rebel loop is a joke

Users who are viewing this thread

The Great Grub

Sergeant
its nigh impossible to expand when cities not owned by the player are in a constant rebellion loop and wont stop rebelling
i am also struggling with this silly settlement management stuff and am constantly going round my settlements trying to get loyalty and security up which is practically impossible to do my kingdom has all the +loyalty policies got governors who are the same culture as the settlements, loyalty is lowered when a settlement has low security but if the said settlement has high prosperity then security will be getting lower and lower as the settlement gets richer and richer without any actual way(that i know of apart from doing the settlement quests which help a bit but doesn't stop the problem) to stop security from being lowered or to increase it and stop loyalty from dropping as a result leading to a constant rebellion loop for the ai and occasionally the player.
Maybe i dont understand how the settlement management works but as far as i am aware this system needs a rework.

I can't speak for AI factions managing cities, although within your faction it helps to be able to sway votes towards a culturally appropriate owner - I look to bribe clans in the faction who's city I take immediately before I take them, so that there are good owners ready for the vote.

Security and loyalty generally try to balance themselves - so don't stress about the drift or the total being negative, get the rest right and they'll work themselves out (E.g. if your loyalty is high, the drift will try to bring it down, and if it's low, it will try to bring it back up, with a delay). Security drift will balance for prosperity in the long run so long as you make sure the sum of the rest of the effects are in your favour. That can mean adding factors where you can - Security is a loyalty factor, so I tend to focus on boosting that rather than looking at loyalty itself. Find a culturally appropriate governor with good security perks - there's a mounted patrol type one that really helps. Also, I like to keep a relative in a party that is budgeted to be too small to be forced into an army - they hover about your cities ensuring looters don't get out of control.

If you still can't get security up, fill your garrison with cheap units. A strong garrison provides good security - but you'll have to increase it's budget over time as perks increase the garrison level/cost. I find 200 men is usually good enough if you're not expecting a siege, but you can add more if you can afford. Also a garrison over 300 will probably remove any chance of a rebellion simply by being too strong for militia. If you can get security up into the 90s, you'll no longer ever have loyalty issues. Also, once security is high, you can get in a a positive loop - where security gives your notables a buff, and they in turn provide you with influence, which in turn allows you to sway votes and keep armies. Loyalty will also add to this influence buff, but you won't see it as often if your city is a different culture to you.

And do your quests. It's hard to get loyalty up in a culturally different city, but once you have it organised, so long as you keep an eye on the quests, it will usually try to balance itself.

Failing that, a city will never rebel while you're in it. And you'll improve security... but your character might put on weight...

Last edited:
Vassals are hassles.

if the said settlement has high prosperity then security will be getting lower and lower as the settlement gets richer and richer
I had to load it up and look, but you're right. Prosperity does give a security reduction. The most strait forward way to increase security is to increase the garrison, but because prosperity also increases food needed, food really becomes the most important stat and the hardest to control. I would say as prosperity increases, replace lower tier garrison units with higher ones in proportion to the increase in pay (from prosperity) to get more security without spending more food. This of course won't work forever though and the AI will not do any of this in it's towns.

Everything about trying to rule vassals and expand in a normal way is pretty bad. Much funner just to murder everyone.
What gets me is that TW won't solve this the way I want, they won't add in the ability to for the player to CHOOSE to DO SOMETHING about it like "I don't want this town to rebel, so I give them food directly and build a private security force, so this town, because I choose to protect it, has security and food", "I choose to discover and destroy the future rebels and increase loyalty/security, not because of a rng quest, but because I choose to NOW." they may instead just go "oh players complain about rebellions, guess we'll make less and less rebellion's."

Last edited:
Food is fairly easy to manage tho. I just pick up stacks of grain as I move about the map and stash it by the bulk load. Then feed it into the city as required.

Nothing more annoying than showing up after an army has blown through and sucked all your food away. At least if I have 10k or so stashed, I can throw a couple of K grain into the store and be done with it.

Food is fairly easy to manage tho. I just pick up stacks of grain as I move about the map and stash it by the bulk load. Then feed it into the city as required.

Nothing more annoying than showing up after an army has blown through and sucked all your food away. At least if I have 10k or so stashed, I can throw a couple of K grain into the store and be done with it.
1: You can't make the town not sell the food you sell it.
2: Anytime you have to return to a town is a waste of time.
3: Ultimately the amount of food a town can require just doesn't work with the value of food and the price that will attract caravans to buy it, IOW you cannot just give the town enough food.
4: We should be able to fill the granary ourselves and not have to sell to the store. It's dum and lazy to not have that option.
5:We should be able to limit the prosperity (population) of our towns, NO VACANCIES, hit the road, so we can actually have well set up towns. It's...
6: We should be able to build more and more food supplies so that in time we can safely increase the population, if we want. It's...
7:We should be able to delegate a clan member to go buy and supply all of our granaries. It's...

It's all bad and adds nothing of value to the game. I want to capture a fief and be paid money and store troops, that's all, warband did it better.
If I can't proactively set everything up to expand expand expand then it's worthless, might as well have no fief and just eliminate every other clan.

I haven't noticed any AI rebellion loop. Occasionally Rebellion will happen, which is quickly stomped on by a major kingdom, this seems reasonable ,

I took advantage of rebellion and stole a city, I managed it by passing laws to raise Security and building.

Back
Top Bottom