regarding recruits

Users who are viewing this thread

WarCleric

Recruit
If you counquer a castle and its fiefs from anouther faction
you can still dont recruit soldiers from youre own faction from the fiefs.

this i think is quite irritating, in my opinion it would be better if you could recruit soldiers from youre own faction
even if the fiefs would be on territory that used to belong to an enemy faction

Well, it makes sense, since your own factions villagers wouldn't automatically spawn there right after you took over the village previously belonging to the Nords.

And besides, it's rather helpful. If you're a Rhodok lord/lady, and you take over a Swadian village, it'd be a good idea to train them into knights, so you have some sort of cavalry.

but you really dont need horse archers running arround and making a mess when youre trying to charge whit youre knights

atleast the culture could change after a while in a village if youre a generous and good govenour,
and after a month or so the people could accept they're goveners culture and let themselves
be trained into whatever kind of warrior that pleases they're govenour

my own factions villages cant ofcourse spawn there directly, but whit enough whipping even a nord can ride
a horse whit lance and armour :wink:

WarCleric said:
but you really dont need horse archers running arround and making a mess when youre trying to charge whit youre knights
The more helping out, the better, I think. And besides, They make good distractions.

atleast the culture could change after a while in a village if youre a generous and good govenour,
and after a month or so the people could accept they're goveners culture and let themselves
be trained into whatever kind of warrior that pleases they're govenour
That's a pretty good idea though. You would think that after a while of being led through a different culture than the one that they're used to, they'd get used to living as a Nord instead of a Rhodok.

xD distractions as in cannon fodder you mean...

Anyhow the AI is smart enuf not to hit your own units.

Kind of agree. Who says I can't take a Nord and train them to be a knight? The game is kind of bordering on racism, pre-determining everyone's fate based on what their faction name is. Kind of like saying black people level up to a gang member at level 12.  :lol:

Expanding on the culture affecting recruitment choice, it could be that after a year of good governance, a relatively unbroken line of successful quests, and a general display of awesomeness by the lord (most likely you, as the AI doesn't give a **** about fief management), a prompt screen would pop up, asking you which fighting style you want the fief to organize under: Rhodoks, Vaegirs, Swadians, Nords, or Khergits. Depending on which one you chose, you would then be able to recruit troops of that 'faction' type.

Edit: On review, it is apparent that choosing a style with no prerequisites is quite foolish. An expansion to the idea is that a prompt to convert the village 'culture' to your own faction type comes earlier than neutral faction prompts, and neutral faction prompts earlier than enemy faction prompts. Though that could present a problem, as wars are ever-shifting matter, with no definite victor and no permanent peace.

Lyze said:
Expanding on the culture affecting recruitment choice, it could be that after a year of good governance, a relatively unbroken line of successful quests, and a general display of awesomeness by the lord (most likely you, as the AI doesn't give a **** about fief management), a prompt screen would pop up, asking you which fighting style you want the fief to organize under: Rhodoks, Vaegirs, Swadians, Nords, or Khergits. Depending on which one you chose, you would then be able to recruit troops of that 'faction' type.

All recruits have the same stats(average weapon skills and no other abilities), so a khergit recruit could easily become a huscarl. In fact, proficiencies have no bearing on a troops style of fighting. Hired Blades are more skilled in polearms and archery yet use one handed swords and shields.

Lyze said:

Edit: On review, it is apparent that choosing a style with no prerequisites is quite foolish. An expansion to the idea is that a prompt to convert the village 'culture' to your own faction type comes earlier than neutral faction prompts, and neutral faction prompts earlier than enemy faction prompts. Though that could present a problem, as wars are ever-shifting matter, with no definite victor and no permanent peace.

I think it's fair that you could only train troops of your own faction as you wouldn't have the trainers skilled enough to train people like Hulscarls or Marksmen if you were e.g. a khergit.

I agree with WarCleric.

Picture this: you go to recruit men from a village you took over some time ago. You are offered say 5 of the enemy type troops and 2 of your own faction type.

That would make sense as whenever some nation or empire etc took over part of a foreign land, they usually would move in and settle there eventually or at least move in to run the government and keep down rebellion.

Plus it would keep me from having to travel all the damned way across the map to get my own faction troop type.

good idea, bythorsbeard.

bythorsbeard said:
Plus it would keep me from having to travel all the damned way across the map to get my own faction troop type.

Indeed.

I think the recruits from villages should promote into units of whatever faction you are.  If you are unaligned/neutral, they should just be called "villagers" and promote through the hired blade and caravan guard tree but be available from any village.  Once you join a faction, you can promote into your factions troops and they are called "Khergit Tribesman" or whatever and can only be recruited from your faction's villages.  Or they can always be called "Khergit Tribesman" or "Nord Recruit" but upgrade into watchman and follow the neutral troop tree if you are unaligned.

This makes the most sense since they are fighting in your army and learning to fight your way, so when they finally become experienced enough they would promote into your factions troops.  I always imagined the recruits and tribesmen were totally untrained in the ways of military.

Hardcore made a script that makes captured villages produce new owner's troop types after a day of ownership. not sure where you could get it, but you could find it then put it into Native, I'm sure.

what if instead of villagers being aligned to a faction, they are just neutral and then when you upgrade them for the first time, then you choose a path?

Mad Skillz said:
Hardcore made a script that makes captured villages produce new owner's troop types after a day of ownership. not sure where you could get it, but you could find it then put it into Native, I'm sure.

what??! are you sure you dont know where to find it?

are all the changes that are gonna be made to version 1.0 allready decided or is there
a chance the game developers could consider this suggestion?

I find using a mix of troops from different factions is better, because while Nords have good infantry, Swadians have good cavalry and Vaegirs have good missile troops. So personally, I'm against this idea.
If you look at it from a realistic point of view, it would take decades of occupation to make an impact on a culture, not a few days.

rageshrub said:
I find using a mix of troops from different factions is better, because while Nords have good infantry, Swadians have good cavalry and Vaegirs have good missile troops. So personally, I'm against this idea.
If you look at it from a realistic point of view, it would take decades of occupation to make an impact on a culture, not a few days.

Yeah, but your troops are fighting in YOUR army.  It makes more sense that they would learn to fight alongside you and like you.  When determining how someone fights, I am sure training has more significance than culture and your troop start as raw recruits.

I have an idea, why don't we make it a building? A sort of a culture conversion building, just like the manor and the school.

rageshrub said:

maybe dacades to change culture, but if whit enough whipping a man can become enything
and just becourse a man is born a "nord", doesent mean he has a sign that says "i cant ride a horse" on his fourhead

and the building idea is quite good to,
then you could decide witch way you would want it

Back
Top Bottom