Recommended Difficulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Don7x

Recruit
As a new player to M&B, I notice the default difficult is "Easy" (1/2 damage, etc).  While I would assume most players just re-adjust the difficult settings to "normal" at some point after they've completed the training scenarios, it does feel odd playing the game with a seemingly unfair advantage. 

What is the recommended difficult setting for newer players?

Well, I played on 20% difficulty rating on my first two games, and I still had some trouble. So if I were you, I'd do that.

Depends on your mindset I guess. If you don't mind "not being the hero" for quite a while, you can increase settings to harder immediately. Should make the transition to multiplayer easier as well.

Max enemy AI behavior difficulty (Because if not, the enemy troops are like retarded cows)
Slowest battles (this makes the battle a lot more tactical)
Average campaign difficulty (The modders of AD1257 said that this is the best choice)
All damages at maximum (For realism)

This is the best selection.

I like to play at 1/4 damage, and everything else maxed. Game is more fun when you are able to live longer and play it like dynasty warrior. This, in combination with health regen in the Silverstag mod, is outrageously fun.

I put friendly troop damage at full (otherwise something like Swadian Knights are crazy good), battle AI at full (still sucks, but better), campaign AI at full (just makes faction vs faction warfare harder, much more fun for me as it adds a slightly bit of challenge to the mid-game), lancing stuff at full (for transition to MP and practice), combat speed at medium (below is painfully slow and makes it stupidly easy to block, horrible for any MP skill I may still have :razz:) and player damage to 1/2 (as in Singleplayer it's a pain in the arse to be leading a massive battle, take a single jarid/throwing axe to the face and then the battle ends).

I've played over 2 years on easy and I'm now playing on normal (40%) difficulty and I really do recommend to play on normal or even hard because you really need more battle skills even on normal (been taken down rather often :smile:) so after all, it improves you battle skill if anything.

Ps: Javelins and every sort of throwing weapons do hurt so be careful with those :smile:.

Crossbows are the worst when playing with normal damage settings. A stupid Swadian Militia can take a good 40% of my life eventhough I have ~60 body armor and 8 Ironflesh.

Wendek said:
Crossbows are the worst when playing with normal damage settings. A stupid Swadian Militia can take a good 40% of my life eventhough I have ~60 body armor and 8 Ironflesh.
Yeah :grin: I hate it when that happens. It's pretty annoying that a level 2 soldier can almost instakill you with his lame crossbow. Same with Rhodoks. I guess it's OK for sharpshooters to do that, as they are high level.

Yeah the annoying part is that since xbows require no skill (unlike bows), a Swadian Militia is doing roughly the same damage as a Sharpshooter. Not *exactly* the same but way too close imo. Compare with bow users, where lower level units (Vaegir Skirmisher for instance) do almost nothing, but Marksmen actually hurt a ton.

On the other hand, when you're playing with Diplomacy, it means you can fill your garrisons with cheap and very effective defense thanks to the automatic recruiting and training. It only goes to tier 3 units from what I've seen, but since they deal the same as top-tier ones anyway... only problem is lack of armor and they suck once in melee, but when you're massing them in fiefs for defensive purposes it's still extremely effective.

Wendek said:
Yeah the annoying part is that since xbows require no skill (unlike bows), a Swadian Militia is doing roughly the same damage as a Sharpshooter. Not *exactly* the same but way too close imo. Compare with bow users, where lower level units (Vaegir Skirmisher for instance) do almost nothing, but Marksmen actually hurt a ton.

On the other hand, when you're playing with Diplomacy, it means you can fill your garrisons with cheap and very effective defense thanks to the automatic recruiting and training. It only goes to tier 3 units from what I've seen, but since they deal the same as top-tier ones anyway... only problem is lack of armor and they suck once in melee, but when you're massing them in fiefs for defensive purposes it's still extremely effective.
Exactly. I was thinking about the most cost effective soldier the other day. And strangely I came to the conclusion that Swadian Militia is the best, or maybe the Skirmisher because of guaranteed crossbow. These guys deal 30-40 damage per shot and only cost like 4 denars. Put a couple hundred of them in a castle and you have nothing to worry about.

Captain Lust said:
Recommended difficulty: multiplayer.
50849-Grumpy-Cat-GOOD-and-NO-memes-flSp.jpeg

If you know what you are doing, the highest difficulty settings can still be relatively easy. Success is more based on strategy than skill (of which I have little). I started out with all the hardest settings; however I had read FAQs, watched let's plays, and had the patience to cope with the challenges. Anyone can do it, but I don't know if YOU want to.

Back
Top Bottom