Recovering from casualties almost impossible in this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

My issue is that I feel like the game doesn't give you a solid way of replenishing your forces other than mostly tier 1 units, even in late game.
But that clearly isn't the experience for some other players like @Apocal for some reason. He claims his cities are always abundant with t2-t3 units.
Never paid a ton of attention to the mechanics of troop replenishment, but I've found certain notables reliably have better troops, as in I can do a recruitment loop and hit them twice and they'll have good troops both times. I assume it's connected to their power etc. But it's all very random and out of my control, and I agree that as a higher level clan there isn't a reason we shouldn't be able to set up a barracks that spits out at least tier 2 soldiers. I'm sorry but I would never in real life lead a group armed with kitchen knives and pitchforks into battle, that's not where basic training is supposed to happen. Even if we have to grab the recruits and drop them of for training.

I will never play ANY game on a difficulty that is not hardest. NEVER.

Think maybe you should. I don't see much point of anyone playing the hardest difficulty if they can't cope with it or handle it, and feel a need to complain that this or that feature makes it too demanding.

My issue is that I feel like the game doesn't give you a solid way of replenishing your forces other than mostly tier 1 units, even in late game.

Well that's probably because the game doesn't want to give you everything ready on a silver platter. Why don't you just train troops yourself, keep them in a castle as reserves, and take them to your party when you need them? And avoid battles which could cause heavy casualties?

Just before u go crazy figthing big armies..spend some time recruting and upgrading ur troops..fight looters/bandits small clans and try get the high tear troops and then upgrade them..the khuzait are very good to recruit :smile:

Inappropriate language
Think maybe you should. I don't see much point of anyone playing the hardest difficulty if they can't cope with it or handle it, and feel a need to complain that this or that feature makes it too demanding.

Well that's probably because the game doesn't want to give you everything ready on a silver platter. Why don't you just train troops yourself, keep them in a castle as reserves, and take them to your party when you need them? And avoid battles which could cause heavy casualties?
I think you are really stupid, or can't read.
I explained at least 3 or 4 times that it's actually very easy to beat the game by relying on bandits and getting a huge army of Khan's guards or Sea raiders or Fians.
F**k off

I explained at least 3 or 4 times that it's actually very easy to beat the game by relying on bandits and getting a huge army of Khan's guards or Sea raiders or Fians.
F**k off

While I get the infuriation about bandit troops leveling into god-tier warriors, you'll find 10 average recruits if you have good relations with a settlement and it's not the frontlines of a war. Now true in late-game, there probably needs to be a auto-recruiter so you don't have to go village-to-village.

But in actually leveling these recruits, just throw 200 T1's at a 80-100 man Lord. Half will die but most who survive will level up, once they've got a shield who really cares what else they've got.

Elite troops are *almost* never worth getting anyway, for every T6 unit I have, I could have a T5 in my army, and another T5 waiting to take his place should the worst happen.

Better yet, I could have one T4 in my army, and three T4's waiting to replace him. Considering how little difference there is, just take T2-4 and at most T5 for cavalry for instance.

You'll notice very little difference in effectiveness, your costs will half, and your replenishment rate will sky-rocket.

While I get the infuriation about bandit troops leveling into god-tier warriors, you'll find 10 average recruits if you have good relations with a settlement and it's not the frontlines of a war. Now true in late-game, there probably needs to be a auto-recruiter so you don't have to go village-to-village.

But in actually leveling these recruits, just throw 200 T1's at a 80-100 man Lord. Half will die but most who survive will level up, once they've got a shield who really cares what else they've got.

Elite troops are *almost* never worth getting anyway, for every T6 unit I have, I could have a T5 in my army, and another T5 waiting to take his place should the worst happen.

Better yet, I could have one T4 in my army, and three T4's waiting to replace him. Considering how little difference there is, just take T2-4 and at most T5 for cavalry for instance.

You'll notice very little difference in effectiveness, your costs will half, and your replenishment rate will sky-rocket.
What do you mean by "elite"? do you mean regular t5 or t6 units? if so I agree, they are really not worth getting at all.
If you mean Noble tree line units, they are definetly worth getting.
Khan's guards eat any horse archer for breakfast with their 260 in bow and double quivers.
Same goes to Fian champions and same goes to the rest of the unique tree line troops.

