Recommended difficulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

AstroCat

Recruit
Hi, I've owned the game for a long time, but with the latest beta patch thought I'd give it a go.

I'm trying to get a handle on the best difficulty settings for me to have a good balanced learning game.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

After some research and homework, I think I'm going with these settings to start out. Auto allocation is turned off as well.
Open for feedback!

w1wgkboh.jpg

Hi AstroCat,

I prefer to play everything on Bannerlord because it actually just makes everything equal and does not give any advantages to you as the player or your troops which I kind of prefer as I also used to play called a game Kenshi which was similar in that regard.

The way the game works is you would also be able to mitigate some of the difficulty through how you build your character. For example if you took the athletic perk mighty blow and got over 200 hitpoints and the best armor which you could move well with high athletics in a way you would already drastically reduce player damage far beyond 25%

With friendly troops you can boost their hitpoints and armor to a very limited extent.

Recruitment can be enhanced by doing quests for notables and joining a kingdom as a vassal or mercenary or taking same culture recruit bonuses

Persuasion success can be improved with charm and one athletics perk

Combat AI cannot be altered, it depends on the level they have but it affects all ai and if you practice in the arena your higher skill will make them relatively easier to beat.

You can reduce clan member death possibility by assigning them carefully into safer roles. equiping them well and having a high medicine skill.
This also applies to the hero as well.

Overall most of your presets appear to be very similar to bannerlord, I would imagine if you wanted to play realistic I would make a character with high athletics, medicine and scouting and practice a lot in the arena. You could also pick Battanian culture to move faster in the forest.

With how you build your character it is possible to drop the difficulty over time in many ways I think that is why most people like to play Bannerlord once they are familiar.

Overall your difficulty present looks pretty good, it would be probably be good for making some super hero character that could solo armies because ai and player damaged is reduced after a while you might find you are very potent and if it gets too easy you can always change the difficulty later on in the game.

Last edited:
Depends on your preferences. Do you play modded or vanilla? Do you like tournaments or battles? Do you use a shield or twohanded or do you like ranged?

I'm only playing on "Bannerlord", with otherwise full RBM mod without the tournament module (so you have fully armored high tier enemies in tournaments from start), without reticle. It is a bit more difficult than vanilla because the AI is better in blocking, but it is more satisfying when you defeat people in tournaments. Generally, for me a slash or thrust with full force has to kill unarmored opponents in one or two hits, otherwise it's not "immersive".

In battles the difficulty does not matter that much in my experience, it's chaos and situational all over. As ranged is very strong in vanilla and armor rather weak, a decrease of the damage to the player might be advisable, to avoid some stray arrows kill you quickly and make you are mere bystander of the ongoing fight.

I would not change the party speed to the easier settings, the map already feels a bit small.

You can adjust difficulty kidgame by pausing the game and selecting "campain options" at any time.
Why would you set combat AI difficulty to "Normal" (easy) and Player recieved damage to very easy but the rest to hard???

Wouldn't it be more fun to set the combat AI to Veteran or Master but lower recruitment bonus or friendly troop damage as a counter balance if it's too hard?

I wanted to play on what I thought was the normal difficulty, so I set everything to realistic and, just like in Warband, that turned out to be the hardest/Bannerlord difficulty. At any rate, it was a very familiar early game experience of being repeatedly arrested by Forest Bandits until I was dead broke and needing to compete in the Arena for money, but once I got some Grains and could afford some Battanian Volunteers to carry some cheap trade goods, I managed to get out of abject poverty and gradually complete my first playthrough to unification.

I wouldn't recommend it for those with a low tolerance for failure, but I'd TOTALLY recommend it for those that love it when the game doesn't hold back and love to actively create their comeback/success stories in brutally punishing scenarios. You only have one first playthrough, and it'll most likely be your hardest by virtue of being your first, so you might as well go all the way! :grin:

After some research and homework, I think I'm going with these settings to start out. Auto allocation is turned off as well.
Open for feedback!

w1wgkboh.jpg
If you're coming to grips with the game I'd play on Easy/Warrior difficulty. Playing on Very Easy really just trivializes the game to a point where you aren't even learning anything; in-fact it probably creates bad expectations since you can easily F1+F3 pretty much any situation.

While I understand the temptation to lower player damage (especially when you get hit by a surprise projectile) anything less than 50% is silly. You might as well be invulnerable at 25% really. You're not meant to be a super hero in this game, you're just another person.

That said I would not hold it against someone for disabling Clan Member death since it can be difficult to get new companions with certain skills, and Hero death in general is way too random. It should be more conditional, like taking a lot of damage, or headshots only. Though the chance is pretty low by default these days.

Ultimately Bannerlord should be played on Bannerlord difficulty; in Ironman mode. That's how this sort of game is meant to be played, because other than death there really is no "game-over" scenario. Lost your 250 man elite party? Deal with it. Lost your fief? Deal with it. Couldn't get your waifu/husbando of choice? Deal with it OR just pay their Dad a lot of money, medieval style.

However Bannerlord is still too much of work-in-progress and or buggy for me to honestly recommend turning on Ironman mode. Best thing to do is try and practice self-discipline about "save-scumming".

Like Yoshioki said you'll appreciate the game as a whole more when you really embrace the occasional failure. Saving the game all the time so you never lose is it's own kind of cheese. But all that said even I wouldn't play Ironman style all the time, cause sometimes you just want to have a more Alexander the Great kind of campaign.

You're not meant to be a super hero in this game, you're just another person.
In theory this sounds like an awesome idea!
In practice it means that once you face 4 or more opponents on foot, this game gets ridiculously hard!
And a single mistake can kill you.

In practice it means that once you face 4 or more opponents on foot, this game gets ridiculously hard!

But the game doesn't really put you in that situation. You can choose to be in that situation, and with higher tier gear and weapons you can afford some mistakes, but you can also avoid it.

You can complete a world conquest or the campaign without ever getting KOed if you're reasonably cautious, while still participating in fairly heavy combat with your character.

Different strokes I guess, but I prefer Bannerlord setting and like having my character have minimal advantages over NPCs. Although you still get some big ones with perks and lordly prefix gear and so on.

Maybe a 1v4 is hard as normal human?

But whatever, it´s a single player game. Just choose the settings you enjoy the most.

If you have some experience with BL I suggest you use the max difficulty to have a more challenging game. However, I always put "Map Movement Speed" always on very easy because I don't like how much time you need to go from a place to another. Also, you may disable hero death if you don't want to face against a remarkable death of lord when they get old

Back
Top Bottom