Releasing the game in this state feels like a slap in the face

Users who are viewing this thread

It's called consuming just to consume. People who accept or belittle the significance of products being broken or companies lying about the product are only into it to consume and forget. A short burst of dopamine.

I think part of it is when the game came out. Loads of people seem to claim 1000+ hours in bannerlord. At first I didn't believe them, I don't have 1000 hours in anything, but thinking back on it I can see how some people, perhaps with no family or easily accessible friends, would do nothing but play vidya games during the early phases of lockdown. Bannerlord was basically their only friend for an entire year where they weren't allowed to go to work or meet friends. They have an emotional attachment to it that isn't really related to the actual quality of the game.

I was not allowed to meet my drinking buddies in a pub but I was forced to go to work with them 😄

That's the level of quality you get for product created in environment without competit

I think part of it is when the game came out. Loads of people seem to claim 1000+ hours in bannerlord. At first I didn't believe them, I don't have 1000 hours in anything, but thinking back on it I can see how some people, perhaps with no family or easily accessible friends, would do nothing but play vidya games during the early phases of lockdown. Bannerlord was basically their only friend for an entire year where they weren't allowed to go to work or meet friends. They have an emotional attachment to it that isn't really related to the actual quality of the game.
I moan about bannerlord but i'm one of those people that has 1000+ hours. It really did help with the lockdown for me, i suppose it was worth every penny.

For a toy that you own forever, won't wear down by constant use, and highly customizable, yeah I think it's worth the price that it's at. It also got a lot of new big features when compared to Warband after all. I think it's worth its price.

What I find silly is that some people consider video games more than an entertainment piece, yet complain about its relatively low price. If you think video games are more than entertainment piece, you wouldn't complain about a one-time charge of $50. Microsoft Office is like what? $70 per year? Nord VPN is $100 per year? Movie tickets cost $11 on average according to Google, and that's only a couple hours of entertainment. Video games last way longer. Many of you even claim you've played for more than a thousand hours. I live in a developing country, and Bannerlord costs roughly a month of electricity and internet, yet I don't think it's outrageous. How come you people living in the first world think it is? Don't you spend way more than that on food every week?

I'm of a horsebow/thumb release/right winger crowd 😁
Oh cool. Do you shoot on horseback?

I gave the game a negative review on Steam. My conclusion is simple, I like the game, I have more than 2k hours, but I can't recommend it.

It's not about the price/benefit of the game. It is about the unfinished of the game, that even though it can give you many hours of play like this, it does not imply that it is finished. The game wants to encompass many gameplay features, so it must at least be decent in all of them.

I know what an early is, but bannerlord surprised me.

It is one thing to have errors, another thing is to have shortcomings that one sees that the years go by and they are not made. It is a game for roleplay, but without tools for it, a game with hundreds of characters that tell you exactly the same thing.

Now, at launch, they put voices to the characters, a horrible and incompatible voice acting with the voices that the same characters have in battle, which also has bugs, they take time to speak or the voice audio can also be duplicated. How much time and money did they spend on this? and also, to make it look worse, like a 2010 game, because it reminds of oblivion's voice acting.

And I'm a fan of the game, not of what it is now, but of everything that can be good. And I think it's the collective feeling of the community that the game can become a work of art. It is my greatest wish, that the game is polished and can look back on all these complaints that we have had and can say "has been a while"

I gave the game a negative review on Steam. My conclusion is simple, I like the game, I have more than 2k hours, but I can't recommend it.

It's not about the price/benefit of the game. It is about the unfinished of the game, that even though it can give you many hours of play like this, it does not imply that it is finished. The game wants to encompass many gameplay features, so it must at least be decent in all of them.

I know what an early is, but bannerlord surprised me.

It is one thing to have errors, another thing is to have shortcomings that one sees that the years go by and they are not made. It is a game for roleplay, but without tools for it, a game with hundreds of characters that tell you exactly the same thing.

Now, at launch, they put voices to the characters, a horrible and incompatible voice acting with the voices that the same characters have in battle, which also has bugs, they take time to speak or the voice audio can also be duplicated. How much time and money did they spend on this? and also, to make it look worse, like a 2010 game, because it reminds of oblivion's voice acting.

And I'm a fan of the game, not of what it is now, but of everything that can be good. And I think it's the collective feeling of the community that the game can become a work of art. It is my greatest wish, that the game is polished and can look back on all these complaints that we have had and can say "has been a while"

Same man. You're speaking my mind there to the point.

This "so many hours spent so it is worth it" is becoming annoying to hear.

I gave this example before, let me write it down again. I spent so many times watching Game of Thrones while its seasons is airing yearly. After it ended, again i spent so many hours watching clips of earlier seasons. However, would i recommend someone to watch it, no fcking way after what they have done in the last three seasons.

Bannerlord is the same. You spent so many hours enjoying it but end of the day, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that makes you not recommend it to someone else.

Entertainment is not a math, it is not a equation of hours spent or something else.

Watching extended cut of LoTR which takes 12 hours gave me more entertainment than 500 hours BL. This is how i feel and your logical way of thinking can not do anything about it.