What do you mean by "elite"? do you mean regular t5 or t6 units? if so I agree, they are really not worth getting at all.
If you mean Noble tree line units, they are definetly worth getting.
Khan's guards eat any horse archer for breakfast with their 260 in bow and double quivers.
Same goes to Fian champions and same goes to the rest of the unique tree line troops.

Any T5 ranged unit worth a lot (they are OP), and some infantry T5 units like legionaries or Heavy Axemen also worth, so not sure why you find them bad.

Concerning the main topic, recovering from losses is actually as easy as the whole game. Sure, it is harder to get +T2 units from villages of these factions which usually lose wars (Empire kingdoms), but getting higher tier units from other kingdoms is not hard. Get Combat Tips perk and you will have one extra slot for recruiting units in villages with same MC culture, which is pretty useful.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why not?

That's true but... you can afford three T3 horse archers for the cost of one KG and those three guys will outperform the KG almost all of the time.
But my party is always full with Khan's guards from mid game on, it's not like I compromise on quantity for better quality, I get both very easily.
There is no point in getting anything lower than this when I can easily recruit Steppe bandits and almost immediately upgrade them to Keshigs then Khan's guards.
If I had to train them every time from T1 noble unit, then yeah sure I wouldnt bother.

Now before people start to say I contradict myself, no I don't, I think it's very easy to defeat the game by utilizing bandits, however I do think that relying on recruitment from towns is too hard or too grindy.

I don't know, I think what I wrote makes much more sense and useful than any other thing you wrote lol

> plays the game at the hardest difficulty

> complains about the difficulty of a feature
> Tries to troll non stop
> Fails to do so
> Writes more nonsense that has zero contribution to the discussion and tries again to troll

Just stop littering this threat with your posts please, your comments are not achieving anything, its obvious you are trying to elicit some angry responses from me, but I wont give you the pleasure so please stop littering the thread.

> Tries to troll non stop
> Fails to do so
> Writes more nonsense that has zero contribution to the discussion and tries again to troll

Just stop littering this threat with your posts please, your comments are not achieving anything, its obvious you are trying to elicit some angry responses from me, but I wont give you the pleasure so please stop littering the thread.
so, you are playing on the hardest diffficulty and say I won't play any game other than hardest difficulty AND COMPLAIN WHY A FEATURE IS SO HARD

bro you just made my day
and this is even funnier, you literally call people stupid and say f**k off and say I won't give some angry responses, lmfao

so, you are playing on the hardest diffficulty and say I won't play any game other than hardest difficulty AND COMPLAIN WHY A FEATURE IS SO HARD

bro you just made my day
OK i made your day, thank you for another useless comment.

I mean the question comes down to "how much time does TW want players to lose when they... lose?".

Obviously, there will be some time lost and progress lost, but right now in the "Early-mid game" either before you get a castle of before you have significant leadership skill and spare troops lying around, if you lose you lose "hours". The auto-save defaults to half an hour so clearly TW doesn't want players set back that far.

My two cents:

You don't have to recover from huge casualties if you plan your battles carefully. The most important thing in this game is campaign movement speed. This is why Khuzaits steamroll the map. If you have a fast army you can choose where you fight and who you fight. Isolate enemy lords outnumbering them 2vs1 suffering less than 10% casualties, upgrade your units and move on.

Never participate in battles to help the AI. Don't use your main army to siege. Spend your influence to fight sieges with AI armies and a bunch of recruits of your own. Bring leadership up to 150 and start bringing noble troops to your army.

This is the way to go. In my campaigns my main army is about 80% T5-T6. Don't be like the AI, veterans are worth every penny they cost, bloodbaths only benefits the AI not you.

I felt that this issue can be easily dealt with by simply increasing the survival chance of higher tier or high armor units. They should also lower the death rates when the last hits aren't on the vital spots such as head, and neck.

On a side note, these overwhelming and mindless raiding from the AI gets boring. I know it isn't easy to enlighten the AI decision making, but I felt that everyone that plays BL wants to play against big military campaigns, potentially alliance vs alliance. Indeed, isn't the background story of Calradia is about alliance war?

Anyhow, hardly any TW developers will care about these users opinions. It seems to me now, that their EA is just pushing out a 20% finished game to grab the money first, then take whatever time they felt like to launch a full release. There are tons of minor errors and missing features aren't fixed since EA, and this makes you concern their determination to finish this game. I love this game, and I had spent over 1000 hours in this game, but I had lost faith in TW. I doubt there will be any substantial contents within the 2 years.

