Recruits shouldn't require XP to upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

I understand unit progression is important to the game. What doesn't make sense is why some hillbilly farmer needs to prove himself in combat to earn the usage of a shield. It's a wooden board, there are legitimately 50 denar shields that are just planks of wood stuck together. Let me pay for his equipment and boost himself to T2. If he turns into an archer why does he need to experience combat with a sword or a spear anyways? Just give him a bow and let him practice. I would gladly pay 200 denars to boost recruits into T2 units.

A functional training skill/perk is glaringly missing. I'm tired of spending 80% of my gameplay time chasing bands of looters across the map, especially considering the AI lords get passive xp gain for their troops. It's annoying, not fun and unfair.

A functional training skill/perk is glaringly missing. I'm tired of spending 80% of my gameplay time chasing bands of looters across the map, especially considering the AI lords get passive xp gain for their troops. It's annoying, not fun and unfair.

That is my main gripe with the game right now. Number 2 would be the combat physics that feel a bit off, number 3 the value of equipment when compared to everything else which does not make any sense. But lack of passive training is definitely number 1.

I'd like to see a training function for the Training Center now that you mention it.

Maybe mock battles with the trainers for a small fee? Or a Passive XP gain boost that triggers while waiting at the center? It'd be pretty immersive I think.

recruits need xp to be upgraded, that is in the word "recruit".

did you know you can put your higher tier troops into a the archer group? and just let the recruits fight the looters? everytime i use that mechanic i got at least 3 upgradeable recruits, but mostly 5.

recruits need xp to be upgraded, that is in the word "recruit".

did you know you can put your higher tier troops into a the archer group? and just let the recruits fight the looters? everytime i use that mechanic i got at least 3 upgradeable recruits, but mostly 5.
What XP is he getting? The recruit is fighting with a single sword. How does this better prepare him to use a spear/sword and shield? How does this prepare him to be a horse archer, or a crossbowman, or an archer? Do you think sword swinging at looters helps people aim a bow better?

I feel like the entire warband system of levelling troops up individually via XP falls flat on its face when the lowest level guys are so bad and so prevalent. Seeing the king's army meet you in battle where most of his men don't have shields or even a bladed weapon, it's just laugh-inducing.

I think this game sorely needs to separate levels and equipment. There should be some way of changing their weapons and armour without actually having to level them up, with appropriate pricing. Right now it just feels like you're dragging around a bunch of naked guys half the time.

Warband had a Trainer function that added passive XP while time passed. I liked that, and it made "training the trainer" important.

While I like the concept of separating gear and troops' level progress, functionally it would put the player in the market half the game, buying equipment and deciding who gets what, instead of chasing Looters half the game, which as stated above, is currently the case. No improvement there.

I feel like the entire warband system of levelling troops up individually via XP falls flat on its face when the lowest level guys are so bad and so prevalent. Seeing the king's army meet you in battle where most of his men don't have shields or even a bladed weapon, it's just laugh-inducing.

I think this game sorely needs to separate levels and equipment. There should be some way of changing their weapons and armour without actually having to level them up, with appropriate pricing. Right now it just feels like you're dragging around a bunch of naked guys half the time.

Warband had a Trainer function that added passive XP while time passed. I liked that, and it made "training the trainer" important.

While I like the concept of separating gear and troops' level progress, functionally it would put the player in the market half the game, buying equipment and deciding who gets what, instead of chasing Looters half the game, which as stated above, is currently the case. No improvement there.

This wouldn't necessarily require the player to be in the market. The way I envisioned this when I read it is a separate button for armor upgrade and level upgrade in the party screen. So you have 5 recruits, you can upgrade their armor to tier 6 of whatever class you eventually want them to be. They're still recruits though, so they arent going to be very fast in that heavy armor, or effective with that two handed axe, and if they die that money is gone. So it would be a balancing act for the commander, do I pay for better armor for these yokels and potentially get no return on investment when they die horribly, or do I wait until they've leveled a few times and make sure they're worth it?

I would actually love a system like that, but I'm pretty sure it would be a cluster sometimes.

A system where you group troops into units and equip them that way would be a lot less annoying. People tend not to micromanage their troop types anyway, they just want a bunch of good crossbows or a bunch of horse archers or whatever. I wouldn't even mind if these units shared experience between them (and then slowly lost it if you have to recruit more guys into it), because as the player you never really pay attention to the xp of individuals anyway, you just want them to level up.

A system where you group troops into units and equip them that way would be a lot less annoying. People tend not to micromanage their troop types anyway, they just want a bunch of good crossbows or a bunch of horse archers or whatever. I wouldn't even mind if these units shared experience between them (and then slowly lost it if you have to recruit more guys into it), because as the player you never really pay attention to the xp of individuals anyway, you just want them to level up.
That would be fantastic system as well, and I remember a few warband mods that did just that. I think that would be a huge function change for the dev's, though. I was aiming for something that could still be based on the troop tree setup the game currently has.

Back
Top Bottom