Last edited:
For a toy that you own forever, won't wear down by constant use, and highly customizable, yeah I think it's worth the price that it's at. It also got a lot of new big features when compared to Warband after all. I think it's worth its price.

What I find silly is that some people consider video games more than an entertainment piece, yet complain about its relatively low price. If you think video games are more than entertainment piece, you wouldn't complain about a one-time charge of $50. Microsoft Office is like what? $70 per year? Nord VPN is $100 per year? Movie tickets cost $11 on average according to Google, and that's only a couple hours of entertainment. Video games last way longer. Many of you even claim you've played for more than a thousand hours. I live in a developing country, and Bannerlord costs roughly a month of electricity and internet, yet I don't think it's outrageous. How come you people living in the first world think it is? Don't you spend way more than that on food every week?

You are making a good point about price I think. In terms of value for money video games are quite good if you compare them with other things you can do with money in your free time.

However you don't only compare products to what they are worth to you but also how they compare to similar products in terms of price. Apart from that there is also the thought wether the product is a rippoff or not. For exemple a bicycle sold for 600€ that is being produced in china for 50€.

I personally don't have a problem with bannerlords price. A lot of work has gone into it albeit in the wrong places. I would expect a functioning, fun game for that price though.

I understand the urge of treating the price as "bang-for-buck" when it comes to hours of entertainment.

What is mistakenly left out when you do this is that an hour of entertainment is not a unit of measure. An hour of entertainment from watching an engaging movie can pack in a lot more enjoyment than doing an hour of fetch quests at an MMO.

Ultimately, we should be comparing PRODUCTS. How does Bannerlord value-proposition stacks against other video games similarly priced?

I won't answer that, as it is a subjective answer. But at least now you are truly comparing apples to apples.

Not yet. Thats my next step. I spent few days on a horse ranch in Hungary this summer and owner gave me a contact for horse archery school. I hope my business activities will allow me to dedicate necessary time for this next summer 🖖

[...] also how they compare to similar products in terms of price. Apart from that there is also the thought wether the product is a rippoff or not[...] I would expect a functioning, fun game for that price though.
Sure, that's true. The point I'm trying to get across is that I find it silly that people are this upset over Bannerlord, often mentioning the price when doing so. It's as if they spent their life saving to buy this game, or that they've worked hard for years and got betrayed by Taleworlds. The reality is, they get a product that will function forever, for a one-time charge of $50, which is really not that expensive.

As for the functioning and fun part, well, Bannerlord does function and fun is relative. The game almost never crashes on me, and I have fun with it. Really, whether you can have fun with a particular activity is up to you. Bjorn there said he could have fun rewatching LOTR for 12 hours, and there are people who have fun by dancing on TikTok. These are both valid ways to have fun. They're not wrong. Same with people having fun with Bannerlord, but in these forums people will call you stupid or brainless "consoomers" if you say you like Bannerlord.

It's that kind of toxicity that I'm calling out. Why? Because it often leads to misinformation. There are people who claim that Bannerlord added nothing new to Warband and that it's actually inferior to it. Well, nope. Bannerlord added a lot of big and important features. The ability to easily mix-and-match mods, siege weapons, and armies are few of the big and really useful ones. This level of outrage is ridiculous.

Not yet. Thats my next step. I spent few days on a horse ranch in Hungary this summer and owner gave me a contact for horse archery school. I hope my business activities will allow me to dedicate necessary time for this next summer 🖖
Awesome. I hope things go well for you. It's really nice to see people going out of their way to actually do the things they want to do.

You should see my family and neighbors when I started with traditional archery several yers ago. Like "are you OK in your head?" 😁

lol I know right? This kind of hobbies will get you weird looks. That's why it's nice when people actually go and do it. I got the same reaction when I started chopping woods and making weapons out of them. I was planning to learn smithing to complement that, but I had to move from the mountain to the city. Can't really make a huge fire and pound on steel down here.

Yep,I understand. Everything is a state of mind. I can't pass a day without shooting my beloved hungarian horsebow 😍

This "so many hours spent so it is worth it" is becoming annoying to hear.

I gave this example before, let me write it down again. I spent so many times watching Game of Thrones while its seasons is airing yearly. After it ended, again i spent so many hours watching clips of earlier seasons. However, would i recommend someone to watch it, no fcking way after what i have done in the last three seasons.

Bannerlord is the same. You spent so many hours enjoying it but end of the day, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that makes you not recommend it to someone else.

Entertainment is not a math, it is not a equation of hours spent or something else.

Watching extended cut of LoTR which takes 12 hours gave me more entertainment than 500 hours BL. This is how i feel and your logical way of thinking can not do anything about it.

I agree. This, "I spent x" in there doesn't really prove anything by itself. I also think at a certain price point, it shouldn't just be "well, I got 50hrs out of it, so whatever". I'm of course not saying that every video game needs to have thousands of hours of good quality game time, just that using it as an argument by itself for how good a game is is just bizarre to me.

Back
Top Bottom