Red Sqaure error or bug or something HELP PLEASE

Users who are viewing this thread

BlitZBaK

Recruit
i have a massive red square when i load into the main screen ( starting menu) and cant clink on anything nothing works , any ideas ?
3AA5D6B335ABE7952F3118D744F9B4470EAFDDC8

Try to go to Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs and post what settings you have in the file: engine_config.

What kind of video card are you using?

Are you using mods?

EDIT: Also you are not alone:
mishamalyshev said:
Yeah, I cant play either. Everything was working great before today's update. I cant get to the main story window, d3d_device_context..... Red square filling 1/4 of my screen to right corner. And my game continues to run in the background even when I quit steam.

GPU Radeon rx 580
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700 eight core

Try to go to Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs and post what settings you have in the file: engine_config.

What kind of video card are you using?

Are you using mods?

EDIT: Also you are not alone:
number_of_ragdolls = 3
max_simultaneous_sound_event_count = 1
invert_mouse = 0
foliage_quality = 3
decal_quality = 3
texture_filtering = 4
graphics_adapter = 0
first_time = 0
brightness_calibrated = 0
texture_budget = 2
texture_quality = 2
show_framerate = 0
max_framerate = 200
cheat_mode = 0
water_quality = 2
display_width = 1920
display_height = 1080
display_mode = 1
selected_monitor = 0
force_vsync = 0
enable_cloth_simulation = 1
enable_flora_sway = 1
shader_quality = 2
postfx_dof = 1
postfx_sssss = 1
postfx_ssr = 1
postfx_bloom = 1
postfx_sunshafts = 1
postfx_streaks = 0
postfx_hexagon_vignette = 0
postfx_vignette = 0
postfx_grain = 1
postfx_lens_flares = 0
postfx_chromatic_aberration = 0
postfx_motion_blur = 1
tesselation = 1
particle_quality = 1
particle_detail = 1
terrain_quality = 2
shadowmap_type = 2
shadowmap_filtering = 1
shadowmap_resolution = 2
disable_sound = 0
sound_device = 0
sound_output = 0
resolution_scale = 100
enable_dynamic_resolution_scale = 0
dynamic_resolution_fps_target = 60
lighting_quality = 2
antialiasing_technique = 4
environment_detail = 3
character_detail = 3
safely_exited = 1
enable_controller_vibration = 1
weapon_trail_amount = 0.5000
display_refresh_rate = 60.0000
master_volume = 1.0000
music_volume = 1.0000
sound_volume = 1.0000
mouse_sensitivity_coefficient = 0.5000
gamma = 2.2000
sharpen_amount = 0.0000
control_mouse_movement_y_scale = 1.5000
control_mouse_movement_max_accumulation = 40.0000
control_mouse_movement_accumulation_decay_speed = 100.0000
brightness = 50.0000
brightness_min = -0.1560
brightness_max = 0.8590
exposure_compensation = 0.0000
antialiasing_technique = 4
occlusion_technique = 1

the only mod i downloaded was BannerlordTweaks-49-1-1-3-1586450007

ya they are i check, so reinstall the game without mods ?
Try to set max_framerate=30 (just to test) and launch game. The issue can of course be one of thousands, but it's always worth a shot to reinstall without mods yea. Make sure to delete the entire Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\ folder.

Try to set max_framerate=30 (just to test) and launch game. The issue can of course be one of thousands, but it's always worth a shot to reinstall without mods yea. Make sure to delete the entire Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\ folder.

it didnt will try reinstall will comment of worked , thanks for the help

reinstalling didnt work hey

Try DDU, run it in safe mode, uninstall all the drivers, download your latest chipset (you can download the latest driver from your CPU's manufacturer website) and GPU drivers and do a clean install. See if that helps.

Some context... sorry this is long but there might be a solution below...
So I started to get this too. I have almost 200 hours across mp and sp. Ran great on Very High. However, in the last couple of weeks I progressively got more and more d3d_device_context errors. And today it decides to do this big red box after the videos that you described. It's as if it slowly corrupted itself into a corner.

I've tried more than enough troubleshooting for the d3d errors with driver and game re installs, messing with game and GPU settings, underclocking, and other various suggestions so going this backwards was pretty demoralizing.

Potential solution though...
One thing I'm seeing now though is that deleting/removing the file (compressed_shader_cache.sack) from this folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders\D3D11) stops the red square issue from occurring for me.

I've played with removing and re adding that file as suggested in another thread in an attempt to troubleshoot the d3d errors without any noticeable change but I think the red square started happening today after I re added it at some point or after a total reinstall of the game.

So BlitZBaK, try removing that file from that folder and then start the game. It seems to have worked for me even though it wasn't a problem in the past. I still get the d3d errors but I'm at least past the startup sequence now and continue troubleshooting those.

Also, I have an entirely different GPU (Nvidia) than BlitZBaK and havent touched mods so far, and the game has run mostly fine on Very High for 190+ hours, so I don't think this is related to those things specifically but who knows.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB RAM, i7-6700k 4GHz, bannerlord version e1.4.0.229571

I hope this is useful, good luck.

The problem was fixed for me by deleting the folders:
  • C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord
  • X:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders
Deleting only the shaders folder in Steam was not enough. There is another shaders folder within the C:\ path above, so delete both. Note the X:\ path will be different on your computer and will depend on where your Steam games are installed. To find it right click the launch icon in steam and select "Browse local files".

Back
Top Bottom