Regiments, battalions, companies etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

pod455

Squire
In which order were they and how did they work? (Regiments,Battalions, companies etc.)
I need this for a history project. I think im doing fine now, I got a A+ on my 1800's warfare :grin:

It goes from small to big:

Company
Battalion
Regiment
Brigade
Division
Corps
Army

(It's not very detailed and there are some groups under company)
Now, how big every one is differs from country and from time: A british battalion consisted of 10 companies; A French one consisted of nine in 1806, but of just six from about 1809.
And offcourse due to battle and deceases, formations were practically never up to full strength.

Sorry also in the UK they used platoons which is 1/2 companies. (Just in-case you were interested or wanted to add it) Not sure on other countries though.

GoblinOverlord said:
Common..... Knowledge? Am I stupid?  :sad:

Not at all. I think he meant common knowledge in the context of people who spend time researching armies of this era.

The system hasn't changed much from the late 17th century to the present day. Only the tactical applications of the unit sizes have changed.

Platoons for example used to be the lowest unit of soldiers, but now they can be subdivided into sections/squads and then into fire teams.

Army
Corps
Division
Brigade
Regiment
Battalion
Company(ies)
Platoon(s)
Halfplatoon(s)

Just adding in the smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom