Resolved Reinforcements automatically charge upon spawn, defying existing orders to their groups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: In any battle, when a wave of your reinforcements arrives, it will immediately charge, even if the group it spawns into currently has other orders. For example, my cavalry in Group 3 have been issued a Follow command and are following me around. Some of my men die, and more cavalry spawn into Group 3. The cavalry who are already following me around will continue to follow me around, but the new cavalry that just spawned into the same group will not follow me, and will instead charge the enemy.

This causes massive, unnecessary casualties in large battles, often numbering in the hundreds—hundreds of troops lost in a single battle, exclusively due to this bug! Sometimes, a noble/companion is victim to this bug, causing their permanent death. This is one of the ~3 most devastating bugs in the game.

The player is not even notified that there is a new wave, nor that troops are beginning to charge. And even if the player notices, and tells them to retreat, they will ignore that retreat order unless a move or follow order is first given! This sub-bug makes it effectively impossible to instruct a given group of troops to retreat at the start of a 1000+ battle, to try to keep them out of the fight.

How to Reproduce: Fight a battle with 750 troops on each side. Tell all troops to follow you. Ride around the enemy until you lose enough troops for a new wave of your men to spawn. As soon as they spawn, ride away from the enemy. Watch as the new troops do not follow you, but instead charge.

Furthermore, after observing this aspect of the bug, issue a retreat order to all units. Note that the units which recently spawned ignore the retreat order, continuing to charge.

Have you used cheats and if so which: No

Summary: In any battle, when a wave of your reinforcements arrives, it will immediately charge, even if the group it spawns into currently has other orders. For example, my cavalry in Group 3 have been issued a Follow command and are following me around. Some of my men die, and more cavalry spawn into Group 3. The cavalry who are already following me around will continue to follow me around, but the new cavalry that just spawned into the same group will not follow me, and will instead charge the enemy.

This causes massive, unnecessary casualties in large battles, often numbering in the hundreds—hundreds of troops lost in a single battle, exclusively due to this bug! Sometimes, a noble/companion is victim to this bug, causing their permanent death. This is one of the ~3 most devastating bugs in the game.

The player is not even notified that there is a new wave, nor that troops are beginning to charge. And even if the player notices, and tells them to retreat, they will ignore that retreat order unless a move or follow order is first given! This sub-bug makes it effectively impossible to instruct a given group of troops to retreat at the start of a 1000+ battle, to try to keep them out of the fight.

How to Reproduce: Fight a battle with 750 troops on each side. Tell all troops to follow you. Ride around the enemy until you lose enough troops for a new wave of your men to spawn. As soon as they spawn, ride away from the enemy. Watch as the new troops do not follow you, but instead charge.

Furthermore, after observing this aspect of the bug, issue a retreat order to all units. Note that the units which recently spawned ignore the retreat order, continuing to charge.

Have you used cheats and if so which: No

Here is another good one. Fight a battle with like 2k+ on each side. You get the enemy to rout... As soon as you get that message you can't issue any commands any longer. So if you have groups set on charge, advance, etc they will keep do that. The enemy that is routing, it keep pop into the field reinforcements that need to be spawned on the field so they can rout. Now, you can watch helpless as your units get caught in this mess and slaughtered and do nothing about it at all...

Update: I made an error in the OP; units spawning into a group following a "follow me" order will follow that order. Evidently, only some orders (e.g. retreat) are affected by this bug. I don't have a comprehensive list of which ones do and don't.

Another update: looks like I didn't make an error, after all. Sometimes, they'll follow a "follow me" order when they spawn; other times, they won't. I wonder if it's related to which group it is?

I can't quite figure out this bug. The one test, when I'd given Group 4 a follow order, horse archers who later spawned into Group 4 joined the others in following me. But, just now, I had a battle where Group 8 was given a follow order, and units which later spawned into Group 8 ignored the order and did their own thing.

And with all groups, new spawns charge when spawning into groups which have been given a retreat order. What a mess! Again, this one causes me hundreds of unnecessary casualties.

Last edited:
Here is another good one. Fight a battle with like 2k+ on each side. You get the enemy to rout... As soon as you get that message you can't issue any commands any longer. So if you have groups set on charge, advance, etc they will keep do that. The enemy that is routing, it keep pop into the field reinforcements that need to be spawned on the field so they can rout. Now, you can watch helpless as your units get caught in this mess and slaughtered and do nothing about it at all...
TW has been unable figure out between their 3 active devs if this is a bug or not, needs more testing.

Another update: looks like I didn't make an error, after all. Sometimes, they'll follow a "follow me" order when they spawn; other times, they won't. I wonder if it's related to which group it is?
I was gonna mention something like this. I know in the past that usually (but not always) if I had HA in a hold position, reinforcements would spawn and move to join the formation. I haven't had enough troops in 1.5.10 to have reinforcement yet, so I don't if anything has changed personally.

The QA team informed me that they were unable to reproduce this issue in the most recent version of the game. Do you have a save file that we can try from just before the battle?
With your save file, we can reproduce the issue much easier and faster. For more information regarding how to send us your save files, you can check this thread out. You can find your save file here:
C:\Users\username\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

You can send your save files to us via upload.taleworlds.com site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Hi, I will mark the issue as resolved. If you encounter the same one in the latest version, please let me know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom