon such division as we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, equally dumb as soup before our Lord.

Haha, no offense taken! I haven't been a practicing Catholic for several years now, and anyway Wigster hit the nail on the head; I can be, and enjoy being, quite vulgar sometimes  :iamamoron:.

So to be clear, there's no specific scripture stating that masturbation is wrong.
It's 'circumtantial' based on other principles, like the importance of procreation.
So anyone is free to interpret their own views of this activity sported by all humans and harming no one.

Adorno said:
So to be clear, there's no specific scripture stating that masturbation is wrong.
No, there isn't.
Adorno said:
It's 'circumtantial' based on other principles, like the importance of procreation.
So anyone is free to interpret their own views of this activity sported by all humans and harming no one.
If you go by the sola scriptura, then yes. If you're asking about Catholicism as I thought you were, then no. The Tradition as protected and formulated by the Church has just as much doctrinal authority as the Scripture and the Tradition is very clear that masturbation is a sin.

kurczak said:
Adorno said:
No, there isn't.
Adorno said:
If you go by the sola scriptura, then yes. If you're asking about Catholicism as I thought you were, then no. The Tradition as protected and formulated by the Church has just as much doctrinal authority as the Scripture and the Tradition is very clear that masturbation is a sin.

tenor.gif

Abdullah Öcalan's stache said:
why do you have the need to bring up a pedophile in an otherwise completely valid discussion about the Catholic church?

Did you hear the latest catholic hymn?

Its called "Jesus is coming (in A minor)"

:grin:

Jumping back to the topic of anti wank, whether it's misinterpreted or not. I found myself at the chapter that was being discussed I think when reading last night.

Abit of a precursor;
It starts at Genesis 38, directly after the chapter where Jacob's son Joseph (the technicolour dreamcoat one) was about to be killed/left for dead by his jealous brothers, before they spot some Midianite merchants when Judah (one of the jealous brothers) suggests they make a profit off their brothers removal instead, selling him to the Midianites for twenty pieces of silver. After which the Midianites take Joseph to Egypt (eventually selling him to a bloke called Potiphar, one of the pharoh's officers and captain of the guard.)  and the brothers kill a goat kid and use its blood to soak Josephs coat to show to their father Jacob who upon believing the story of his sons demise goes into mourning: 37:34 And Jacob rent his clothes , and put sack-cloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days.

Back to Chapter 38, the point of discussion;
(Note that some of the commas have spaces after them before the next word and some do not, these were put in as they appeared in the copy I have, not sure if they're intentional or the way the press laid them out during print.)

38:1 And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his bretheren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.

38:2 And Judah saw there a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her and went in unto her.

38:3 And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.

38:4 And she conceived again,and bare a son; and he called his name Onan.

38:5 And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and she called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib,when she bare him.

38:6 And Judah took a wife for Er his first-born, whose name was Tamar.

38:7 And Er,Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.

38:8 And Judah said unto Onan,Go in unto thy brother's wife,and marry her,and raise up seed to thy brother.

38:9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

38:10 And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.

38:11 Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law,Remain a widow at thy father's house,till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest preadventure he die also, as his bretheren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.

38:12 And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah's wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheep-shearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.

38:13 And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep.

38:14 And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her with a vail, and wrapped herself and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife.

38:15 When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an  harlot; because she had covered her face.

38:16 And he turned unto her by the way, and said,Go to,I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?

38:17 And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it?

38:18 And he said, What pledges shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets,and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.

38:19 And she arose,and went away,and laid by her vail from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.

38:20 And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not.

38:21 The he asked the men of the place, saying, Where is the harlot,that was openly by the way side? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.

38:22 And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place.

38:23 And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.

38:24 And it came to pass about three months after,that it was told Judah,saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.

38:25 When she was brought forth,she sent to her father in law,saying,By the man, whose these are,am I with child: and she said,Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet and bracelets and staff.

38:26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

38:27 And it came to pass in the time of her travail,that,behold twins were in her womb.

38:28 And it came to pass, when she travailed,that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread,saying,This came out first.

38:29 And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said,How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.

38:30 And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah.

That concludes chapter 38 of the book of Genesis.

Like has been discussed, verse 9 and 10 out of the context of the chapter can be interpreted as non-procreational ejaculation is a negative, being an act that is somewhat sticking a finger up at the miracle of life. But it can also be interpreted that the Lord also slew Onan for simply disobeying his father Judah.

Judah is of course not the perfect character, as is seen in the previous chapter (37) where he gives the idea to his brothers to sell off Joseph rather than kill him, then visits what he thought was a prostitute later in chapter 38, only to believe his daughter in law was a prositute he wants her burnt for it. To his credit he does change his mind, but only after seeing what would be concrete proof tying him to what Tamar had been up to, possibly to save his own skin. But then again he does own up to not marrying Tamar off to his son Shelah.

This could be rather moot though, depending on the culture 'back in day, of which I know very little about.

It could, rather than being a story of obeying the father/non-pro-creational activities just be a chapter about a woman who really wants children of her own and has misfortunes of her legal lovers not being able to willingly sire children with her or don't bother to try at all.

This is also the largest, serious post i've made that ever contributes to an actual discussion on here, can I have a sticker?

I always felt that Judah was the best of the brothers, and that the whole "let's sell him rather than kill him" was because he was outnumbered and didn't want to risk being killed himself.

Of course that could come from having listened to Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat too many times.

Did anyone in this thread ever have a discussion about how to define religion? I wonder what people here think about that. I just took one class about it at university and found out it's a very contested question.

Back
Top Bottom