Recruit

Users who are viewing this thread

Thing with the recruit is that TaleWorlds insists on the Recruit being as pathetic as they are due to adhere to the lore that the Calradian Empire has such a massive army that they have more soldiers than they have the resources to adequately train and equip them.

My suggestion for giving them AI companions in Skirmish/Siege/TDM is so that their wimpy weapons can be numerous enough to actually be a threat while other peasants remain as strong as they are.

Don't know how they want them to look, I know how they work, and they didn't, everybody avoids them in multi so in the end there are non.

Don't know how they want them to look, I know how they work, and they didn't, everybody avoids them in multi so in the end there are non.
Working as intended as per TaleWorlds. Honestly, i've given up on the notion that the Recruit will one day be a competitive alternative to other peasants, and that the Menavlion Infantry, Archer Militia, and Cataphract will need to be buffed to compensate for having a downside called "ragequit if you die as these units"

Pretty much all skirmisher units that use throwing weapons are pretty terrible at actually throwing their weapons. This is strictly for Captain Mode but it essentially means picking any skirmisher unit is a detriment to any team that has them. If they used their throwing weapons quicker, they might end up being somewhat viable at a later date.

Pretty much all skirmisher units that use throwing weapons are pretty terrible at actually throwing their weapons. This is strictly for Captain Mode but it essentially means picking any skirmisher unit is a detriment to any team that has them. If they used their throwing weapons quicker, they might end up being somewhat viable at a later date.
Javelins are getting nerfed further, and the upcoming e1.7.2 update confirms what I already know: The Imperial Recruit being unplayably bad is an intentional design decision.

I think the only time I can recall the Recruit being playable if not decent was when he had the Pugio.

Actually, I think I might know how TaleWorlds could potentially make the Recruit not suck. With e1.7.2 introducing multiple variations of Improved Armor, I think I can think of one that could fit well for the naked conscript, as a potential replacement for the Better Shield perk. I still think "Footwork" should be replaced with "Reinforcements" in all modes except duel btw

Footwork replaced with Survival Instinct
Proposed flavour text: As a conscript of a woefully underequipped army, your best companion is your refusal to die.
+5 Armor (Should be on par with other peasants)
+60% more accurate while moving
+5% Movement Speed

Shield Wall replaced with Reinforcements (all modes except Duel)
See this post for more info

As of e1.7.1, the only perk 2 perk worth grabbing for the Recruit is Longer Sword, since the Gladius will only succeed in getting you killed because you missed your javelin throws, and you realistically won't ever live long enough to see your shield take more than 80 damage. My suggestion for buffing Footwork to also give armor is to provide a version of Improved Armor that could still work well within the confines of Bannerlord's lore, and is arguably more lore-friendly than believing that a quartermaster can give a fresh recruit a decent weapon.

The idea of "Survival Instinct" is to be a combination of an armor perk and the admittedly worthless Footwork perk, which I think can be handwaved as the conscript's survival instincts kicking in.

Last edited:
Triple post because people like to cite skill issue regarding my complaints about Recruit's terribleness, I don't think it's "skill issue" if I'm able to chop down several recruits in one life using the useless meme perk weapons. The fact that I am able to get away with this killstreak should be indicative of how wimpy the Recruit's arsenal is, considering that i'm not even all that great in the game myself.

gRvR2Fr.jpeg

The fact that recruits can die easily to an intentionally bad weapon should probably be indicative of how absolutely worthless the Imperial peasant is compared to other 100 or sub-100 cost units.

Back
Top Bottom