Relationship penalties when taking same culture settlements

Users who are viewing this thread

Playing the 1.5.8 beta, with the new pillaging system. When taking a settlement of the same culture, the player has no option but to show mercy. Annoyingly, this will still cause a relationship penalty with any cruel lords in the army.

This annoying as quite a lot of lords have the cruel trait and if you're playing Empire, you're gonna be taking a lot of Imperial settlements. Either there should be no relationship penalty as it is expected to show mercy, or the player should still have the option to pillage same culture settlements but will just incur massive morale penalties which could lead to troops deserting.

Honestly, I'm in favour of the latter. Regardless of culture, a properly cruel lord might not looking kindly upon the city for supporting a rival faction (or invaders if the city has been retaken from another faction).

Playing the 1.5.8 beta, with the new pillaging system. When taking a settlement of the same culture, the player has no option but to show mercy. Annoyingly, this will still cause a relationship penalty with any cruel lords in the army.

This annoying as quite a lot of lords have the cruel trait and if you're playing Empire, you're gonna be taking a lot of Imperial settlements. Either there should be no relationship penalty as it is expected to show mercy, or the player should still have the option to pillage same culture settlements but will just incur massive morale penalties which could lead to troops deserting.

Honestly, I'm in favour of the latter. Regardless of culture, a properly cruel lord might not looking kindly upon the city for supporting a rival faction (or invaders if the city has been retaken from another faction).
I agree with this. If your taking a same culture settlement, you are actually liberating it not conquering it. Lords of the same culture should also feel your liberating it and as such should expect you to be merciful. At the very least you shouldn't get negative relations with cruel lords when liberating a same culture settlement.

I conquered a city of my own culture (Vlandian) with mercenaries who are also Vlandian (Golden boar and Brotherhood of the woods). This caused a huge relationship penalty of -30 with Golden Boar and - 40 with Brotherhood of the Woods (3 x -10 and 4 x -10 for some reason; I am guessing because both companies had 3 and 4 members in my army respectively). This is literary a deal breaker at the moment as I am still unable to hire Lords. and mercenaries will not accept to fight with me again after this.

Back
Top Bottom