Hi everyone,
I am not sure if this has been discussed before. So far I have been really enjoying the game, I honestly think it's one of my favorite games.
Nevertheless, I want to bring up this issue that has been bothering me for some time, and it's actually something that by all means ruins the fun in the game for me.

The issue is, it's almost impossible for the player (not the AI though), to recover after suffering a substantial number of casualties.
Why?
Because unlike other games where your troops are recruited and managed in stacks or blocks, and when a block suffers casualties, as long as it wasn't completely wiped out it will slowly recover and regain its numbers, in Bannerlord every unit is individual and so when that unit dies its gone for good.

So what's the issue? Please bear with me for a few minutes.

The issue is that after a painful bloody siege or a 1000vs1000 bloodbath (without teleporting your archers via tab+retreat which I don't even know why is allowed, or save scumming or a combination of both), you are inevitably going to suffer a staggering number of casualties and many of your tier 5 or 6 troops you worked so hard and for HOURS to train from filthy farmers into knights in shiny armor, are going to die and be gone for good.
And here is actually where the problem is, after playing so many playthroughs I realized you just can't recover from this, because when you go back with your bleeding army to your cities and towns you are going to find for the most part pathetic tier 1 farmers that you have to train again all the way up to tier 5 or 6, and you are effectively starting again from scratch like in the first hour of your playthrough.

So unless I am missing something, why is there not a reliable system that allows you to upgrade your city barracks or something so it will only spawn say tier 3 or 4 troops and above?
I know there is the option of putting troops in your garrison and they will gain XP but I tested it and it takes too long.
So long that you wont be able to keep up with the constant waves of AI controlled armies filled with top tier cataphracts, top tier infantry, endless hordes of horse archers and what not, that just keep coming back.

Why do you have to go back and find miserable tier 1 farmers in your cities while the AI on the other hand magically comes back with high tier troops as if nothing had happened?
I wont even discuss a completely separate issue of lords escaping from your dungeons or being ransomed ridiculously fast that your only option is to execute them if you don't want to deal with what I have just mentioned...

So after playing for many hours in different playthroughs, the way I see it, you have a few options to deal with the lack of a reliable system that lets you recruit high tier troops, and none of them are really what I would consider a solution to this problem.

1) Cheese the HELL out of the game.
Recruit 100+ archers, train them to be Fian champions or Vlandian sharpshooters or whatever, massacre the enemy troops and when they get too close with their 800+ troops, hold tab and click retreat and rinse and repeat.
Still took too many casualties to your liking? reload the save and try again!

2) Suffer the casualties and try and fill the gaps with prisoners you just freed and recruited.

3) Base your party on bandits that have decent gear to begin with, decent stats and most importantly, always available almost anywhere on the map AND 100% free.
(and you can later upgrade them to elite troops after you reach level 150 in leadership)

So
option 1) completely breaks the game and I don't see why someone would want to continue playing the game like this (not even sure why the game lets you do it in the first place, teleportation that is)

option 2) doesn't always work, you are not always going to free prisoners that you can recruit, and even if you are successful in this, your army is going to end up as a nasty mixture of troops from all kinds of cultures, and that's not something everyone would want. If I chose to play Vlandians, its because in that playthrough I want to have my archers as Vlandian crossbowmen, my heavy cavalry Champions and Vanguards. If I play Sturgia I want to have nice Viking-like/Rus Axemen with large shields etc etc.. I dont want after a few hours into the game forget what culture I am playing, its understood.

option 3) is the only way I have been able to survive on realistic difficulty and deal with all the issues I have mentioned.
This is exactly how I have played my recent playthroughs. When I played Khuzait, I only recuirted steppe raiders and upgraded them to Khan's guards.
When I wanted to form a Viking like kingdom I solely relied on Sea raiders for infantry and some forest bandits as archers etc etc...

Please let me know what you think about this topic

F**k off

And you are a little kid whining when he doesn't know how to play the game.

If it's that easy for you why don't you then complain about that. What you are doing you're complaining about not having a system like the AI has which would give you ready made heroes to replenish the ones you lost in actually somewhat difficult battles. The AI is dumb and it needs to have benefits so it can offer a challenge against an average human player - which, it looks like, is a category you fall under.

I'm tired of kids like you crying "Baahaa mommy the game is not fair make the game easier!!!" You f**k off.

Back
Top Bottom